Self-Booting motherboard? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-Booting motherboard? Why?

I have an ECS K8M800 M2 which is a Socket 754. As soon as you turn on the power supply the board boots itself, load the OS. You can't stop the board until you switch off the power.

You can hold down the power button and it turns off, but as soon as you take your finger off the button, it starts up again.

Board is being tested out of the case. No vented caps, but they are all OST.

What is happening here and can it be fixed?

Re: Self-Booting motherboard? Why?

Could be a faulty switch or a dodgy power supply.
    I've seen both do as you describe.

Comment

what does it do if you disconnect the front panel switch from the motherboard?

Comment

does the psu start on it's own?

Comment

Some boards also have a jumper that will start them automatically.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

The board is out of the case. It starts without any power switch connected. I have a test switch ( 2 leads and a push button) that I used to try and power the board off. As long as I kept my finger on the test switch, that board stayed off, but when I released the button, the thing booted itself again.

I will try another PSU , but this one works with other boards. There is 1 jumper, JP3, for "BIOS Protect", pins 1-2 enable, pins 2-3 disable. I will experiment with this.
            I've had this auto-start behavior on old P3 boards, but they never booted.

The PSU and the board start together, as if I had pushed the power button. I turn the rocker switch on the PSU to "ON" and the board and PSU start together.

Comment

Is your "test switch" a momentary ON ( the leads SHORT when pressing the switch button) OR a momentary OFF ( the leads OPEN when pressing the switch button)?

Using the wrong type of switch (Normally Closed,N.C.) will cause this to happen. I suggest checking all your switches with a continuity checker.

Also by default your board will turn off by pressing and holding down the power switch on the motherboard for more than 4 seconds. Soft-Off feature.

Comment

Some boards have in BIOS some settings for power on and for what to do after power loss.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

Re: Self-Booting motherboard? SOLVED

A couple of days ago, I tried removing the test switch and the bios battery from the board, sure enough it booted itself again as soon as I flipped the PSU switch to ON.

Removed the Bios battery and left the board alone. Today tried again. Flipped the PSU switch. Nothing happened. Turned off the PSU switch, Installed a new BIOS battery. Nothing. touched a screwdriver to the power button pins. Starts up, tells me to update the bios settings. I do so and save to BIOS. Hit the Enter key to restart. Board starts up, loads operating system. I select Shutdown from the menu. Machine stays off. PERFECT!

Obviously my dumb mistake. I should have drained the BIOS setting with the jumper. Removing the battery and leaving it to sit drained the previous BIOS settings and got rid of the automatic restart. I was sure the board was set to Stay Off after power outage, but having made this Noob mistake maybe not

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
                      A couple of days ago, I tried removing the test switch and the bios battery from the board, sure enough it booted itself again as soon as I flipped the PSU switch to ON.

Removed the Bios battery and left the board alone. Today tried again. Flipped the PSU switch. Nothing happened. Turned off the PSU switch, Installed a new BIOS battery. Nothing. touched a screwdriver to the power button pins. Starts up, tells me to update the bios settings. I do so and save to BIOS. Hit the Enter key to restart. Board starts up, loads operating system. I select Shutdown from the menu. Machine stays off. PERFECT!

Obviously my dumb mistake. I should have drained the BIOS setting with the jumper. Removing the battery and leaving it to sit drained the previous BIOS settings and got rid of the automatic restart. I was sure the board was set to Stay Off after power outage, but having made this Noob mistake maybe not
                      Power On AC Loss?

I know this feature exists on some motherboards.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                        Power On AC Loss?

I know this feature exists on some motherboards.
                        Exactly what it is, most mb have a setting to power on after ac power lost. Good for server and headless. I use it in most of my stuff.

Taking the battery out reset the cmos thus the setting is revert back to default, to stay off. You can also open cmos menu and reset all settings back to default.

Comment

It is listed in the manual (page 41) In bios under Power Management Setup
                          PWRON After PWR-Fail (Off)
                          This item enables your computer to automatically restart or return to its last operating.
                          Last edited by R_J; 04-04-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X