Manjaro Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manjaro Linux

After my problems with PureOS and Zorin, I decided to load Manjaro XFCE on its own hardrdrive so as to avoid partitioning screwups.

This is an Arch-based distro. It installed painlessly and quickly. I've never used an Arch-based distro before so a lot of the software is new to me.

The amount of software available in this distro is enormous. You could spend forever getting acquainted with all the applications. Lots of Sofware categories outside of the usual Distro. Games section is huge, also Science, Education etc.

Some Gnome apps and KDE apps are in there.

Performance is very good. XFCE seems quicker than GNOME. I also use Linux Mint XFCE which is really excellent too. It's more familiar to me as it's software set is similar to the MATE and CInnamon Distros from Linux Mint.

About the only quibble so far with Manjaro is the wallpapers available which are minimalist and unattractive (to me).

Any other Arch-Linux users with suggestions on what's good and what's not?

Re: Manjaro Linux

what sort of problems come with PureOS ? its just i was thinking of trying it next month when i have enough data allowance to download it .

have been running ubuntu for many years now with very minimal problems
    Last edited by petehall347; 03-28-2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I tried Manjaro LXDE 3 times in the past. It would work well for a few weeks and then some upgrade would eventually leave it in a non booting state. This happened 3 times and after the 3rd time, I decided to stay with Lubuntu on my test machine for now.

While I could have found the answer to why it wouldn't boot, I don't think it is ready for the average user. With Lubuntu, I have never had a problem where it would fail to boot after an upgrade.

I have tried a lot of distros in 2014, but for everyday solid reliable performance, I settled on Lubuntu.

On my test machine, I'm willing to try anything, but staying away from all the fat bloated distros.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
        After my problems with PureOS and Zorin, I decided to load Manjaro XFCE on its own hardrdrive so as to avoid partitioning screwups.
        It helps if you have a separate physical PC just for testing. On my local kijiji, I can find dual cores (core2duo) in the $10 to $20 range.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
          what sort of problems come with PureOS ? its just i was thinking of trying it next month when i have enough data allowance to download it .

have been running ubuntu for many years now with very minimal problems
          My previous tthread on Linux Distros outlined the problems, but to recap, the partition manager used by Pure destroys whatever data is in your target partition. In Ubuntu and it's derivatives you get to resize without data loss.

Also, Pure would not recognize my USB keyboard, I had to quit the install. When I booted up again my Ubuntu 18.04 had been wiped out and the Pure partition had 500 bytes of data in it.

Comment

Whenever I try stuff, it ends always with Linux Mint.
            Because most stuff comes in a .DEB Package these days. And that's only compatible with Debian based Linux shit. And Mint is based on Ubuntu wich is based on Debian.

The only thing other than Mint that I've used for a longer period of time is OpenSuSe...

OpenSuSe has some kind of Auto Updater that at least annoys you at login that there are new updates. Don't remember if there is an auto update setting though...

With Linux Mint there is no such thing and you have to install the updates manually - wich is rather stupid for a more or less beginner OS.

If you want to sell it to the uninformed Populus, you should activate some kind of Auto Update thing or it should come with something like that...

Bad thing with OpenSuSe is that its a bit of a pain to install other stuff like Discord...
            Last edited by Stefan Payne; 03-29-2018, 01:17 AM.

Comment

I've tried Manjaro a few times. There are some things I really like on it, but it breaks to often for my liking. So I went back to Linux Mint and Ubuntu. I've screwed Linux Mint up on time myself and I had to reinstall the NVIDIA driver once, because a update had screwed that up. Other than that it has been A1 reliable to me. I am running Linux Mint on 3 computers here and Ubuntu on one computer. Works like a charm and no headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                There are some things I really like on it, but it breaks to often for my liking.
                Yep, it mirrors what I found.

I also tried Linux Mint, but since Mint runs on top of Ubuntu and Ubuntu runs on top of Debian, I figured I didn't need the extra overhead.

I would run Debian LXDE natively, but the Ubuntu fonts are so nice and easy to read, I'm sticking with Lubuntu.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  I also tried Linux Mint, but since Mint runs on top of Ubuntu and Ubuntu runs on top of Debian, I figured I didn't need the extra overhead.
                  Uh... doesn't exactly work that way. The "overhead" if there is any is done by the maintainers of ubuntu/mint - your PC does not see that "overhead." There's nothing "extra" that runs "on top" - they merely flavored the Linux and packaged it for you.

If you really care about this so-called "overhead" you might well run LFS where you get as little packaging/flavoring at all.

Comment

I have old Pc with 32Bit and tried many of those distros but always go back to Xubuntu 14.04 Xfce

Comment

Wait, wasn't manjaro a rolling release distribution??

If so, then you know why its dying from time to time. Not everything is well tested.

Comment

Anyone else here run a rolling release and keeps up with the rolling?

I have to say it's "fun" with the breakages that happen from time to time... Fortunately updates work just fine nowadays...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                          Anyone else here run a rolling release and keeps up with the rolling?

I have to say it's "fun" with the breakages that happen from time to time... Fortunately updates work just fine nowadays...
                          Last time I tried Manjaro 2 months ago on 2 different computers and ran it for 8 weeks or so and did the rolling update. Both went back to Linux Mint. Some stuff flat out doesn't work like it does in Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Other stuff I liked working better in Manjaro. However it broke too often for me. I don't have that kind of time to frig around with computers because they did an update. Other than that I could have stayed with Winblows. I do like Manjaro, but it is too buggy for me to consider it at this point. If the Manjaro team is able to sit on their @$$es, fix the known issues and are a bit more careful with these cutting edge updates, I may consider it again.

Comment

I've been using Gentoo for over a decade now. Yes, the rolling release is frustrating at times.

Comment

Working...
                            X