Help With Generic Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Generic Monitor

Hello I am new to this forum, and have been googling forever and finally wound up here. Sorry if this is the wrong place! Here is the deal, I have a Sony PCG-GRT170 laptop and always wanted a second monitor. Due to desk space a stand alone wouldnt cut it so I wanted wall mount. I ebayed a monitor and a wall mount, so far so good. The monitor however is completely generic, no brand that I can see. The guy had good feedback on such a monitor before so it seemed alright, it was about 100 bucks, 17" LCD specifically for wall mount.

Here is a picture of said monitor

It was all working fine until about a 4 days after I got it. It shut off while in use and would only stay on for a few seconds. I let it sit for about 4 hours and it worked fine after that and I continued to use it for a month trouble free. A month later the same problem happened again, except waiting didnt help. I concluded the monitor didnt work, I tried it on various other computers and same problem. I emailed the ebayer who said I didnt have a warrenty *sigh*. So I shipped it out to LA to a repair place at www.fixmymonitor.com Man were they incompetant, they're customer service was horrible, im pretty sure its just one guy. He said he couldnt recreate the problem (ya right whatever) so he had to ship it back, I was out 25 bucks for shipping with nothing fixed. When I got it I mounted it again and it worked, I was happy. However then it happened again, it shut off but I noticed that the image was still there, just the backlight went off. I tried turning it on and off a few times and it didnt work it shut off after 10 seconds again. I let it sit off while I did a few things around the house now it is staying on without a problem.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Re: Help With Generic Monitor

There might be a bad contact or solder joint on the backlight inverter.

Comment

Locate the inverter board and you'll find the problem.
      Jim

Comment

Im sorry is there step by step instructions or anything? I know very little about LCD monitors.

Comment

Another place you might want to look for a bad solder joint is at the CCFL tube connection itself. I had a Sony 18.1" LCD that exhibited a similar problem. It would usually work for a minute or two, then the backlight would go out. It turns out that one of the solder joints where the HV wire connected to the top CCFL had gone bad. I only found it after carefully removing the rubber bung that insulates the end of the tube. After resoldering the connections, and cramming that mess back into the insulation, its been working fine for over a year now.

Comment

I dont think I want to try and repair it myself unless it is very easy, I dont know what I am doing and could easily break it, or worse hurt/kill myself. Does anyone know of a place that fixes LCDs well and cheaply?

Comment

Anyone? The problem has come back!

Comment

where are you?
                i do lcd repairs but if on the other side of the pond the shipping will kill you.

Comment

I am in NJ

Comment

Working...
                  X