buzzing sound from monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buzzing sound from monitor

I have a Princeton Graphics Arcadia 35 inch CRT 4:3 HDTV. I am posting this in the computer display forum because it also has 2 VGA inputs and supports 1024x768 (I am using it as a TV and HTPC display). The monitor is about 5 years old, it served as a monitor in my NOC at my office. We were getting rid of them so I got it for free.

The problem is, after about 20 minutes, it starts to emit a humming sound. The sound stays the same level no matter how long I leave it on after that. Power cycling the monitor resolves the problem for another 20 minutes.

The good news is that there are several identical sets still at my office that I could ransack for parts if need be. I just do not know how to identify the faulty compoenent/s. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Thanks.

Brian

Re: buzzing sound from monitor

I believe that is a thermal problem, if the problem happens when the monitor is turned on when it has been off for several hours.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

The buzzing starts after about 20 minutes, regardless of how long the monitor had been off. Shutting off the monitor for 1 second fixes the problem for another 20 minutes, so I do not think it is a thermal issue. Also, the buzzing sound is not gradual, it comes on all of a sudden.

Brian

Comment

most likely loose smps transformer/flyback core.
        take the back off and poke around with a plastic stick to see.

Comment

Working...
        X