Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell E153FPc lcd with bad caps in the power inverter board

Hello,
    I hope this is in the correct thread. Regarding TAICON caps, I have a Dell E153FPc lcd with bad caps in the power inverter board (715L1074-H). The obviously bad one is a HERMEI 1000uF 16V. It had swollen upward out of the plastic coat to the point I thought it was a different type capacitor. There is another of same specs, still looking normal but I figure to replace it based on the failure of its sibling.

I have two TAICOM 1000uF 16V (10x16mm) of the "HI" series. Would these be an acceptable replacement? Taicom spec sheet indicates a ripple value of 2000 for this paticular cap.

The other caps are smaller HERMEI 470uf 16V (purple jacket w/ silver lettering), one 150uF 25V, others are small non-suspect values.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: TAICON Capacitors?

Originally posted by DixiePenguin
    Hello,
    I hope this is in the correct thread. Regarding TAICON caps, I have a Dell E153FPc lcd with bad caps in the power inverter board (715L1074-H). The obviously bad one is a HERMEI 1000uF 16V. It had swollen upward out of the plastic coat to the point I thought it was a different type capacitor. There is another of same specs, still looking normal but I figure to replace it based on the failure of its sibling.

I have two TAICOM 1000uF 16V (10x16mm) of the "HI" series. Would these be an acceptable replacement? Taicom spec sheet indicates a ripple value of 2000 for this paticular cap.

The other caps are smaller HERMEI 470uf 16V (purple jacket w/ silver lettering), one 150uF 25V, others are small non-suspect values.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Welcome Dixie.
    If you repost in the Troubleshooting TVs and Video source section, you should find a more direct adivice (eg. replace them all, or you should check this pieces): this is a general thread about Taicon caps.
    Anyway I don't know if Taicon HI caps are good enough, but I think you should replace those 470 uF Hermei too because it proved to be an unreliable brand.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

Re: Dell E153FPc lcd with bad caps in the power inverter board

topic split to section

i think HI would be fine
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

1000uF TAICOM sounds fine with 2000 ripple.

I agree about changing the other HERMEI out too.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Many thanks! I was planning on replacing the other Hermie caps as well, good to have independent recommendations though. I am hoping that the recap will recover the lcd. I checked everything and found only the real obvious problems on the inverter board. The symptoms fit the diagnosis by others online, i.e. power button lights then immediately shuts off.

This is first try at an lcd project. I have been recapping motherboards for about a year with mostly good results. I have mainly used caps recovered from damaged (dropped and broken) boards but am hopefully going to be able to build up a supply of new components.

I will let you know how the lcd attempt comes out.

Thanks again,folks.

Comment

If unsure, just replace the 5v capacitor, usually this is the only controlled rail in those psu`s, but sometimes it is the 12v rail.

Another very common failure with this symptoms are open circuit pico fuse, which could be caused ba the bad caps or simply by ageing.
            Picfo fuses should usually test for 0,0R, but they may develop a higher resistance over time.

Comment

Hi,
              I got the project finished about 1:30am Sunday. I now have a nice bright lcd, and a jealous son-in-law since he didn't have time to fix it and passed it to me .

Sorry for the bad quality photos, I can't find my mini-tripod and I was unsteady when taking the shots.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and tips.

Bill
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DixiePenguin; 03-16-2008, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Fantastic! I have a couple of these monitors that I need to revive. Where did you get your capacitors for this project? And which ones did you end up getting?

Comment

Hi,
                  Thus far all the capacitors I have been using are salvaged from other equipment that is beyond epair (burned motherboards and other pcb).

Comment

Originally posted by Machelle
                    Fantastic! I have a couple of these monitors that I need to revive. Where did you get your capacitors for this project? And which ones did you end up getting?
                    I would recommend Panasonic FC caps from Digikey or e-mail Topcat with your cap values.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Wonderful! I've got three of these that are all showing similar signs (blacklight turns off after a sec or two of being on, but menu is still there with a bright flashlight).

I'll have to try this out.

peace

Comment

hmm, can't edit here I suppose.

Anycase, caps come in yesterday from thecapking.com and after a few hours of soldering and assembling, now all three monitors are working great!

I only replaced the two 1000uF HERMEIs and now the backlight works great.

peace
                        Last edited by spaceman; 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM. Reason: misspell

Comment

Working...
                        X