White patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White patches

A lot of my clients ask me about this issue on thier LCDs and I can't really explain to them what these patches are. I see them on some of the IBM Thinkvision ones in the school computer lab as well.
    I'm not really sure how to describe this, but they are like small white patches and can be in random areas of some displays.

They are usually range from about the size of a fingertip to the size of a USB flash drive and unnoticeable under bright colours.
    Under dark colours they stand out but not noticeable to the untrained eye. I recently bought a 15" CMV LCD and it has a mark like this on the right corner of the display.

It isn't a pressure mark like someone pushed on the LCD real hard, but more like an area lighter than the other areas. Trust me, I've LCD pressure marks and they are very different.... marks left on LCDs due to excess pressure are usually dark spots and can also contain deformed pixels sometimes.

I'm not panicking over small blemishes like this on a second hand, half priced 15" CMV LCD display. But a few of my clients complain about these issues all the time and it would be nice if I could explain to them what these marks are. I even had one lady return a whole LCD over one bright dot on the screen, luckily it was under warranty for the 30 day ZBD program Asus had a while back.

I think these bright patches on the LCD are particularly normal and not life threatening to the LCD because I do have a client who complained about the issue about 3 years ago when he got his second hand LCD which still works fine today. But yes, I would like to know the scientific name for these bright patches so I can explain to my clients.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: White patches

Those are light beams. Near the edge/corners?

And there are "patches" in some places on the LCD itself. Usually found on low quality LCDs and older LCDs and many popular LCD brands especially if there's high demand for particular models.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
      Those are light beams. Near the edge/corners?
      My clients mostly complain about the ones in the middlish of the display. If it's around the edge I usually don't get complaints, but if I do I just say it's light bleeding around the edges which is normal I suppose. But it's the ones in the middle areas of the display which I can't explain.

Usually found on low quality LCDs and older LCDs
      Yup, you are correct. Most of the complaints I get about these patchy issues are from budget displays or second hand displays.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

When you edit a somebody's, please include whole as this is "out of context" when left that last string out:

"-and many popular LCD brands especially if there's high demand for particular models".

This still applies. I see this often as makers often sub the panel with lesser make in a well regarded brands to keep up with demand. That's aka panel lottery.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

When you edit a somebody's, please include whole as this is "out of context" when left that last string out:

"-and many popular LCD brands especially if there's high demand for particular models".

This still applies. I see this often as makers often sub the panel with lesser make in a well regarded brands to keep up with demand. That's aka panel lottery.

Cheers, Wizard
          Sorry about that. I didn't realise that mistake until now.

Comment

Working...
          X