Linux Distros : Mint, Zorin and Ubuntu - my 2 cents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Distros : Mint, Zorin and Ubuntu - my 2 cents

I started up one of my old boxes and discovered Ubuntu 11.04 on it, and it was still able to access Youtube etc. I always liked Ubuntu before they migrated to Unity desktop. I switched to Linux Mint and never looked back. But I decided to check out Ubuntu 16.04.4 because it was supposed to be a return to "classic" Ubuntu.

Major disappointment, still got the crappy tile things, with an Amazon tile(!). I had to row through the Software store to load Synaptic and when I loaded hardinfo and a few other apps they didn't show up in the tile bar. Also no log file viewer and no details when you are doing a software update.

Next I loaded Zorin OS-12-2 64-bit. Very pretty, but again no log file viewer or update detail. Also. don't check the "update while installing" button, as the update fails. Some program not found in the Zorin repository. Finally got it to restart the install without the "update while installing". That worked, but on reboot, the software update locked up the system. Did a hard shutdown, everything worked on reboot. Looks like the software update completed but the screen dialog crapped out.

So Linux Mint still rules. It and Zorin use the Ubuntu repositories. Don't understand how Ubuntu continues to suck! Lubuntu is better than Ubuntu, but lacks the polish of "old" Ubuntu.

Re: Linux Distros : Mint, Zorin and Ubuntu - my 2 cents

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
    But I decided to check out Ubuntu 16.04.4 because it was supposed to be a return to "classic" Ubuntu.
    Version 18.04, in beta, is supposed to revert back to GNOME desktop. So check out 18.04, not 16.04.04.

Download at

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 03-23-2018, 05:17 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
      That worked, but on reboot, the software update locked up the system.
      Eww! Sounds just like Windows Update-gate! At least on questionable installations, where Windows 8.0 and later fails while updating, then you have to hold down the power button, wipe the drive and start over!

Back in July, 2016, IIRC, had Windows 8.0 do that on a 2012 Acer laptop, pile of dog shit Windows 8.0, when almost done, suddenly said, "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. (or similar) Do not turn off your computer." and Windows 8.0 was then unresponsive!
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-23-2018, 07:22 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        Version 18.04, in beta, is supposed to revert back to GNOME desktop. So check out 18.04, not 16.04.04.

Download at

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
        Thanks Retiredcaps. Downloaded, Installed painlessly, using it now.

Comment

I don't know when Ubuntu last used gnome2 but the current incarnation of gnome, gnome3 is quite different than gnome2...

So even if it "reverted," it still may be different than before?

I'm basically using xfce4 now instead of gnome3...

Comment

have been using gnome flashback since it went to unity . no problems . was called gnome fallback
            on another note i will be trying pure os next month .. https://pureos.net/
            Last edited by petehall347; 03-24-2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
              I don't know when Ubuntu last used gnome2 but the current incarnation of gnome, gnome3 is quite different than gnome2...
              I'm not a GNOME user. Too much DRAM just to launch a couple of icons. I prefer LXDE and probably LXQT, if it ever gets released, and/or XFCE.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm not a GNOME user. Too much DRAM just to launch a couple of icons. I prefer LXDE and probably LXQT, if it ever gets released, and/or XFCE.
                Im trying to get windowmaker ported over myself....
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I'm not too fond of Linux in Desktop situations. Because its just decades behind Windows
                  And infested by (SJW) ideologues, who are stranded in their bubble without doing what needs to be done.

My Problem with Linux right now:
                  a) Maximize/Minimize without clicking the button only works on like 2 or 3 Desktops (AFAIR Gnome 3, Cinnamon and KDE)
                  b) Accessing Windows Shares doesn't work most of the time
                  c) KDE can't even stream files from Windows Shares. WTF?!
                  d) no Auto Update system

So until a big company (like Apple) does throw money (and paid people) at that shit and make their own Desktop based on Linux, it will always be the piece of Shit Desktop OS it is right now...

That I can't access Windows Shares is keeping me from Using Linux on my Laptop.
                  Because that's half of what I need.
                  The other half is playing videos...

Anyway, everytime I try Linux I'm annoyed pretty quickly for various reasons.

PS: Try OpenSuSe that's also pretty interesting. And you can choose KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon and LXDE as a Desktop...
                  But still has the same problems with accessing Windows Share, the Streaming Issue is a KDE Issue (what the fuck are they smoking to let THAT happen?!)

So I'm stuck with Windows, although I'd like to try other stuff.
                  Hackintosh is also an interesting option that works rather well - better than most Linux stuff, though its a pain to get it running...
                  Last edited by Stefan Payne; 03-25-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I'm not a GNOME user. Too much DRAM just to launch a couple of icons.
                    Sounds just like Windows Vista and later, LOL
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                      b) Accessing Windows Shares doesn't work most of the time
                      Well ive not had that issue before.... Heck, ive got Virtualbox booting media over SMB even... How are you managing the share?

The SJW issue... Ive got no clue what to do with. Gnome has it. FreeBSD has it really bad....
                      Last edited by goontron; 03-25-2018, 09:03 PM.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                        Well ive not had that issue before.... Heck, ive got Virtualbox booting media over SMB even... How are you managing the share?
                        With Windows 10, enabled it and Linux doesn't see no nothing (OK, Windows itself also does not, but you can access it directly with double backslash - Name of the PC and ENTER.

Oh and MacOSX has no problem finding it.

The SJW issue... Ive got no clue what to do with. Gnome has it. FreeBSD has it really bad....
                        Yes and that makes the "products" really garbage.

Gnome 3 is just bullshit.

Comment

^ Gnome 3 really is shit.. I can't argue with that. Bloated, SJW rampant, and ugly as all get out, and buggy. Gnome 2 (became Cinnamon) was good. But 3 is just shit.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Gnome2 became Mate not cinnamon... I suppose Cinnamon, XFCE, etc. still look sort of like Gnome2 but only Mate holds the heritage.

Comment

^ Gnome 3 really is shit.. I can't argue with that. Bloated, SJW rampant, and ugly as all get out, and buggy. Gnome 2 (became Cinnamon) was good. But 3 is just shit.
                              What about KDE 5? Even for KDE 4, back in 2010, IIRC, it took forever for the compiling tools to complete on Gentoo, I'm talking 12 hours or the like, if not 24 hours or the like! (Like downloading a Linux distro on 56K, LOL)

I wouldn't be surprised one little bit, if KDE 5 is a monster resource hog!
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-26-2018, 08:39 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

^ Thats why i never used KDE. Its a bigger pig than gnome 3.

Gnome2 became Mate not cinnamon... I suppose Cinnamon, XFCE, etc. still look sort of like Gnome2 but only Mate holds the heritage.
                                I get those mixed up often. Cinnamon is based off of 3* and MATE off of 2 as you say.

*According to Wikipedia.
                                Last edited by goontron; 03-26-2018, 09:50 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I'm hearing KDE5 is a monster too, alas I have not tried any KDE mostly because I hated how clunky CDE was (on either AIX or HPUX, I've forgotten)... I don't know what KDE is like on modern hardware. The Gnome3 eyecandy works smoothly on modern hardware unlike the eyecandy of CDE on those machines back then.

And we haven't even begun to complain about systemd...

Comment

Back in 2014, I tried a lot of distros to replace the end of support XP. Since all my computers are discarded by others as too old, I tried to pick a lightweight linux distro.

So I tried a lot of different DE like GNOME, LXDE, KDE, MATE, XFCE, etc. LXDE was the lightest in terms of DRAM while KDE was the biggest.

https://l3net.wordpress.com/lightweight-linux/

A KDE distro would consume about 600 MB just to boot into a pretty screen. LXDE, back then in 2014, would be around 100MB. On some distros, with optimization, I could get a LXDE desktop environment to boot using about 50 MB DRAM. See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=45

Even if I had the latest Intel/AMD CPU with 16GB DRAM and a fast SSD, I would still choose LXDE or some lightweight distro. The idea of a modern OS booting in under 1 second is appealing to me.

When I upgrade to Lubuntu 18.04 in May sometime, I'm installing used SSDs that I got for about $10 each in 3 machines that I primarily use. Hopefully, I can get boot time under 20 seconds with E8400 class machines.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Cinnamon > MATE.
                                      My beef with that is that many of the Windows Functions like Windows + Arrow Keys or other stuff like putting it to the edges does not work (to be honest: With Cinnamon it kinda does but it kinda looks ugly - still the best Linux Desktop IMO).

Granted, that also doesn't do it on OSX - wich is why I have to say that its the girly Girl Operating System...

And why the heck does nobody adopt the Device Manager from Windows???
                                      That thing is the best thing ever invented...

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                      What about KDE 5?
                                      Try playing a 4GiB 4h Movie from a Windows Share...

It just does not fucking work because it can not stream from Windows Shares for whatever reason...
                                      It has to download the whole file first...

And also it does not use any of the Windows hotkeys like STRG+F4 or ALT+F4 - Gnome does.
                                      Granted, OSX doesn't either...

But most of the other ones do adopt the Windows Hotkey, including (but not limited to) Cinnamon, Mate, LXDE, XFCE....
                                      KDE is the Odd one Out in this case...

And it doesn't even look that great or has many effects - like OSX does...
                                      Last edited by Stefan Payne; 03-27-2018, 03:22 AM.

Comment

A KDE distro would consume about 600 MB just to boot into a pretty screen. LXDE, back then in 2014, would be around 100MB. On some distros, with optimization, I could get a LXDE desktop environment to boot using about 50 MB DRAM.
                                        So, that means:
                                        KDE=Like Windows NT 6x, including the Nadella era!
                                        LXDE=Like 32-bit Windows XP
                                        Custom LXDE=Like Windows 2000
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Working...
                                        X