My cable set top box bad cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cable set top box bad cap

So I wish I would have taken pictures of this but one day my verizon cable box was restarting constantly and it would get just before the time shows up and fade out and turn off. You couldn't do anything with the tv box. So I took my tv off the top of it, small 32in led samsung and looking down through the vent clear as day is a blown cap bulged out the top. So I call verizon up and their like we need to send a tech out there to troubleshoot it. I told them No. I said I know exactly what's wrong with this box it has a blown capacitor that's it. I told them my background with fixing tv's and that's all that was needed. They said they would have to replace the box and I would have to mail it to them and they would send me another. I then said No again. I tried to bargain with the person on the phone and I said how about I fix your product and you give me HBO free for a year or something like that. They of course would not do that. Luckily enough there is a verizon store that had a box in stock that I could exchange it out with. But I just thought it was funny to see that and they wanted to waste so much time doing nonsense. So unfortunately I didn't get to fix the cap.

Re: My cable set top box bad cap

Originally posted by audiofreak19 View Post
    I told them my background with fixing tv's and that's all that was needed. They said they would have to replace the box and I would have to mail it to them and they would send me another...
    But I just thought it was funny to see that and they wanted to waste so much time doing nonsense.
    Typical for a big company to treat its customers like morons and just ex/change the product. But I can't totally blame them for that though. Some customers really can be idiots and this is a universal policy to cover their backs.

Comment

it's a legal liability thing,
      they cant be seen authorising or encouraging anybody to open the box incase of a shock or fire.

what they "could" have done though is send out an advance replacement so you can send the old one back in the same box.
      some company's do that.

some other company's know the boxes have a limited life & just send a replacement and say keep/bin the faulty one.

it's down to luck what the company policy is really.

Comment

Originally posted by audiofreak19 View Post
        So I wish I would have taken pictures of this but one day my verizon cable box was restarting constantly and it would get just before the time shows up and fade out and turn off. You couldn't do anything with the tv box. So I took my tv off the top of it, small 32in led samsung and looking down through the vent clear as day is a blown cap bulged out the top. So I call verizon up and their like we need to send a tech out there to troubleshoot it. I told them No. I said I know exactly what's wrong with this box it has a blown capacitor that's it. I told them my background with fixing tv's and that's all that was needed. They said they would have to replace the box and I would have to mail it to them and they would send me another. I then said No again. I tried to bargain with the person on the phone and I said how about I fix your product and you give me HBO free for a year or something like that. They of course would not do that. Luckily enough there is a verizon store that had a box in stock that I could exchange it out with. But I just thought it was funny to see that and they wanted to waste so much time doing nonsense. So unfortunately I didn't get to fix the cap.
        If you wanted to fix it, why didn't you, all you had to do was to order the same cap and replace it,i don't know why you wanted to do that! spend money out of your pocket, since they send you a working box for free?

Comment

Yea I wanted to fix it just for kicks and giggles but I didn't want to do it unless I got something for free from them for spending my money and time on their product. And I understand the legal liability and some Joe Schmo would just mess it up even more. But they wanted to mail me a new box which they said would take a week to get and I was like no that's not acceptable since I could fix it and be done with it now. But since the store was just 5 min away I was just gonna swap it. If it was any farther away I would have just fixed it myself for the convenience.

Comment

Working...
          X