Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XFX 7800GS intermittant no display on power up

Hi all,

Accidentally stumbled across this site thru my ventures of googling, got intrigued and started reading up. Now after digging through a few posts on here, it seems I may have an old video card that I tossed aside thinking that it was toast, when all it really needed was a few new caps.

Only problem here is that that there are no obvious signs of the caps being blown. They cap types look like they are polymer, which from what I have read dont really "pop" as such.

If I power on the PC with the video card installed (XFX 7800GS), the video card fan spins, but I dont get any output on the display (it doesn't even get the LCD out of standby mode).

Previously I could simply power off the computer, wait a few seconds then power it back on and everything would work fine. The problem started to get worse and worse to the point where I had to power cycle the PC a few times to get the video to display, eventually to the point where it wouldn't display at all. Once the display is up and running, it would stay running till I powered off the pc.

I have since replaced the video card with another model (Gigabyte 6600GT), albit a bit slower, it seems to work fine.

At the moment, I have a few limited tools to test with - cheap iron (will be investing a decent one shortly) & a digital multimeter.

To any of you more experienced techies out there, does this sound like there may be a problem with the cap(s) on this board? In my in-experienced opionion (I could easly be wrong) it sounds like one of the caps may have slowly given up and stopped giving power to one of the chips.

If it seems fixable, I would like to give an attempt at fixing it, and put it back to use :P

Any help/direction here, would be much much appreciated

Cap markings on the attached pic:
    (A) PS 5DC, 330, 16V (No brand marks, maybe Chemicon?)
    (B) 546, SVP, 1200, 4 (No brand marks, maybe Chemicon?)
    (C) 550, SVP, 180, 16 (No brand marks, maybe Chemicon?)
    (D) Sanyo, OS-CON, 510, 4, 7A 105oC
    (E) Rubicon, YK, 10Y, 100uF
    (F) ELNA, 16V, 47uF (M)
    Attached Files

Re: XFX 7800GS intermittant no display on power up

The Sanyo at D looks a little bulgy, but that could be the light. This might be one of the famous nVidia BGA problem chips.

Comment

(B) and (C) are Sanyo Solid Polymer.
      (E) Should be Rubycon YK 10V 100uF
      | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
      | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
      | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

So caps B,C, D & E are all reputable brands, and unlikely to fail, which leaves "A".

Are there any marks scribed in the top of those caps, that could be a vent? Sacon and some others frequently disguise electrolytics as solids.

Are the "A" caps through-hole or are they surface-mount?

It's a lot easier to replace through-hole caps than surface-mount.

Comment

The blue caps marked "A" are United Chemi-con PS series. Solid polymer, reliable, very unlikely to fail.

In fact, all of the capacitors on there appear to be reliable brands. I don't think this is a capacitor problem.

Was there any distortion in the graphics, or did it just fail to start? I see it has an extra power connector on the end of the board - what kind of power supply do you have? It's possible the replacement card is not as power hungry and doesn't stress the power supply as much.

Comment

Hi guys,

Cheers for all the tips.

Originally posted by jsog View Post
            The Sanyo at D looks a little bulgy, but that could be the light. This might be one of the famous nVidia BGA problem chips.
            Think it may just be the light. Even at first glace the top looks like it may be slightly raised, but if you look at it dead side on, it is flat. nVidia BGA, best I can do here is tin-foil and run a heat-gun over the chip -- is safe to do so? Or could I just ruin it completely?

Originally posted by POM_MJ View Post
            (B) and (C) are Sanyo Solid Polymer.
            (E) Should be Rubycon YK 10V 100uF
            Cheers for the updates, I'll try edit my orig post in a sec to reflect.

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
            Are there any marks scribed in the top of those caps, that could be a vent? Sacon and some others frequently disguise electrolytics as solids.
            Looks like the top and sides are 1 piece, no vent markings at all.

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
            Are the "A" caps through-hole or are they surface-mount?
            A, D, E & F are through-hole. B & C are surface mount.

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
            The blue caps marked "A" are United Chemi-con PS series. Solid polymer, reliable, very unlikely to fail.
            Cool thanks, I'll update the original post.

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
            Was there any distortion in the graphics, or did it just fail to start? I see it has an extra power connector on the end of the board - what kind of power supply do you have? It's possible the replacement card is not as power hungry and doesn't stress the power supply as much.
            No distortion of graphics. Just became harder to start the PC with the video posting. Before it completely gave up, I sometimes had to turn the pc on and off 4-5 times before the monitor would turn on. It seems as if the video bios wasnt 'posting'?

Cant remember the brand of the PSU (I'll open up the case in the morning and have a look), but it is a 400W one (about 6 years old now). Supposed to be good quality, as I have been told the same company makes power supplies for medical use.

Setup at the moment, is P4 Northwood 3.2GHz, Abit IC7 mobo, 2x 7200RPM HDDs, no optical drive, 2x 120mm fans, m-audio PCI sound card. Previously I've had this card running along side another 2x 7200rpm drives and an optical drive, and it seemed to run sweet.

The 6600GT I've got in there at the moment is running off the same power connector, although I'm guessing it doesn't use as much power.

I was under the impression that the cards didn't need the full ampage to boot - just under load when all the 3D stuff kicked in?

Edit: Ok seems I cant edit my original post to update the cap brand names.
            Last edited by illtech; 03-25-2011, 04:48 AM. Reason: Update quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by jsog View Post
              This might be one of the famous nVidia BGA problem chips.
              I agree.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by illtech View Post
                nVidia BGA, best I can do here is tin-foil and run a heat-gun over the chip -- is safe to do so? Or could I just ruin it completely?
                DIY reflow is kind of a nothing-left-to-lose thing.

Worst-case, not only does it not fix the board, it destroys the motherboard and power supply of the computer used to test it. Found a report of that yesterday. It was probably an oven-baked board, which ruined the caps and maybe other stuff. The nice thing about an AGP board is that you can probably find a disposable test computer.

Comment

Hi. I just oven baked my EVGA 7800Gs card and had to remove the purple cap "D" 510/4 sanyo 105C. Can anyone help me find capacitance? Voltage and where I can buy a replacement? Thanks.

Comment

That would be a 500uF 4 volts polymer capacitor.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yup, and one of these would do fine as a replacement

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=79
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X