Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netgear Prosafe GS116 16 port switch - bad cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear Prosafe GS116 16 port switch - bad cap.

I know there are internet blogs about the GS108 (8 port version); however no one mentions the 16 port version.

This is a small business "prosafe" model.

It is very compact; but gets pretty hot with little circulation.

After 7 years; the switch would give intermittent connection problems only for some computers on the network (lack of switching)

also, internet and high bandwidth would crawl along at times. This happened pretty suddenly and was hard to diagnose which is why I wanted to add to the knowledge base.

After disassembly, clearly 1 cap is bulging. However, everything else looked fine.

Contacted netgear and told them the cap was bulging; got an immediate RMA.

There is lifetime warranty. In some ways; I should have just recapped myself to save another item going to the landfill.

HOWEVER, don't have the time these days and also, for a mission critical environment; I would never trust my soldering skills.

So, off to RMA exchange it goes....
    Attached Files

Re: Netgear Prosafe GS116 16 port switch - bad cap.

These switches are rock solid (well, besides the occasional bad cap) didn't know they had lifetime warranty.

GS105, GS108, and GS116 are my absolute favorite unmanaged switches.

Comment

and it will fail again!
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

The deadly thing is that failure is intermittent and inconsistent.

For example; on my network; the local lan worked but the wan did not. I presume it has something to do with traffic volume issues. Also, only a few of the ports were showing issues (2?) which made it really hard to diagnose the problem.

I actually went with a cisco switch as a replacement in the meantime. I will get the warranty repair and probably keep that around as a backup switch after inspecting it for bad capacitors of course.

Comment

Just a follow-up.

They emailed me a brand new switch (version 2) as a replacement. I didn't bother opening up the sealed package. Will probably sell it off or keep it as a backup.

Comment

Originally posted by kleung View Post
            Contacted netgear and told them the cap was bulging; got an immediate RMA.

There is lifetime warranty.
            Chemicon KZG are known to fail in any type of heat situations.

I'm surprised at the lifetime warranty. Usually, there isn't enough margin in the low end commodity devices to cover warranty claims.

I suspect companies just hope for the user to upgrade and recycle the old stuff before the device fails.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

well, these swithces are marketed for "small business" use and are comparable to the cisco line.

cisco switches also have a lifetime warranty.

the 16 port switch sold for about $180 new at the time i believe.

they are still going for $150 these days.

I bought a cisco 16 port switch in the interim and that was $140

Originaly bought a dlink 16 port switch as a replacement but there are complaints about failed switches on the internet.

Comment

Many thanks for posting on this issue kleung. I had no idea they had a lifetime warranty. As soon as I saw your post, I got on netgear chat and had a new one coming to me in less than an hour. The longest bit was finding the newegg receipt. 6 year old and still under warranty! Seeing all the info on heat, mine was in a basement open lan closet, nice and cool for 5 years then it was moved to underneath an office desk. Still open but it was warmer and failed in the next year. I have not torn in down as it is going in for RMA. From what I can see through the sides of the switch it looks like the top of the center cap is swollen just like the one in your picture. Many many thanks for getting me a near free replacement for my 16 port switch. Weird things had been going on in that network segment, and now I know why and can fix them!

Comment

Have this same switch, Although with one popped cap it would only work somewhat correct on random ports. Changing said cap restored normal operation. Still using it to this day.

Comment

Working...
                  X