Tektronix 2212 bad 15uF caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tektronix 2212 bad 15uF caps

Gday! I've acquired a Tektronix 2212 with a good EHT and CRT. It had an unstable PSU i tracked down to bad solder on the main trafo last night and after finding that i decided to reflow the solder everywhere along the way checking the caps (out of circuit) and found two 15uF 16v electrolytic caps to be bad on the memory/computer board. could i replace these with film or polymer or should i use Lytics again? Thanks!
    Last edited by goontron; 04-25-2016, 07:25 AM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: Tektronix 2212 bad 15uF caps

whatever, its not going to be running 20+ hours a day like a pc or monitor.
    or is it??

Comment

i would suggest to use polymer if you can find them

Comment

Thanks STJ, took your advice since they were going to the ground plane anyway i decided to replace them with 22uF.
        decoupling?
        Either way, it's not in the signal path...
        Works great now!!
        It was surprising to find one with a good EHT module and no Horiz. problems for so cheap! The RIFA filter caps on the primary were leaking the famous brown goo though... https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32262
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

From what I have seen elsewhere, 15uF 16V seems like low leakage or tantalum units - given the age of the unit, were the defective units in cylindrical cans?
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
            From what I have seen elsewhere, 15uF 16V seems like low leakage or tantalum units - given the age of the unit, were the defective units in cylindrical cans?
            Yes. they where Philips electrolytics.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
            X