Geforce 8600GT card with blown caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geforce 8600GT card with blown caps

I figured this thread was more about "rubbish" Sacon FZ caps, than any particular board, my appologies. At any rate I didn't think I could start a thread without an existing post. I will start a post after I get pix and a fix.
    Last edited by asand1; 10-07-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I just fixed my XFX 8600GT video card yesterday. It went bad so I checked the board, I found 3 blown FZ caps; 2 x 1500uF 6.3V and 1 x 1000uF 6.3V. I couldn't find replacement caps locally, so I started going through old equipment I had laying around and found the exact caps I needed. I pulled them off the old boards and soldered them into the XFX 8600GT board and it all worked perfectly.

Thank goodness for BadCaps.net, you guys turned me on to this industry problem and I've since salvaged my HP printer, and this XFX card.

Comment

Hi to all of you! This is my first writing here :-)
        I have blown capacitors in my geforce video card too.....I can't find easly 1500uF 6.3V capacitors, can I use instead 2200uF capacitors? (I think that if the capacitors are for the power section, there would be no problem...what do you think?)

Thanks from Italy ;-)

Comment

Can anyone help me? :-) Thanks very much :-)

Comment

2200uF is a bit much.

Order the capacitors online, this shop is good:

http://it.farnell.com/panasonic/eeuf...-3v/dp/1219448
            http://it.farnell.com/panasonic/eeuf...0uf/dp/1800608
            http://it.farnell.com/rubycon/6-3zl1...-3v/dp/1144672

Comment

Thank you but what the hack, 2 euros for 5 capacitors and....9 euros for the shipping??? Thieves!!!

Comment

They charge 9 euro for a capacitor or for 5 Kg of parts.... most people order more than just a few capacitors so it's quite a reasonable shipping fee.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                  They charge 9 euro for a capacitor or for 5 Kg of parts.... most people order more than just a few capacitors so it's quite a reasonable shipping fee.
                  I don't agree :-)
                  It is not reasonable to charge the same amount for 0.001Kg or 5Kg of stuff!
                  Who is going to take all that money to deliver such a little thing?
                  However, luckely I found a shop in my city that sells 1500uF capacitors :-) They are 16V but that's ok!

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, but are they good 1500uF capacitors?

Usually when I order from element14, I just throw in a few fans or some flux-off spray, to make the order over $50. Then I get free shipping.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well, I only needed the capacitors, so there was no teason form me to spend 50 Euros to repair an old Graphic Card.

The capacitors I found are branded "KSC" (105 celsius degrees max), then I have other "Elna" capacitors (1000 and 470 uF to substitute all the graphic's caps)
                      Are they any good? However I think they will last until the card will be too much old for a new repairing, no? :-)

Comment

KSC is usually found in very cheap power supplies that don't last very long (if they work at all) - typical cheap stuff, really. The Elna caps are likely general purpose caps. On the other hand, your video card needs caps with low ESR - and both KSC and Elna are not. So the repair may or may not work (most likely it won't, or if it does it may not be for too long).

My understanding is that Badcaps.net store offers international shipping for $8, and this is the capacitor stock:
                        https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=26
                        Last edited by momaka; 07-15-2012, 02:28 AM.

Comment

As a general rule, don't ever buy caps at local stores. They are usually low quality and/or general purpose.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well if he wants I can send him Nichicon HM or Panasonic FM or what I have here, for the Digikey price + 2$ for the postage/padded envelope. Should reach you within 5-7 working days.

So about 3.5$ in total... Lele if you're interested pm me with your address and I'll give you my paypal email to send money.

I don't generally offer as I don't want it to seem like I'm advertising myself or that I'm trying to "steal" sales from Badcaps... hope it's allright in this case.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments and to mariushm for your offert!

I just replaced the 1500uF capacitors with the new KSC caps, first of all I'm going to try if the card works, then I'll let you know

By the way, in the past I had been repairing, for some months, CRT televisions as a job in a little company, and when there where components that needed replacement (transistors, diodes, resistors excetera and also capacitors too) we used to took replaicing parts form local stores (so Elna and KSC capacitors for example...). TVs were working well after the repairs (I repaired TVs with local stores components both into the power circuitry section and into the signal circuitry section too)...are CRT tvs so much different from graphics card in internal electronics? I don't think really, do you?

Thanks.
                              I'll let you know about the card!

P.S: how is my english?
                              Last edited by Lele81; 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

It may work well when it's in your shop, but you never know how well it's going to work after it leaves to the client.

Some circuits may have bigger tolerances which means they'll accept these crappier caps and work fine. Other circuits may need better quality capacitors which could cause a failure to show up in a short time but not right away...

This failure can simply be the capacitor getting toasted or leaking electrolyte due to it not being able to handle the ripple, or the capacitor overheating due to its high esr..
                                You may also see inductors starting to whine because some frequencies changed due to the crap capacitor, mosfets may start to oscillate or pop after a while.

Especially in power supplies, you should keep in mind the user could have totally different power conditions - you may have 230v/50Hz at the socket while the client may be miles away from the power station and get 220v or he could be near a factory which screws up the frequency - I've had a friend who had as low as 47Hz frequency at mains due to a factory near him.

ps. your English is ok, no need to worry about it, I can understand you with no problems. I've read much worse English than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lele81 View Post
                                  I just replaced the 1500uF capacitors with the new KSC caps, first of all I'm going to try if the card works, then I'll let you know
                                  Certainly.

By the way, in the past I had been repairing, for some months, CRT televisions as a job in a little company, and when there where components that needed replacement (transistors, diodes, resistors excetera and also capacitors too) we used to took replaicing parts form local stores (so Elna and KSC capacitors for example...). TVs were working well after the repairs (I repaired TVs with local stores components both into the power circuitry section and into the signal circuitry section too)...are CRT tvs so much different from graphics card in internal electronics? I don't think really, do you?
                                  They are quite different, actually.

Graphics cards and other computer hardware run at high frequencies and the integrated chips on them require a very stable and clean voltage to work properly without making the operating system crash or give errors.

CRT TVs, on the other hand, do not care that much at all about how stable the voltages are. Also CRT TVs usually use general purpose caps to begin with, so those KSC caps may be fine there for many years before any problems start showing. If the TV doesn't run hot, they may work there even way past the useful life of the TV.
                                  Now try those KSC caps on the power supply of an LCD TV, and I guarantee they will go bad within a year - especially if the TV runs in a warm room.

P.S: how is my english?
                                  It's actually better (both grammatically and otherwise) than some of my friends who were born here in the USA .
                                  Last edited by momaka; 07-15-2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                    PCBONEZ, Lifetime warranty rarely means your lifetime, but rather, the expected lifetime of the component

Goldencloud, What is the diameter on the 470uF caps? Could be either 8mm or 10mm
                                    If they are 10mm, these should work, or these for 8mm. For the other 1500s, use these
                                    Hi ... I've got a AXLE 8500GT and the FZ81 - 1500uf - 6.3v ... capacitors are swollen ... I tried your links but not working ... could you update the link for the link pertaining to capacitor with the 1500uf - 6.3v ... rating ...

Thanks ... Sincerely ... Mach10

Comment

Working...
                                    X