Linksys WAG160N - bad Teapo SY and SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys WAG160N - bad Teapo SY and SC

I found that a Linksys WAG160N would keep randomly losing its Internet connection (and access to configuration pages) on the wired Ethernet ports (Internet connectivity of the wireless section was OK even when this happens), of which required disconnection and reconnection of power to temporally fix this problem.

Upon opening, it revealed the following electrolytics:

C165: 12V (Teapo SC - bulging near wired LAN switch IC )
    C186: 1.8V (Teapo SY - not bulging)
    C187: 3.3V (Teapo SY - not bulging)
    C188, C189: DC input (Teapo SY - bulging)
    C142, C143: 1.8V (Chemi-Con KY - OK)

Replacing all of the Teapo SY and SC series units fixed this problem.
    It was rather hot inside this unit too, like a number of others as well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by japlytic; 12-18-2010, 08:53 PM. Reason: Pictures
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Linksys WAG160N - bad Teapo SY and SC

An update:
    The modem works, but still has some intermittent problems.
    So I decided to open the AC adaptor and found that it also had bad electrolytic capacitors (Luxon LZ Series before and after the output inductor; the one before it was bulging). The other two were Luxon SM Series.
    Fortunately, I was able to seal up the adaptor after replacing all four electrolytic capacitors.
    A client of mine has the same model, most likely with the same problem thanks to the electrolytics department.
    Attached Files
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
      Fortunately, I was able to seal up the adaptor after replacing all four electrolytic capacitors.
      You did well. I recently replaced an AC adapter over bad caps since I had to smash the case to get a look inside.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Japlytic; How old is your WAG160N? I have the same unit, a version 1, and I'm curious to know what age it got to before it started playing up?
        'Let's not forget, It's only Money'

Comment

@japlytic: what value have the C165: 12V (Teapo SC - bulging near wired LAN switch IC ) capacitor?

Comment

It was about two years old (probably a little under) since it started acting up due to bad capacitors.
            It's been a long time since I repaired this unit, so I think C165 would be a 470uF unit.

Comment

Thanks a lot m8!

Comment

@japlytic... your pic looks different to my WAG160N I bought it 18 months ago.

Comment

japlytic... your WAG160N pic looks different to my WAG160N V2 which I bought in March last year.

Comment

I've repaired two of these WAG160N units now, same problem TEAPO 470mf and 100mf caps.. replaced with panasonics

Comment

Hi,
                      want to do the same job but i am not able to disassemble the logic board from the back plastic chassis, is there any hidden screw?
                      Thanks

Comment

Ok, I figured by myself, the board was sticked to the metal plate with the thermal compound. Probably later i'll go to buy caps

Comment

Working...
                        X