Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultra LSP650 PSU Worth Fixing?

Hello Everyone.

I've successfully repaired a monitor or two in my life. Thanks in part to badcaps.net of course.

I obtained an Ultra LSP650 PSU (Worth about $60).

It has at least 8 bad caps.

I've never worked on a PSU before. Is this worth the trouble?

Should the tiny caps in the pictures also be replaced?
    Can anyone offer suggestions for replacement caps?

From what I can see:
    6 - 2200uF 10V
    2 - 2200uF 16V
    1 - 470uF 16V

Thanks for any help or information.

Attached Files
    Last edited by StodgyWaif; 08-19-2014, 06:26 PM.

Re: Ultra LSP650 PSU Worth Fixing?

it might be ok for light work after a recap but its no 650w.
    call it "acceptable" at 300 or so.

Comment

Thanks for the reply kc8adu

I suppose it's probably not worth the $ or effort then.

Is this always the situation with recapping power supplies?

Comment

not true,
        it's worth fixing because it's a well built looking psu.
        you should replace all the caps with the possible exception of the 2 big mains filters.
        because the small caps will stop it turning on if they dry up.

panasonic FR,FK and FC will make that a nice backup / test psu.

Comment

It could do 400W, but don't expect more.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Really, if the PSU can only operate at a reduced capacity then it isn't worth my trouble.

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

^
              It's not that it will operate at a reduced capacity as a result of the recap. That thing was never capable of 650W from day 1. Ultra lied about the rating and fraudulently sold a 350-400W unit as a 650W.

If it was mine, though, I would absolutely recap it. for $5-10 in caps and maybe a hour of time, it's totally worth it IMO.
              Last edited by c_hegge; 08-20-2014, 07:19 PM.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Another vote for "worth recapping". That platform *can* do 650W, just not with those output inductors and transformer. Maybe twice the size, that'll do. The diodes may need some beefing up too...

But anyway, that's a good 400W unit there. It's worth fixing and keeping around for a secondary computer or for testing random parts.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

That's a competent Solytech build right there. I bet it could do 500W no problem. The new Allied AL-D500-EXP can do about 500W with half bridge configuration and 35 transformer. That one looks like double forward. I think 650W is still asking way too much from it. I have one that looks just like it with a 39 transformer. Worth a recap.

Comment

Working...
                  X