Sparkle nvidia GTX 660 black screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparkle nvidia GTX 660 black screen

I have an Nvidia gtx 660 graphics card that runs fine in safe mode but when you try and boot into windows normally i'm getting no video at all after the welcome screen just a blank screen and with just the standard vga driver installed but when you install any nvidia drivers and boot normally it just stays blank even though i've tried various driver versions too ?

Re: Sparkle nvidia GTX 660 black screen

Broken soldering on GPU. You can try to reflow it but it won't last long, sending it in to a shop for reballing would be the proper solution.

However, you may find that it is not worth repairing, and it is better value for the money to upgrade to a new card.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

is /was this on ebay?
      because i just saw a similar desciption on one there.

Comment

No it's one i've had for a while it works fine when run as standard vga in both normal mode and safe mode but when you install drivers you can only boot into safe mode and not normal mode. I think if it was gpu then i wouldn't be able to do either there would be no video at all if that was the case.

Comment

bad driver maybe - try a Linux live disk.
          or an older driver version.

Comment

Been through all the nvidia drivers from 310. right through to the latest 340 and still the same result i'm begining to suspect it maybe hardware related as i've been through registry fixes and bios flashing both on the pcie card and mainboard and the result is either a blank screen after the welcome screen or multi coloured screens either solid green or pink sometimes and occasionally blue (but not BSOD). Event viewer in windows doesn't really help either. So i'm thining it has to be something on the board like faulty ram brick or a resistor has blown or something like that. Like i've said it works fine without any drivers in both modes but with drivers installed it will only boot into safe mode without any issues.

Comment

This is the card type It's a sparkle nvidia geforce GTX 660 2gb OC version
              http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b73...al-fan-oc.html
              Attached Files

Comment

It isn't a driver issue. The GPU chip has become partially unsoldered from the board like i said above.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Deffo not the gpu i've just tried reflowing it and it's still doing the exact same thing i think it may well be time to think about RMA it back to sparkle. i've tried literally everything now and i'm not getting any further with it at all.

Comment

i'v often wondered why there is no software to test video-ram.
                    something like that would be very handy at times like these.

Comment

I can't even get to a state where i can test the video ram i've tried VMT and sisoft sandra and it won't even recognise the card

Comment

How did you reflow it? What method? GPU could still be bad

Comment

Did you plug-in the 6pin PCIe power-plug on the videocard?

Comment

pentium 4 i used hot air desolder station the sam one i use for xbox gpus and cpus. Clutchbox yes there is power to it. I'm thinking it could one of the resistors on the board because surely if the gpu was bad i wouldn't still get a picture through it even in safe mode it's only when as soon as the drivers are installed it doesn't want to play ball.I've also tried it in two other machines to make sure it's not the board or pcie slots that are faulting either but it gets the exact same result.There aren't many caps on the board either and those that are don't appear to damaged or leaking electrolytes.

Comment

some closer up shots
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here's a fresh thought: try it in a different PC with a different motherboard and see what happens.

Reason I mention this is because I had a GeForce 6200 do a similar thing - everything would work fine in safe mode - no random pixels or anything, but on regular boot-up, I'd get a blank screen. I thought my 6200 was bad, but I tested it in another system and it's fine. Put it back in the old board, and same problem again. I tried swapping around 2x in each board, and those results stayed the same. I don't know what is causing that, but the video card just appears dead in one mobo (FYI, the mobo with which it is faulty is an AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 with bad BGA on the SB).

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  i'v often wondered why there is no software to test video-ram.
                                  something like that would be very handy at times like these.
                                  You can to some degree using Pc-Check , the one I have is an old version 6.0 so hopefully the new versions does support video ram tests better.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Do a proper reflow on that chip, and see then if it works. You can use a cheap hot air gun if you mange the temperature properly. I had a Sparkle back in the day ,9800gt , and it was a pice of crap ,unstable until it gave it's last breath. I don't trust in those shady manufacturers ,because they use poor quality components to save as much money as they can.

Comment

Originally posted by smallprint View Post
                                      some closer up shots
                                      i have the same card.gtx 660 windforce oc 2gb.did you find any solution for that problem ? please reply

Comment

mostly it is memory error when crash after driver but ok without it. must check for errors and replace bad chip/s

Comment

Working...
                                        X