Jenn Air Ranges - Addendum to Jenn Air Wall Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jenn Air Ranges - Addendum to Jenn Air Wall Ovens

The Jenn Air Wall Oven dim display has been a popular thread for a long time now. Apparently the wall oven model has the same display as the free standing range. My personal unit is the range, and the display has been fixed long ago.

What continues to interest me is the secondary problem that will eventually pop up, perhaps only in the ranges. I don't know because I have not specifically heard what the wall units might do. The secondary and very annoying symptom is that the broiler fan runs all the time. In a range, this small fan is located near the top of the range in back, and provides cooling air to the display while the broiler is running. At some point the broiler fan starts up and won't shut off until "cancel off" is pressed to reset the unit. Then the whole process will start up again after an undetermined amount of time. Various failure codes will also come up on the display and the unit will start beeping, especially late at night. The fix is definitely on the control board, as I have found by replacing it!

After lots of probing and testing, my theory on the failure is centered on the EEPROM, an 8 pin chip located next to the main micro. After reading the data sheet on the micro you can see that there is adequate internal ROM to store the oven operating program. The EEPROM must then (logically) be used to store parameters for calibrating temperature, customer adjustments, timer information, etc. I don't think that the EEPROM is programmed at birth.

If anyone is working on the "broiler fan runs all the time" problem, please pm me if you would like to do a simple test before purchasing a new control board. The EEPROM itself is very common and costs a few bucks at any electronic supplier. Just out of personal interest, I'd like to know what happens if you replace the 8-pin EEPROM with a new blank one.

EEPROM's have a finite number of write cycles, (approx 100K cycles) so who knows how many times information has to be written to the ic during normal use? Its worth a try and very easy to do.
    Thanks!
    -L
    Is it plugged in?

Re: Jenn Air Ranges - Addendum to Jenn Air Wall Ovens

what eeprom is it?

Comment

The new board has a part that is labeled ATMLU014 46D. I believe this to be an Atmel 93C46D 1024 bit eeprom, 3-wire type. As I remember, the old board had a different 8-pin eeprom but I could be wrong. As far as expected number of write cycles I can't comment as an expert, except that when parts are routinely taken to high temperatures, they definitely have shorter life spans. Included with the new control board is a metal shield that mounts between the board and the oven. A sheet explains that it is to prevent moisture buildup on the pcb. I don't buy the moisture part. It is a heat shield.
      The main micro for this board is an HD404316.
      Is it plugged in?

Comment

I would think the EEPROM is programmed in the factory, and once written there would be no need to re write any data to it once it's in operation.

Comment

Working...
        X