Nvidia 6800 ES broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia 6800 ES broken

I found a citizen who was selling flea and got a few pieces for the price of nothing.
    The first is this. But I have not examined very carefully the pieces, because we were both in a hurry.
    Now, when I looked closely, I found that he was mistreated by the unconscious.

A little run on google and I found a very similar videocard: http://www.yjfy.com/museum/video/Geforce_6800_ES.htm
    What would be the point of that soldering? It has done arbitrarily or even wanted to solve anything?
    It can operate in this state? What is the risk? It can be repaired?
    Thank you
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alindumitru46; 11-26-2016, 04:55 PM.

Re: Nvidia 6800 ES broken

Because I cannot edit the previous post, there are a few key additions.
    The capacitor in the third photo is soldered on the fan pins from back!
    The coil from 3rd photo has only 1 wire soldered on the pin of the Q511 and is the same like next to the fan socket from 1st photo.
    The C1142 capacitor is missing from 3rd photo compared to the 2nd photo.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alindumitru46; 11-27-2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

The cap its on the same tracks of the pcb so i dont think you are going to have troubles with it.
      Now with the coil, i dont know why they put it there, maybe a pic of the pcb on the other side where the coil used to be could help with that.
      Must say that its wierd they moved that, except for some kind of water block that didn't fit because of the coil but i dont think so
      Edit:
      Btw clean those pads on the agp, and eraser should work
      Last edited by Drack; 11-28-2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alindumitru46 View Post
        A little run on google and I found a very similar videocard: http://www.yjfy.com/museum/video/Geforce_6800_ES.htm
        What would be the point of that soldering? It has done arbitrarily or even wanted to solve anything?
        It can operate in this state? What is the risk? It can be repaired?
        It's a mod to add fan speed control (i.e. so that fan speed can be controlled through video card BIOS), instead of running at full 12V all the time.

It's a good mod to keep the fan on the video card more quiet. And there is NO risk to have it there - that is, provided the GPU chip is cooled well. With this being a GeForce 6800 video card, I would not lower the fan speed unless a properly-sized heatsink is used that can still keep the GPU chip under 60°C (under load / in a game) with the lower fan speed.

If this video card works, you got a great score! High-end AGP video cards like the GeForce 6800 are actually going to retain their value quiet well, especially many years from now when AGP cards become even more scarce.
        Last edited by momaka; 12-12-2016, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I have already read all posts, unfortunately I have not found the time available to respond.
          I already ordered a hot air soldering station, some parts, but I have not reached home where they are for almost a month.
          So now I have found time to thank everyone who gave me support on issues that Ihave raised, particularly by @momaka, and to wish you all Happy Holidays and a peaceful New Year with as many beautiful things.

Comment

Thanks alindumitru46, happy holidays to you as well.

Comment

Working...
            X