Acer AL2423W LCD Monitor - Bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL2423W LCD Monitor - Bad caps

Yup, Badcaps.net got hit with bad caps.....the irony!! This is the monitor on my office machine, and man I hate working on my own stuff....but I fired it up this morning, and only about half the image was showing, and the part that was showing was dark and illegible... I have a 22" spare that I plugged in to use in the mean time while I decided what to do with this one.... I was temped to just trash it, it is almost 4 years old.....but upon looking, a good spec 24" 16:10 monitor is still $400+ new, and this one has good specs. I hate 16:9 for anything other than a TV, and 16:10 aspect ratio monitors are getting harder and harder to come by, so I decided to crack it open and see what was amuck inside it...

A few pics of it in pieces:

Anyway, I get it apart and start in the PSU.....low & behold, there's 2 bad Capxon 100uF 25v caps in there. The rest of the caps in the PSU were UCC and Rubycon, all appearing ok.

The power supply caps:

I then remove the video processor board which was right next to the power supply, and there was the paydirt..... 8 bad teapo 330uF 16v caps and one more 100uF 25v capxon.

So now time to replace..... The closest thing I had to 330uF 16v 8mm was 330uF 35v 10mm or 470uF 16v 8mm. I opted to use the 470uF 16v 8mm to replace the 330uF caps, as fitment would be better and 470uF in place of 330uF won't cause any problems. The 100uF 25v caps I have in Samxon, the 470uF caps I used Rubycon.

After the new caps:

The junk.....what a pain in my ass capxon and cheap-o-teapo are...

Back in action and looking crisp and brighter than I ever remember!! YAY!!

I bought this monitor new back in late 2006 and used it on my main system my at the house. A month ago when I built my new home system, this one began acting quirky. I sprung for a 27" 16:10 LCD, and this one was moved out to the office computer, I figured I'd use till it died and then get a new one. I just couldn't trash a 24" monitor though, so I fixed it....and it lives on!!
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Acer AL2423W LCD Monitor - Bad caps

Nice. I think those were well cooked. Shame they cheap out a few pennies and the thing dies before any of the major components go out.

Comment

this is why i often preemptivly fix things i intend to keep.
      last thing i want to do is fix my own stuff.no money in that ;-)

Comment

Great repair job.
        I think there are DC-DC converters on the video processing board, which is probably why the caps on this board went bad.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

just got one of these off cl $10.
          will only run if the room is warm and you leave it on according to the p.o.
          (turns on soldering stuff and opens a few cap drawers)

Comment

Originally posted by Colt45ws
            ... Shame they cheap out a few pennies and the thing dies before any of the major components go out.
            Let's say you save $1 by cutting corners and using cheaper parts. If the manufacturer sells 1000 units, there's $1000 saved and $1000 in extra profit, and they still usually last for a year (the warranty period). It may seem minor for 1 unit, but it adds up if they sell thousands of them.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Hey guys, I've got the same acer as the op with possibly the same problem. Would anyone be willing to give me a rundown on how to properly test the caps and how difficult soldering on a pcb is?
              So far my electronic tinkering skills are rc cars, led's, and what my hs electronics class taught.

-edit
              Oh hey, theres this need fourm here dedicated to this kind of information, who knew? =p
              Last edited by deadlyquasar; 03-30-2010, 02:51 PM. Reason: dumb dumb didn't check the fourm

Comment

Just take it apart and look for bloaters, that's the best way to tell. Apparently, this issue is common for this particular Acer model. Also note the brands. Our FAQ section will give you a rundown on what brands are good and what brands are bad. There's no real easy way to test them in-circuit, and if you remove them to test them, may as well just replace them.

C_Hegge, the warranty was 3 years on this monitor, it lived 6 months past the warranty. I wouldn't have sent it in for warranty service anyway over bad caps. Not worth my time and money to ship it and hope I get it back within the next 6 months, when I can fix it myself with better parts in about an hour.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

My 3 year warranty also just expired. I had these vertical lines and wigged out picture for a while that would get better after a minute. Now the monitor won't even turn on. I'm going to try to replace all the bad capacitors. Is there a kit for this fix?
                  Last edited by faxmonkey; 04-24-2010, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by faxmonkey
                    My 3 year warranty also just expired. I had these vertical lines and wigged out picture for a while that would get better after a minute. Now the monitor won't even turn on. I'm going to try to replace all the bad capacitors. Is there a kit for this fix?
                    Sounds like what mine did. Take yours apart and see what caps it needs. It seems these monitors have different cap brand configs, which result in different types of failures. Take some pics if you can.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                      C_Hegge, the warranty was 3 years on this monitor, it lived 6 months past the warranty. I wouldn't have sent it in for warranty service anyway over bad caps. Not worth my time and money to ship it and hope I get it back within the next 6 months, when I can fix it myself with better parts in about an hour.
                      What I was trying to say was that, to the manufacturer, the $1 they saved on cheaper parts is worth it to them, just as long as it lasts the warranty period, which in this case, it did, since they don't have to fix it for free.

Also, I realise that you, myself and most of the other members of these forums wouldn't bother sending it back, but the average computer illiterate end user would, since they would have no idea what the problem was and how to fix it.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

hi, my al2423w died last month, but it had the problem with starting up and showing weird things until it warms up. This got worse and worse (and takes longer time to warm up) until one day it didnt even turn on....

And i was researching and found out what is wrong, as suggested in this site some capacitors were bulging. So i just replaced them, and reassembled back to the display, but it still didnt' turn on...

Does anyone know what i did wrong?

Comment

Mate, I feel your pain, however, no one can really tell what you did wrong. Just double check, tho, did you know the caps have a + and - and have to go in the pcb with the right polarity? Don't dis me if you already knew that, cuz I did not until I just fixed a bunch of bad caps on my acer 2423 power supply.
                          Cheers, and hope that you find the problem maybe by going backwards from what you did.

Comment

yes, actually i didn't know about the polarity until my friend helped me out cuz i was so bad in the soldering/desoldering and he told me. I followed the capacitor's polarity and they were all matching before. So i don't think that is the problem right there. Any other suggestions?

Comment

checked the fuses and the psu output voltages?
                              and the caps on the controller board..

Comment

The failing of the caps on the invertor board can kill the F.E.T's (field effect transistors) in this monitor. Check these and pico fuse. This happened to me after changing the caps.

Comment

which one is the inverter board? and where is the pico fuse?

Comment

My monitor comes on white for a second or two then a series of colored vertical lines travel across the screen then it shuts off (& amber lite?)
                                    Anyone else have this problem? Bad caps? Nothing obvious to the naked eye...Thx.

Comment

Open it up and check the PSU caps. Post high quality pictures if possible.

Comment

Hi, i just had my AL2423W die on me,
                                        While the acer warrenty was still valid, the inbetween company is bankrupt.

For the first time, i opened up my hardware, identified the popped caps (3 bad teapos, 2 bad capxon). accidentally ripped a cable out of the socket, but that was fixable.

My monitor works now, thank you for the inspiration everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                        X