Supermicro X7DA8 - Stability probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supermicro X7DA8 - Stability probs

Hi First post here but I´m an avid reader of these forums.

I´ve got an Supermicro X7DA8 board with 2x Xeon 5160´s - that´s been running unstable ever since I replaced the PSU (the old one blew) and I´ve been using Everest and Prime95 stability tests to stress the board. I´ve tested two separate PSU´s with the same results.

The symptoms are:

1. Board unstable after some running time - about 10 mins (no overheating issues/abnormal temps) - no errors when stressing directly after cold boot.
    2. Errors only appear in Everest when stressing the cache.
    3. Vcore voltage on CPU2 is lower then CPU1 (cpu1@1.3v - cpu2@1.1)
    4. PSU voltages measure lower on this board then on a brand new ASUS board.
    5. Most of the caps on this board are Sanyo SEPC 16v/330uf - 2.5v/820uf - and show no signs of stress/leakage.
    6. I´ve tested all caps in-circut with an Peak ESR-70 and have found no apparent problems there.
    7. Switching/Removing CPU´s has no effect.
    8. Memory modules test fine in another board.

Does anyone have any pointers regarding this board/problem ?

Re: Supermicro X7DA8 - Stability probs

What was your old PSU and what is the new one?

Comment

Old PSU was a FSP GROUP FX700-GLN (700W)
      New one is a Gigabyte Superb 720W

Comment

It's unlikely that the PSU is the culprit because even if it is a lousy PSU, that system's draw is so much less than 720w, the slack would make up for its inadequacy. Especially if it's new.

But then again - your old PSU did blow, but those FSP GLNs are using OST caps. Hmmm. I suggest taking any PSU you can get (I think you need one with a Xeon connector) and running the test with it to eliminate it as a suspect.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I've mostly ruled out the PSU - since i´ve tried another known working PSU from another Xeon system.

Comment

What kind of PSU does that second system use?
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

The other Xeon system has an Antec 500w - switched it over to the problem board and got the same results.

On another note - i´ve found two caps next to the ram modules that the ESR meter tested bad - in circuit - at least their reading was different from all the other caps in the board. Next step is to test them out of the board.

Comment

I think you may have found the problem!

A cache test may fail if the data loaded into L1 or L2 from RAM was from RAM with corruption issues due to bad caps.

Use polymers on servers for max reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by Parabolic
                  On another note - i´ve found two caps next to the ram modules that the ESR meter tested bad - in circuit - at least their reading was different from all the other caps in the board. Next step is to test them out of the board.
                  Were they lytics or polymers? I'm finding that most all newer SM boards are all polymer. My X8DAI is. I think there's 3 smaller lytics (220uF and lower) on the whole board, and they're associated with the onboard audio. Replace the two in question and see if the symptoms change. my guess would have been a flaky CPU. Had a socket604 xeon act similar on an X5DAL-G.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

I'm purchasing my first Supermicro board for a client's server. It's the X7SBL-LN1, LGA 775 for an E8400. At $170 it is higher priced than my favorite, but now defunct Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R.

I'm hoping for rock solid stability, as this is a server build with 2003/R2.
                    PSU is a Corsair 400W. Four SATA, as two RAID1 pairs.
                    I will post back on status of all polymer caps.

Comment

Working...
                    X