Sony XBR-70850B Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XBR-70850B Lightning

Hey guys, so I have this tv and we got a close-by lightning strike. I turned the tv on and no picture and got 3 blinking lights. Everything indicates a dead logic board. I replaced the main logic board with a new one and have a green amber light blink. Tv doesn't turn on automatically, I power it on and I get a white light on the indicator and then switches to the green and amber. The screen flashes white for a split second.

The green amber light indicates the firmware doesn't match the screen. I downloaded the proper firmware and put it on, now, 6 different thumb drives and plugged it in all three ports. Nothing happens here. Its stuck for hours in the green amber blink. I can not get it to flash. I'm stuck and not sure what else to do.

Any recommendations here? Sony won't help. I've made sure the USB is FAT32. I've tried the file in the root, I tried it in the directory and the file in that directory nothing catches it.

Any ideas would be GREAT! Thanks again

Re: Sony XBR-70850B Lightning

Any of the devices connected to the TV get damaged?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

no devices were ruined best I can tell. All connected was a receiver which I still get sound out of. I can't and don't see sony logo or anything.

I lost some IP cameras, an optisolator in between my house and outbuilding, and a couple EOL resistors on my alarm system.

Comment

Did the numbers on the sticker of both boards match up?

Comment

Yes the board(s) are both A2068024A but the numbers after are different. I don't know if the numbers after that are a serial number for the board or what...

Thanks!

Neil

Comment

Sonys can be finicky:Turn TV on
            Wait one minute
            Insert USB drive
            Wait for LED on USB drive to stop blinking
            Wait 15 minutes
            If on-screen activity does not indicate success, turn TV off, remove USB drive and repeat steps.
            Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-22-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Maybe a variable would be have USB drive in then turn tv on.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                Maybe a variable would be have USB drive in then turn tv on.
                I've tried this a bunch of times both ways. I didn't want to be dense but was I supposed to turn the TV on ever?

Thanks!

Neil

Comment

Yes, turn it on wait a minute, put usb drive in.

Comment

Someone provided me a tech manual. It said if I disconnect the Main board from the tcon it should display test patterns. It never did. I believe the Tcon is dead too?

Comment

OK, curious situation, on my old sony kdl from 2009, I had the test patterns when mainboard was unhooked but it only needed the firmware update and it was good to go so I think you are on the right track.

Comment

Right so since I didn't get the test patterns I have to assume the tcon board is dead too?

I don't know if it won't take a firmware update if the tcon is bad. Im confused man. Frustrated beyond belief!

Comment

The tcon can be tested, some are easier than others as some have clearly marked test points, I think I saw Budm had a chart or link about what voltages to expect, I tested my tcons before but I swear I can't remember how I did a procedure even a week ago.
                          Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-23-2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

t con board is less than $20. I am replacing it. I don't have time (Really patience) to look up testing it. Without the test pattern I have to assume its a goner.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                              Sonys can be finicky:Turn TV on
                              Wait one minute
                              Insert USB drive
                              Wait for LED on USB drive to stop blinking
                              Wait 15 minutes
                              If on-screen activity does not indicate success, turn TV off, remove USB drive and repeat steps.
                              OP... what type of USB drives are you using? As this post suggests, when the usb device is being accessed by the set IF that drive has a LED indicator on it, it should flash... do you see any flashing? do you actually have a drive with the indicator on it?

Comment

Originally posted by heffneil View Post
                                t con board is less than $20. I am replacing it. I don't have time (Really patience) to look up testing it. Without the test pattern I have to assume its a goner.
                                Think I would too if nothing else at least you will have a spare.

Comment

I did have a thumb drive with a light. It was just solid on. never blinking....

Sigh - tcon will be here in a few days. I don't need spare parts. I ordered another main board but then cancelled it. I think if the main board can't talk to the Tcon it can't know which TV it is to update?

Comment

Well without testing you usually wind up with spare parts.

Comment

Originally posted by heffneil View Post
                                      I did have a thumb drive with a light. It was just solid on. never blinking....

Sigh - tcon will be here in a few days. I don't need spare parts. I ordered another main board but then cancelled it. I think if the main board can't talk to the Tcon it can't know which TV it is to update?
                                      Possibly, but from my limited experience (from sharp and old sony), when the system starts up from plug in with a USB previously already inserted, the "boot operation" does a "quick check" to see if it recognize a "load file" on the drive and goes from there.... if nothing recognized, set attempts normal boot up. IF something is recognized, it attempts to load file that it identified. Not sure at this point, the tcon has any impact. Having said that, some sets (thru my readings) do communication with the tcon to determine the size / model of the panel so that can be set properly but to me, that is after a successful boot up of the main.

Hope the replacement tcon solves the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                                        Possibly, but from my limited experience (from sharp and old sony), when the system starts up from plug in with a USB previously already inserted, the "boot operation" does a "quick check" to see if it recognize a "load file" on the drive and goes from there.... if nothing recognized, set attempts normal boot up. IF something is recognized, it attempts to load file that it identified. Not sure at this point, the tcon has any impact. Having said that, some sets (thru my readings) do communication with the tcon to determine the size / model of the panel so that can be set properly but to me, that is after a successful boot up of the main.

Hope the replacement tcon solves the problem.
                                        Me too! We will see. Apparently the tcon is different for each model tv so hopefully, this gets me some image. I can't find the new cable set unfortunately and I don't have the dexterity to test each pin with a meter!

Comment

Working...
                                        X