hole on cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hole on cap

only few months new caps on my amp and today i want to set the bias and amp going in protect mode and start smoke.imediatly shout down open it and found this!!!!!! leak from one capacitor desolder and see two holes on the can.i suspect was there from beginning from transport maybe?the holes is from out to in is like a nail pin not like from screwdriver.realy angry about that.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by spiros.p; 12-19-2022, 06:13 AM.

Re: hole on cap

i have found what causes the holes is excactly the distance from other capacitor legs.during transport from supplier not right packet

Comment

holey smoke
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

i hope don't get any more damage the amp i clean the electrolyte and measure the afected components looks all ok.wait for new creplacement

Comment

thanks. this is a cautionary tale for me not to use dented, holey or pierced caps. i've always wondered if it was okay to continue using them or to recap them at once. this answers my question. i shall stop using those stuff with dented, holey and pierced caps and recap them whenever i get the chance or spare time.

Comment

possible that the manufacturer put dents in the can so they can fit smaller windings of foil/separator in a bigger can so it won't rattle inside, at least I thought I've seen this in the past before?

Comment

Weird. I’ve seen all kinds of dented caps, but not something like this. Almost looks like someone put a drill punch on the cap and drilled a perfect hole in there.

Comment

crushed against another 10mm cap - someone probably stepped on the package!

Comment

yes i measure the legs from the cap and fits excactly on the two holes.wrong package and during transport hit each other. if i remember correctly the packet was to big and include some other smal components i have ordered semicontuctors and so on.is a wonder hold so long the cap.don't use a lot the amp since last winter maybe 50-60 hours til now.

Comment

Oh now I see the hole on the side in the dent... that's abnormal.
                    it wasn't underneath the heatshrink?

This looks too suspicious to be something other than foul play...

Comment

nippon SMH 6800mf 100v.to heavy and quality cap.let 4 of them free in a plastik bag and close in big paper box to travel 400km road and line ferry boat.accident warranty.

Comment

today replaced the capacitor the amp works again ��

Comment

Working...
                        X