Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ps5 2 second power on with fan spin, no shorts

Hey everyone I'm totally lost!

the consoles power was pulled while gaming by customers wife.
    I have a ps5 that's got blue light fan spin then powers off. About 2 seconds.
    I have 12v, 3.3v, 1.8v 5v. From the power supply input prongs, that line of caps, I have 12v on the positive side.

I read no shorts anywhere on the board at all. I've injected voltage in 2spots following 2 videos from the cod3r and one other, I saw no current draw at all. i not very experienced with voltage injection so i only did what i saw online that was safe. ive attached pics of where i injected voltage.

im very inexperienced with voltage injection, im assuming you dont inject into the side thats connected to grround right?

ive compared readings with a known working board and theres no difference.

ive tested with another psu and still same issue

I was thinking maybe it's the encoder or the spi ROM ic or southbridge? Wanted to get some advice before going ahead and changing the encoder. unless its a waste of time.

Any ideas? I've searched as much as I could and not been able to find this issue with no shorts on the board.

if anyone can help at all id seriously appreciate it
    Cheers
    Attached Files

Re: ps5 2 second power on with fan spin, no shorts

Dam. I posted this on another group and got no responses there either. Guess this is a no fix then lol

Comment

Hi, I've got an extremely similar situation. I have a PS5 with a 2 second blue light then power off problem. I've tested for all voltages and they're all present. 12v, 5v, etc. I haven't been able to find any shorts except for maybe one which I'd like some help to verify if anyone has a board to compare readings with. I'm waiting to get a thermal camera which should show up early this upcoming week, but until then (and probably often enough afterwards) I'd really appreciate some help.

@Thedan55 Have you checked all of your fuses? Also, check this area if it ends up being something on mine.

The smaller plane to the side of the chip with the cap attached is shorted to ground. The cap isn't the problem as it still exists once the cap is removed. I'm assuming the chip is the problem but I cannot identify it. Can anyone verify that this plane is not supposed to be connected to ground? If this is a short, can anyone identify the chip so I can hopefully source a replacement without a donor board?
      Attached Files

Comment

Quick update, the chip in the photo is not the source of the short if it is indeed a short. The resistance I read from that pad to ground is only ~2.2 ohms. I realize there is an inductor just above it which might be telling. The resistance between the pad and that inductor is ~5.1 ohms, slightly higher than the inductor to ground at ~ 4.0 ohms. Can anyone verify readings for me if they have a board available to check with? I cannot wait for that thermal camera to arrive (Hopefully Monday).

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdTA01 View Post
          Quick update, the chip in the photo is not the source of the short if it is indeed a short. The resistance I read from that pad to ground is only ~2.2 ohms. I realize there is an inductor just above it which might be telling. The resistance between the pad and that inductor is ~5.1 ohms, slightly higher than the inductor to ground at ~ 4.0 ohms. Can anyone verify readings for me if they have a board available to check with? I cannot wait for that thermal camera to arrive (Hopefully Monday).
          I have a one-on-one problem, I checked all the voltages, checked everything. I found the only mismatch, at the point indicated by the arrow on the working console 0.8 Volts.
          Attached Files

Comment

I may have found the issue with the help of a thermal camera. Still not positive but according to the reported output of this PMIC I'm only getting a bit less than half the voltage output from this chip that it's supposed to output.
            RT5127

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdTA01 View Post
              I may have found the issue with the help of a thermal camera. Still not positive but according to the reported output of this PMIC I'm only getting a bit less than half the voltage output from this chip that it's supposed to output.
              RT5127
              There are 2 of them, which one, I can help with measurements on my board, what are you interested in asking?

Comment

Hi,

Move the 1st ic and check if the reading still the same or not, and the same with the 2nd ic

Comment

hey all so so so sorry for not updating. i gave up and sent the console back to customer. i actually will contact them agagin to see if they want to bring it back so i can check that ic

Comment

Working...
                  X