Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best way to replace a electrolyt on ATX mother board

Hi guys ,

I have this working ATX MB.It is some sort of old one.
    But I want to keep it in use - it still works.

But when cleaning it inside , I noticed a bulging electrolyte.
    With a little leakage on the top.

I am not really sure if it is a multi layer MB.

I`m going to replace the cap - but what is the best way to do it ?
    I`m thinking to cut the cap into half - and then leave the 2 wires soldered
    on the MB.

And then soldering the new cap to those 2 wires.

So , no de - soldering of the cap ( as to not damage any possible connections with layers , in between the pcb ).

What do you guys think ?

Re: What is the best way to replace a electrolyt on ATX mother board

Well, if you're asking for the best way let's make a comparison to a car because this is the internet:
    I want to replace the engine, do you think I should cut it in half with a blowtorch and then mount the new engine ontop of the old motor mounts because I don't want to damage the motor mounts?
    LOL
    No, do it properly please.
    All mainboards are multiple layers, the minimum is 4 layers.

Here is one guide to do it right:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Be aware of some crapy design routing signal wire near caps leg. It is easy to scrath coating when desoldering, and if you do not give extra attention, solder can easily bridge the gap - on picture, signal wire is 0.1mm and the gap is even smaller.
      Attached Files

Comment

Use chipquik rem4.5,its "magic" to remove.Then clean chipquik with solder wick braid.

https://www.amazon.com/Chip-Quik-REM.../dp/B08VNBS733

Comment

@ Per Hanson ,

Have you been working on your car , lately ?Thanks for the link.

To you other guys - thank you for the advice

Comment

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I personally prefer to do it the following way: turn the mobo bottom up, heat the area around the cap with hotair, but only to some temperature below melting point, apply some flux to the cap pins, take solder iron with enough tin on it, and apply the hot tin to both pins of the cap simultanously. The cap falls down, and then you can clean the holes with solder wick, etc. no additional cost for chemistry needed, better for the environment and cheaper, provided you have a got air gun already. The hotair temp. should be ca 350-400 C, and 3-5 cm away. Instead of solder wick, you can also drill the whole with 0,8mm drill, but first take so much tin as possibale away from the wholes with the solder iron. But drilling is a little bit risky, as you can destroy the via connection.

Recently I also tested another method to clean the holes from tin. Just melt the tin in the holes with hotair gun, then apply compressed air directly onto the holes during tin is melted (hot air must be even ca 450 C). Works perfectly, especially if you have a lot of holes to clean, eg, a cleaning DRAM socket whole array after taking it out. Only thing you cannot do it when there are other elements nearby, so it can be done generally only from the bottom side of the pcb. Pay attention with older pcb's they are not so resistant to high temperatures as modern ones.
              Last edited by DynaxSC; 03-15-2023, 07:00 AM.

Comment

To all you who replied ,

Well I have found a way to easily remove the caps.I watched this you tube video from Adamant IT , where he is recapping a MB.
                First I used my Atoyou soledring station , but it did not work so well.

Then I used my KSGER with active solder points.It really works very well.Temp of 480 C is doing a really good job.
                The lead free solder is melting really quick.Of course I use flux also and Stannol solder 60/40.
                When the caps are out , I put some solder on the holes and some flux - then use the de-solder pump.It works really well.

The T12 tip is very small and it fits in the hole.

Just a powerful small soldering station - I love it

Comment

Working...
                X