Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROG Maximus VII Ranger Power cycling boot loop

Greetings folks.

I have one of these Asus Z97 boards that is stuck in a power cycle, with a seemingly irrelevant 00 code - I say irrelevant because the chipset clearly is powering down before its actually able to really figure anything out.

Board is bare, only 24 & 8 pin and cpu in place (both are known good components, 750w psu and I have a number of Haswell cpu's I know are working).

LED's light up when the 24 pin is connected.

When you power it on, it powers down within 1 second and repeats the cycle.
    The same occurs with the CPU removed.

Observations:
    Caps all appear in good order.
    I've been trying but failing to assess any issues in the mosfets - this board has NexFET Power Blocks - the impedance readings from the pins are consistent across all of the chips for the relevant pins.
    link: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...bd749c9daf.pdf

I have what looks like 1.5-1.65V appearing on the output side of the CPU chokes.
    I have what seems to be 1.5V on the output side of the RAM chokes.
    Both are momentary measurements due to the fast power cycle.

I recall having consistent and high impedance to ground on the CPU chokes. I may not be measuring that correctly though, just one probe on the choke and the other on a USB ground.

If I ask it to reflash its bios - it appears to do that with no issues.

If I remove the EATX 8 pin - the board ceases to power cycle and simply stays on - which leads me to believe there is a dead component somewhere in the VRM - but at this point I just don't know and can't really seem to successfully isolate things - I do know the VRM isn't necessarily the only thing powered by the 8 pin.

Would love it if someone is hiding a schematic somewhere - or if someone has any advice as to the process of how to test these mosfets - or can point me toward other components to potentially isolate as faulty with my little DMM.

Keen to hear thoughts, happy to answer queries.
    Regards

Re: ROG Maximus VII Ranger Power cycling boot loop

Quick update. Went poking around near the chipset while bored.

Came across this cap, that looks potentially cracked - and gives off weird readings on my dmm. DMM is not behaving like this anywhere else that's for sure.

Like it easily gets a reading with the probes one way - but it is a negative reading and low, not only impossible but not how this dmm should behave either. When I flip the probes around - I get an open circuit on a 2Mohm scale.

Couple pics up on imgur if it helps.
    https://imgur.com/gzIqI43
    https://imgur.com/FNrruTY

Thoughts?

Comment

Hi, look for the boardview here, maybe you have luck

https://schematic-x.blogspot.com/201...198-files.html

In advance, thanks to the maker of that site.

Comment

Originally posted by foshland View Post
        Hi, look for the boardview here, maybe you have luck

https://schematic-x.blogspot.com/201...198-files.html

In advance, thanks to the maker of that site.
        And my word - Thank you.

I searched for no small hours with zero success and I owe you my gratitude alongside the site.

Merry Christmas!!

Comment

keep that site in your bookmarks, it has a lot of schematics or boardviews. All the thanks are for the creator of that site, he worked hard to get that done for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Gorskorr View Post
            Greetings folks.

I have one of these Asus Z97 boards that is stuck in a power cycle, with a seemingly irrelevant 00 code - I say irrelevant because the chipset clearly is powering down before its actually able to really figure anything out.
            Did you find a solution? I have the same problem.
            Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-21-2022, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by el14lo View Post
              Did you find a solution? I have the same problem.
              Having the same problem here. When ONLY 24-pin power cable is connected, mobo code is 00 and it stays on. When I add 8-pin power cable, infinite loop occurs. Mobo is out of case, everything cleaned in detail, do you guys have ANY idea to try out?

Thanks a million!

Comment

likely not all voltage appear. the power up sequence is incomplete. Usually novice solution is try to flash bios to try luck
                if u have multimeter. use it check cpu voltage appear .

Comment

For anyone that is still interested in the topic:
                  I had the same issue with an ASUS Z97-Deluxe, with both power connectors <1s bootloop with error 00. With only 24 Pin connected it stayed on with Error 00. I then found by chance another way of turing it on by pressing on the phase controller for 1.5v Ram rail from the front and back (with bare hands, must be some sort of capacitive effect). I then compared what rails that came up with what boot method (a third is only connect the 8pin connector and bridge the PS-ON on the PSU). The only rail that never worked was P_+1.05ME_PHASE_S . I then checked PU1 (RT8065ZQW), EN and VIN was present, replaced that chip and presto!

So I hope that helps someoneā€¦

TL;DR: For the ASUS Z97 Deluxe this issue could be resolved with replacing PU1 (RT8065ZQW).

Comment

The same situation, and the ME power controller also failed - RT8065ZQW.

Comment

Working...
                    X