X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus X99-pro/usb 3.1 Usb overcurrent device reoccurring issue

Hi this is a really odd case.
    I have removed all of the esd ic for USB 3.0 and 2.0
    I measured all of the data lines and 5v usb voltage lines there are no shorts
    all of the USB ports have no damage
    Clearing the bios using the jumper wont help.

it is still showing USB overcurrent device

the only temporary fix I've tried and worked so far is flashing the bios
    and the error is gone
    but when you start the motherboard with a USB device still attached
    the USB over current device error is back. the bios needs to be externally flashed again
    if you only plug a ps/2 device it is fine.

if you restart it without a USB device the USB over current device error wont show.

All of the voltages of USB ports while the motherboard is running is normal 4.950v - 5.080v

it only triggers when starting up the motherboard when a USB device is plugged. and will stay stuck on that state unless the bios gets reflashed

the only odd thing i found while checking the resistances of the USB ports are the USB 3.0 port USB3_E2_5 has a different value of resistance (6.88k ohms) on
    its first pin (5v) although this might be happening since it is connected to O3U3 ( POWER SW. NCT3520W-H15 MSOP-8)

other than that all of the USB port 2.0 measured are in 5.4k ohms above for data lines and 1kilo ohms and rising for the rest of the USB port voltage pins

USB port 3.0 primary data lines measured 11.8k ohms to 12.5k ohms
    except for the one mentioned above

I have no idea where to check now since there are no shorts and i don't know if there is a problem with the pch but i am hoping that is not.

Additional notes: if the motherboard is in windows or booted to an os already. it will work normally with a USB device (kb mouse and etc) it will have a pop-up in windows of USB device over current but all USB devices plugged to it works.
    Will try with a different bios chip but I doubt it will fix the problem (it did not fix the problem)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Yolofolkss; 01-09-2023, 05:45 AM.

Re: Asus X99-pro/usb 3.1 Usb overcurrent device reoccurring issue

since I can't edit it anymore..
    I've already tried reseating the processor, it was one of the first things I did, ldo PU1500 (LDO REG. UP0109PSW8 PSOP-8) for pch does run hot but I don't think its the issue since I've been running this board for a year knowing that.. but I might replace it just to make sure..
    if someone really has an idea for this USB overcurrent issue, any idea on what might be the issue behind this or anything that i can try I'm down to try it and i'd really appreciate it.

Comment

Try to measure two side of SRNs, this is U_USBOC
      maybe issue come from front USB port. replace 822 and 472 resitor
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply and suggestion

I'll try it out later

Comment

First, narrow it down to which USB port is throwing the OC status, then measure the 4k7 and 8k2 resistors that are connected to its OC pins. If the resistors are ok, then the only solution is to hack the BIOS to ignore the OC status, continue to POST and usable.

EDIT: Those resistors are connected together. You should see 5V at one side of the 4k7, GND on at side of the 8k2, and 3V at the junction where they meet.
          Last edited by прямо; 01-12-2023, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bbanana View Post
            The resistors do show abnormal values, I will replace them right now. wish me luck xD

Comment

Originally posted by прямо View Post
              First, narrow it down to which USB port is throwing the OC status, then measure the 4k7 and 8k2 resistors that are connected to its OC pins. If the resistors are ok, then the only solution is to hack the BIOS to ignore the OC status, continue to POST and usable.

EDIT: Those resistors are connected together. You should see 5V at one side of the 4k7, GND on at side of the 8k2, and 3V at the junction where they meet.
              All USB ports don't have any short all ports are working, but those resistors near pch do show abnormal values

Comment

They do not come from the USB port but the resistors are the fault, they show 220 ohms instead of 8.2k ohms and 30 ohms instead of 4.7k ohms

Thanks, I never thought they would degrade that fast.
                Welp thanks again problem solved

Nvm it still shows, its still the same the only difference now when booted to windows no error shows up

Is there really a way to remove this from the bios? Thats the only solution that might work at this point...
                Last edited by Yolofolkss; 01-13-2023, 09:30 AM. Reason: Motherboard is still showing the same error

Comment

Originally posted by Yolofolkss View Post
                  They do not come from the USB port but the resistors are the fault, they show 220 ohms instead of 8.2k ohms and 30 ohms instead of 4.7k ohms

Thanks, I never thought they would degrade that fast.
                  Welp thanks again problem solved

Nvm it still shows, its still the same the only difference now when booted to windows no error shows up

Is there really a way to remove this from the bios? Thats the only solution that might work at this point...
                  this is not bios fault, so not need to find how to edit bios file.
                  you just trace issue line and replace/ remove some ( sometimes, measuring is good but still fault).

try to remove 8.2k resistor, which has one pin connect to GND ( Sometime this resistor made USB port not recogize)

This case never PCH fault!

hope youre lucky.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bbanana; 01-14-2023, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Check/use another your usb device, older boards may not have enough power output to drve newer usb device.

Comment

Originally posted by DynaxSC View Post
                      Check/use another your usb device, older boards may not have enough power output to drve newer usb device.
                      I've tried it with multiple usb devices that I've verified working. Their current draw does not exceed 500ma

I've tried 3 keyboards (2 old no rgb, 1 new with rgb) 3 different types of mouse (1 ps2, 1 usb no rgb, 1 usb with rgb) all of them trigger the usb over current error even with new bios flash

Its the motherboard that has the issue. That cant still be fixed.. I'll try any suggestion, hopefully one of them will work

Comment

you just trace issue line and replace/ remove some ( sometimes, measuring is good but still fault).

try to remove 8.2k resistor, which has one pin connect to GND ( Sometime this resistor made USB port not recogize)

hope youre lucky.
                        Yeah i really hope this will work im really hoping its not an internal trace that cant be fixed
                        I'll try this later
                        Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

hope youre lucky.
                          Sorry it took so long for another update
                          I removed all of those resistors to no dice it is still the same.
                          I also completely removed all of the resistors connecting USB 2.0 data pins to the pch (URN101 to URN104) but still ended up with the same issue.
                          I am really running out of hope for this motherboard
                          Last edited by Yolofolkss; 03-09-2023, 10:58 AM. Reason: Specify (URN101 to URN104)

Comment

Seems like this is a common issue for asus motherboards on the asus rog forum (that just leads to an rma), still I'd want to know any other options, tips or just anything to get this working for the time being.

Comment

u dont get this error because of short/overcurrent, but because of missing/damaged ESD circuit components. this components/circuit MUST be there.
                              Last edited by ktmmotocross; 03-13-2023, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                                u dont get this error because of short/overcurrent, but because of missing/damaged ESD circuit components. this components/circuit MUST be there.
                                I see, thank you for the response, i will replace all esd protection chips that i removed (i removed all of them and replace the resistors that i removed as well)
                                Will be back for a new update soon

Although, it should have cleared the error if the esd chips are gone?
                                Why did it remain the same?
                                Last edited by Yolofolkss; 03-15-2023, 11:12 AM. Reason: Additional questions

Comment

Working...
                                X