Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox 360 parallel caps

Hi everyone,
    I'm probably going to ask a very noob question but after many readings and videos I'm still unsure on the answer.

I've broken one of the caps around the gpu of an xbox 360 by overheating it. In the forum I've found this thread where the user had exactly my situation (same console version and same broken caps): https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24983

The difference is that I've broken only one of the Rubycon caps (or at least that's what I can tell from a visual inspection). Now I'm planning to use a solid capacitor as replacement, as successfully done by the user in the thread.
    My question is: can I replace only one capacitor or is it better to replace all the caps in parallel with it?
    My concern is that the new capacitor will have a lower esr than the original ones and I'm not sure if mixing them could be a problem or not.

The original caps are: Rubycon mfz 820uF 6.3V (14x in parallel)
    Will replace with: 820uF 6.3V solid capacitor (I'd expect any solid capacitor with such specs would do as the esr should be low enough as per nature of solid caps)

Thanks in advance

Re: Xbox 360 parallel caps

It's better to change the damaged capacitor alone , since Rubycon quality is unmatched , at least on long terms .

Comment

Hi Jiroy, thanks for the advice, I'll surely follow it

To be honest I could also change the capacitor with another Rubycon but I saw that the mfz series it's discontinued and I couldn't find it anywhere. Is there any equivalent you would recommend?

Also, do you think it's a good idea to switch to a solid cap or is it better to stick with something more similar to what's installed?

Comment

mfz was a compact version of mcz, both are discontinued.
        i dont think anybody makes electrolytics with esr that low anymore - no point now we have polymers

Comment

Well , if you have Rubycon , then lucky you , otherwise , I totally agree with stj on polymers ..
          ...And good luck .

Comment

All clear, thank you very much for the messages. I'll change the cap with a polymers one and see how it goes.

Comment

It will be fine.
              I've seen some Xbox 360 board use Rubycon MFZ and polymers interchangeably. The polymers they used were 820 uF 2.5V. And yes, you can mix and match polyerms and electrolytics. In fact, I do that all the time on regular older ATX motherboards to get higher capacitance (good for OC-ing) and lower overall ESR + the reliability of polymers. The old/early non-HDMI Xbox 360 boards were done the same way for the GPU - typically they'd have about 4 or 6 big electro caps (IIRC) and 2x polymer caps in parallel for lower ESR and better airflow.

Comment

Working...
              X