Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to ship electrolytic caps by air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to ship electrolytic caps by air?

I've read that caps can leak due to extremely low atmospheric pressure. How about in a plane's unpressurized cargo bay?

and I gotta wonder if the Chinese govt trusts Chinese caps for their spy balloons…

Re: Is it safe to ship electrolytic caps by air?

Not a big deal, the low pressure effectively similar to heating them as both would result in higher internal pressure over ambient. China has satellites and space equipment too, and these have even tougher conditions than at 60k feet.

Comment

dont buy into the balloon bullshit - it's a distraction from OHIO

green lasers over hawai = https://icesat-2.gsfc.nasa.gov/

the one in alaska = an amature meteorological balloon from near NY
      you can search and the owners are complaining about their $12 balloon being distroyed

Comment

Originally posted by slerner View Post
        I've read that caps can leak due to extremely low atmospheric pressure. How about in a plane's unpressurized cargo bay?
        It's fine.

The caps will be OK. I've shipped caps with me in my checked-in bags many times. Also shipped computers and computer equipment with capacitors, some of which has been in use for over 10 years now. No leakage - not even from old cheapo Taiwanese capacitor brands.

If this was an issue, we'd see a lot of laptop chargers get damaged, especially for frequent flyers... which I can tell you has never been the case. So it's OK.

Comment

Very good point.

Comment

Working...
          X