Xbox 360 Elite Ethernet not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox 360 Elite Ethernet not working

I've got a Xbox 360 Elite with a Jasper V1 or V2 PCB as far as I know. 150W PSU and rated for 12.1A and the Xbox has the MFD 2009-10-14

Issue is that there was a lightning outside and now the ethernet does not work. Power cord was unplugged. Only ethernet cable was plugged in. The router and some other stuff died.

No error codes. Xbox seems to work as I should. When i plug the ethernet cable in nothing happens. Dashboard only tells me to plug in a ethernet cable. Or i don't remember.. if Ethernwr maybe was greyed out since it didn't recognize a connection.

No LEDs on my Switch when plugged in.

My suspicion is the ICS-chip that has failed. But I'm not sure. Just a guess.
    Before i replace this chip are there any methods to use to verify it's the chip that's failed or if there are any other components on the board?
    The RJ45 connector looks great, no bent pins or nothing.

Ive read on different forums and sites that the ICS are known to fail when theres lightning and stuff.

Found some schematics for the Jasper V1 and V2 and a boardview file if that helps.

Found here:
    Or here: https://xbox360hub.com/guides/
    Attached Files

Re: Xbox 360 Elite Ethernet not working

it's usually the network controller from lightning.
    but start at the begining - the connector.
    check the ceramic caps for shorts.
    then check the transformer for open windings.
    unless the 360 uses a magjack with all that inside it.

Comment

Yes, the controller is the ICS-chip.
      Look at the schematics were you also can see other components.
      The RJ45 connector have no visual defects. Everything looks normal there.

What capacitors to look for?
      Where are the transformer located?

Comment

good luck
        that scematic - it's not a schematic
        just a bunch of chip pinouts really - fucking joke micro$oft is!
        this is why i dont touch 360's or newer - total bs to deal with.
        page45
        it's a magjack but they dont show the internal transformer windings - because they are cunts.
        the caps are C1M1 & C1A2 to check
        check the termination resistors on page39
        does the ics chip get hot?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          good luck
          page45
          it's a magjack but they dont show the internal transformer windings - because they are cunts.
          Yeah... those transformer windings in Ethernet jacks not being shown in the schematic is very common. On my particular device I got around by looking the spec sheet up for the controller chip and hopefully they have some useful information in there to figure out what magnetics there are inside by looking at the sample circuit.

Comment

The board are out on my bench no accessories attached. Just the board.
            Are the powerplug required to be plugged in for any of the tests to do?

Many years since i did this kind of stuff. Memory isnt the best.

Is it all of the resistors that i can find on page39 or just a couple of specific?
            You mentioned the termination resistors

If the chip gets hot or not i dont know. Have not thought of that.
            Is it possible to diagnose the chip somehow? measure specific pins and etc?
            Is it capable of getting power? Shorted? Any output?

Please provide as much information and instructions as possible so i know what to try and do.

Does it help if you open the Jasper/Kronos Allegro boardview file? That provides some information about the components and where those are connected.
            Last edited by orfeous; 02-23-2023, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              Yeah... those transformer windings in Ethernet jacks not being shown in the schematic is very common. On my particular device I got around by looking the spec sheet up for the controller chip and hopefully they have some useful information in there to figure out what magnetics there are inside by looking at the sample circuit.
              When you say the controller chip, do you mean the ICS chip or something else?
              Ive found this about the transformer in the ICS1893BF datasheet.

"Twisted-Pair Interface

For the twisted-pair interface, the ICS1893BF uses 1:1 ratio transformers for both transmit and receive. Better operation results from using a split ground plane through the transformer. In this case:
              •The RJ-45 transformer windings must be on the chassis ground plane along with the Bob Smith termination.
              •The ICS1893BF system ground plane must include the ICS1893BF-side transformer windings along with the 61.9Ω resistors and the 120-nH inductor.
              •The transformer provides the isolation with one set of windings on one ground plane and another set of windings on the second ground plane."

The datasheet can be found on several manufactuers sites.. dont know if that matters wich one to choose?
              Heres one: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...be66dbfcd3.pdf
              Another: https://zh.datasheetbank.com/datashe...ST/ICS1893BFLF
              Last edited by orfeous; 02-23-2023, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Did the checking for the C1M1 and C1A2 if they are shorted.
                Multimeter beeps on both sides for the C1M1 when using one probe of the ground on the PCB and other probe on one side.

C1A2 did only beep on one side and not the other.

Datasheet for ICS1893BFLF revision F: https://www.renesas.com/us/en/docume...bfbk-datasheet
                Last edited by orfeous; 02-23-2023, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by orfeous View Post
                  Did the checking for the C1M1 and C1A2 if they are shorted.
                  Multimeter beeps on both sides for the C1M1 when using one probe of the ground on the PCB and other probe on one side.

C1A2 did only beep on one side and not the other.

Datasheet for ICS1893BFLF revision F: https://www.renesas.com/us/en/docume...bfbk-datasheet
                  Remove C1M1 and then check to see of you get the short on the pads. If not, then the cap is bad

Comment

Hm.. ok..

That capacitor is really small but might be doable with my soldergun.
                    Is that capacitor required to be there if i want to test the system for operation?
                    If the ICS also are dead or if the fault "only" was the bad/shorted capacitor?

But can the ICS make that capacitor short to ground since its in the circuit also with the RJ45 connector?
                    Last edited by orfeous; 02-25-2023, 06:32 PM.

Comment

The C1M1 measures 8.3-8.5 Ohm and thats maybe why it beeps in continuity mode?
                      Maybe not shorted?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        good luck
                        page45
                        any suggestions how to proceed with all the information i have tried to provide?
                        and with my follow up questions for you with your information and questions you asked me?

Comment

Originally posted by orfeous View Post
                          When you say the controller chip, do you mean the ICS chip or something else?
                          Ive found this about the transformer in the ICS1893BF datasheet.

"Twisted-Pair Interface

For the twisted-pair interface, the ICS1893BF uses 1:1 ratio transformers for both transmit and receive. Better operation results from using a split ground plane through the transformer. In this case:
                          •The RJ-45 transformer windings must be on the chassis ground plane along with the Bob Smith termination.
                          •The ICS1893BF system ground plane must include the ICS1893BF-side transformer windings along with the 61.9Ω resistors and the 120-nH inductor.
                          •The transformer provides the isolation with one set of windings on one ground plane and another set of windings on the second ground plane."

The datasheet can be found on several manufactuers sites.. dont know if that matters wich one to choose?
                          Heres one: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...be66dbfcd3.pdf
                          Another: https://zh.datasheetbank.com/datashe...ST/ICS1893BFLF
                          Page 26 or page 28 on the other one tell you exactly what RJ45 with magnetics you need and what to expect testing. Match something up and off you go. Could be that the ic itself or in between the IC and the RJ45 is a fault too.

It's not easy to match the RJ45 with magnetics, as there are tons with different configuration. In one case I wasted a whole afternoon matching and found 2 matches to what I needed. Ordered one each and luckily the first one I grabbed worked A1. Lesson here is, RJ45 jacks aren't the same. You'll be surprised once you start looking in the spec sheet of the RJ45.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                            Page 26 or page 28 on the other one tell you exactly what RJ45 with magnetics you need and what to expect testing. Match something up and off you go. Could be that the ic itself or in between the IC and the RJ45 is a fault too.

It’s not easy to match the RJ45 with magnetics, as there are tons with different configuration. In one case I wasted a whole afternoon matching and found 2 matches to what I needed. Ordered one each and luckily the first one I grabbed worked A1. Lesson here is, RJ45 jacks aren’t the same. You’ll be surprised once you start looking in the spec sheet of the RJ45.
                            So accoring to the diagram on page 26 or 28 there should be 50 Ohm between pin 12 and 13... and also between 15 and 16?

Can you please be more specific where to measure?

Pin 19 to ground have the correct resistor value, pin 20 to ground have the correct value, pin 18 to pin 20 has not the same value.
                            Last edited by orfeous; 02-27-2023, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X