Vintage fan repair, copper wire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage fan repair, copper wire question

I currently have a customer's vintage fan on the work bench to repair.
    It uses an induction motor with 4 poles. One of the poles is open.
    I couldn't find the break so i cut off the original wire.
    I have measured the other poles and the resistance is about 28 ohms per pole and I measured the diameter of the wire with my digital calipers and it is 0.35mm in diameter.

I need to work out how much 0.35mm diameter enamelled copper wire i need to order for it to be 28 ohms. I have used this calculator and it says i need 160.35 metres.

The enamelled copper wire for sale on eBay is listed in weight, SWG and AWG.

What would the weight be for 160M of 0.35mm copper wire.

Are these calculations accurate? It seems a lot.
    If it's broken, fix it. If it's not broken, improve it.

Re: Vintage fan repair, copper wire question

weigh the original wire

Comment

0.35mm I would guess is actually #28AWG 0.321mm OD because the thickness of the varnish adds a little bit.
      #28AWG, I calculate it is 212.904 Ω/km so 28Ω is 131.5m or 431.5 ft.
      You can estimate length for one turn to ballpark the length, measure inductance as well to confirm what you have.
      Inside the winding laminations it will prob. need new insulating tape, make sure the fan chassis is electrically isolated from mains. It might have have arc'd there.
      A motor rewind shop might be able to fix it more easily. They have the wire and winding machines and tape etc.

Comment

I forgot to include the link to the calculator website that i used, here it is: https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/wire-resistance
        If it's broken, fix it. If it's not broken, improve it.

Comment

Working...
        X