This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

but, i see a bridge rectifier in place of 4 diodes. not bad. heatsinks ok, looks fixable. but who in the hell would buy something with that name? sorry, but that name sounds a bit.... uh... girly...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Sold in the US as kingwin.

Actually pretty good now, just the soldering needs work.

Comment

Tagan TG580-U15

1000uF 200V Panasonic UQ primaries.
        2SC3320 x2 primary power transistors.
        30A 40V Schottky rectifier (2 in parallel) for +5V rail.
        20A 40V Schottky rectifier with assisting STP80NE03L-06 MOSFET (input is +5V) for +3.3V rail.
        16A 150V fast rectifier (2 in parallel) for +12V rail.
        470uF 16V Jenpo WR on -12V and -5V rails.
        Jenpo WH 2200uF 16V before +12V inductor with Jenpo WH 3300uF 16V (bulging) and 470uF 16V between inductor and current sense resistors with Jenpo WH 470uF 16V after each sense resistor.
        Jenpo WH 4700uF 10V before and after (bulging) +5V inductor.
        Jenpo WH 2200uF 10V before and after +3.3V inductor.
        Jenpo WR 1000uF 10V before (bulging near heatsink and rectifiers) and after +5VSB inductor.
        120mm San Ace (Sanyo Denki) fan.
        Heavy soldering seen too.
        Attached Files
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

ENlight GPS-400AB B 350W (Delta OEM)

both Caps on primary side are SAMXON 560uF/200V.
          used STPS2045CT for 3.3V, 2xSTPS2045CT for 5V and SPTS20S100 for 12V.

I don't know Caps brand on secondary side.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by POM_MJ; 10-11-2009, 07:09 AM.
          | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
          | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
          | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Today a friend gave me a psu, asking me if I can examine it and find out why it stopped powering on his pentium 3 800mhz system.

I uploaded some photos...
            Attached Files

Comment

pan star? geez, i think its time for a new rule:

____ (blue, echo, pan, ect.) star= POS that is too light for a paperweight.

look at all the jumper wire!

few/small/bad caps

no x/y caps

no choke

wimpy heatsinks

4 diodes

tiny primary caps

thin wire

weak silicon

i bet the metal is so thin that it would make a lousy doorstop.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yea, secondary side is almost worse
                2 transistor 5vsb circuit
                2 diodes for +12v
                No Pi Filters
                Only one coil
                Only 3x Tiny Tiny capacitors

goodpsusearch; This PSU is too much work to fix so it becomes reliable
                These two lengthy threads are about fixing PSU's such as yours incase you are interested... (A few pages in...)
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7193
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7530

Or just buy this awsome PSU for 9 bucks and be all set
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8154

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-SUPPLY-420...item53dd87ad58
                Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-01-2009, 02:29 AM.
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I will tell him to throw it away and keep the fan and some parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                    pan star? geez, i think its time for a new rule:

____ (blue, echo, pan, ect.) star= POS that is too light for a paperweight.

look at all the jumper wire!

few/small/bad caps

no x/y caps

no choke

wimpy heatsinks

4 diodes

tiny primary caps

thin wire

weak silicon

i bet the metal is so thin that it would make a lousy doorstop.
                    like the old spammutate site?
                    star=shit?

Comment

Today I got 2 psus for free from university. One of them is Maxpower PL-400 400watt and unfortunately is not working.

When I opened it I could see why... Bulging HEC 820uF 200V primary caps, bulging Fuhjyyu 16V and 10V secondary caps...

other cap brands in this psu are jee and capxon. Couldn't write down a full capacitor list, sorry.

So, what do you think?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, it actually has APFC. The big coil by the main caps is the APFC coil, the board behind it with a IC on it is the APFC controller, and the schottky on the primary heatsink is the PFC diode. Looks quite good actually, just replace those caps as well as a more detailed shot of the components on the secondary heatsink would be nice.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking of returning it, because the bulging primary cap replacement along with the bulging secondary ones and all other crap brand caps will cost me much more than the psu value...

Today, I recieved some of the caps I ordered for the antec psu (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8223) and the macron power (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8171) and I am waiting for more... RS site only sells in sets of 5 or more caps, so the final cost is expected to be more than 50 euros.

I wil post photos of one more maxpower that I got today, this one is 300watt and working (but no pfc).

Comment

That power supply is worth the caps. If the manufacturer went as far as to put APFC on it, it has to be 1/2 way decent.

Comment

Delta DPS-400MB-1A

+3.3V@15A
                              +5.0V@20A
                              +12Vp@12A
                              +12Va@14A
                              +12Vd@6A
                              Max. POWER 400W
                              +12V TOTAL POWER 340W MAX.

No label on this unit except IBM P/N 39Y7330
                              I've googled found on China site => http://bbs.ncdiy.com/dispbbs.asp?boa...&star=1&page=1

Primary cap is Nichicon, most of others are Rubycon, just one Chemicon 3300/16V on 12V output filter.

Attached Files
                              | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
                              | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
                              | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Got an old CWT unit, rated for 300w, never used, however this is a VERY old unit, having been built with a -5 rail. It's also filled to the brim with Fuhjyuu capacitors, except for one lone CapXon on the secondary. It does have decently sized heatsinks, and decent fannage as well (some Sunon unit), so it pisses me off to see this kind of penny pinching. My question is, is it worth the effort to recap it?

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-03-2019, 10:40 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded & links fixed

Comment

I would recap it and keep it. It seems well built.

Comment

Look in that Blue label CWT (Channel Well Technology).

The builders of the original Antec supplies bad caps but decent supplies.
                                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

If you have a use for it, then recap it. If not, put it in the archive and recap it if you find a need. Check the voltages so you know -now- if there's a problem.

>>... never used ...<<

Umm..., I think the inside of the cover tells a different story...

Toast
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

>I think the inside of the cover tells a different story...

or just dirty fingers?

Comment

It did sit for a while gathering dust, but may have been lightly used. Obviously not for long, as those Fuhjyuu caps haven't puked their guts out. :P

Comment

Working...
                                          X