Hp 15-cs2023ca USB 2.0 not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hp 15-cs2023ca USB 2.0 not working

Hi, I am working on a Hp 15-cs2023ca Laptop, Logic Board # DAG7BMB58C0 REV: C. The motherboard works fine but the USB 2.0 does not work at all & gives Error "unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)" in Windows 10. I checked the 5v & GND, both fine. Checked the coil of TX & RX, resistence between both the point is around 400Khms & no shorts at all. Does this signal come directly from the SOC??? If someone can put in their expertises on this issue, I would appreciate. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mferna14; 09-20-2022, 02:23 PM.

Re: Hp 15-cs2023ca USB 2.0 not working

do you mean USB3 ports? according to the spec, this unit has 1 USBC and 2 USBA ports. Is absolutely any of these working fine?
    Last edited by cruiser_; 09-20-2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. This has Only 2 USB ports & built-in USB 3.0 in it. I am only concerned about the Generic USB 2.0 which should work & now not working for some reason. More info pls. ask me. Thanks

Comment

Do you have a Chipmunk USB tester? If not, get one. Can save you buckets of time with USB port issues.

Comment

Remove all power. Meter in diode mode.

Red meter probe to ground.

Black meter probe to the D+ on the usb connector. What is the measurement?

Repeat with D- on the usb connector (black lead on meter). What is the measurement?

You may have local esd diodes that are damaged. Other faults may be an onboard usb hub controller that links to these ports. Check for the IC nearby.

Check the diode values against a known good USB port on any laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by mferna14 View Post
            Thanks for the reply. This has Only 2 USB ports & built-in USB 3.0 in it. I am only concerned about the Generic USB 2.0 which should work & now not working for some reason. More info pls. ask me. Thanks
            I'm going by this (external ports).

According to available G7BD schematics (not sure how close it resembles DAG7BMB58C0) the only elements between the ports and the PCH would be the ESDs or USB multiplexer. If you say your USB3 works fine then the multiplexer is out of the way iMHO.

See if USB power stays at steady 5V when you plug devices in.
            Go for data lines with oscilloscope and see if they are sound/stable.

Comment

I have seen these errors also on Dell laptops, after a reinstall of Windows 10, they didn't come back

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                Remove all power. Meter in diode mode.

Red meter probe to ground.

Black meter probe to the D+ on the usb connector. What is the measurement?

Repeat with D- on the usb connector (black lead on meter). What is the measurement?

You may have local esd diodes that are damaged. Other faults may be an onboard usb hub controller that links to these ports. Check for the IC nearby.

Check the diode values against a known good USB port on any laptop.
                I mentioned the meter reading for the Data lines, both are almost 400Khms, & the 5v is always present, the voltage is not fluctuating at all, stable as ever. I checked, but there does not seem to be any protection diode. After the coil, the circuit is directly going to the SOC, I am assuming this as I do not have the schematics for this model. I have a used another SSD with fresh Windows 10 on it & still gives "unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)"

Comment

On newer mb's, there is no esd diode/controller . All bypassed by manufacturer to cut costs and hence any surge/malfunction in usb port directly affets the PCH part of SOC. Sad but true.

Comment

Actually that is a good thought to follow.

To rule out software issue try booting off a Linux usb and see if they work there.
                    I've seen win boxes having usb description read issue while trying to read usb2 devices in usb3 port.
                    Last edited by cruiser_; 09-21-2022, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Also confirm the integrity of the 24mhz crystal onboard. This clock is linked to the usb controller engine.

Comment

Originally posted by mferna14 View Post
                        I mentioned the meter reading for the Data lines, both are almost 400Khms, & the 5v is always present, the voltage is not fluctuating at all, stable as ever. I checked, but there does not seem to be any protection diode. After the coil, the circuit is directly going to the SOC, I am assuming this as I do not have the schematics for this model. I have a used another SSD with fresh Windows 10 on it & still gives "unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)"
                        Is the card reader working. Post a picture of the USB board both sides
                        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                          Is the card reader working. Post a picture of the USB board both sides
                          As well as webcam working or not??

Comment

Thanks, I will check both & report later..

Comment

You guys are so right "SMDFlea" & "mcplslg123", USBs, Webcam & SD Card reader solt even is not working. I have attached the photos of tHe USB board, kindly look into it. Hopefully we can resolve this problem. Thanks
                              Attached Files

Comment

USB+Webcam+Card Reader-not working is a sure indication of shorted SOC(USB part of PCH). So only SOC replacement will solve it. Else , dont waste your time.

Comment

Thanks mcplslg123 for the answer, I will do one last deep testing & then will order new motherboard.

Comment

3rd time...crystal ok ?

Comment

Hey "mon2" read it now., I was so involved with the others.. Mon2 where is this crystal???/ Do you have a location for it? & how will I be able to test crystal??? Kindly inform me please. Thanks

Comment

Crystal can be tested with DSO. Should be located near to SOC.

Comment

Working...
                                        X