Alienware M18x Shorted CPU Mosfet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alienware M18x Shorted CPU Mosfet

I've got an old Alienware M18x R1 which shorted out the charger whenever it was connected. Tracked down the short to two shorted caps and burned CPU power controller caused by a shorted mosfet on the CPU's graphic power supply.

I've replaced the faulty mosfet, two shorted caps and the CPU Power controller (NCP6151S52MNR2G).

Issue is now whilst there is no short if I attempt to power the system on the fans spin for a couple seconds there are no lights and no further action - the PCH is heating up but there is no CPU power coming out but there is an enable signal going to the NCP6151 but it seems to be not telling the mosfets to open and send power to the CPU. All resistors look to be fine around the NCP6151.

Now given the shorted mosfet plus the damage it caused is it likely that the CPU is also dead and would that cause the issue as described?

Re: Alienware M18x Shorted CPU Mosfet

The CPU may be damaged. You can check the resistance to ground of the CPU power rail. Remove all power. Meter in lowest resistance scale.

Check the resistance to ground of the CPU rail and post the reading.

Comment

Probably CPU took 19V... But post the reading.
      I don't provide help for people using CH341A and a clip.

Comment

I'm getting a reading of 9ohms to ground on the CPU rail which had the shorted mosfet. Dead CPU?

Comment

A photo of the replaced Mosfet and the two caps, and NCP6151 would help.

Comment

Working...
          X