Corrosion on GA-M61P-S3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrosion on GA-M61P-S3

This mobo I got c. 2007 worked hard for a couple of years in a dusty, salty environment, and then became more and more difficult to boot.
    Once I learnt about the great cap swindle, I thought it might be the caps.. but none are showing obvious signs of failure.
    Could the corrosion visible near the USB_1394 label and the general dusty, salty appearance of the mobo bring on bad-cap-like symptoms of failure?
    Attached Files

Re: Corrosion on GA-M61P-S3

i lived near the south coast and can tell you that it will do that, it also has a habit of blowing inverter base aircons. we will need to see pic of the whole board bottom and top so we can recognise any possibly bad caps.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by norv View Post
      Could the corrosion visible near the USB_1394 label and the general dusty, salty appearance of the mobo bring on bad-cap-like symptoms of failure?
      Not sure, but if the motherboard is very dirty, give it a wash with warm water and any non-clorine-based detergent of your choice (liquid soap or liquid laundry detergents are generally fine). Then let the motherboard dry for a few days and try it again.
      Before you wash it, though, make sure to remove the CMOS battery.

Comment

I was dabbing the corroded area with a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl alcohol, and one of the tiny SMD components just came right off the board and attached itself to the cotton bud. The contacts were very corroded, so perhaps this board is too far gone.
        Thanks for the tips momaka and goontron, I'll get some pix of the whole board later.

Comment

If it's just a ceramic cap, the board may be okay. I guess pictures will confirm. If the rest of the components aren't too bad, you should wash it - the sooner the better.

Comment

Let me guess...You live near an ocean? I wonder if throwing a couple of small desiccant packs in the tower would help prevent this?

Comment

Mobo photos with dodgy phone.. and yes, I live near a windy ocean, with a dusty yard
              Attached Files

Comment

bloody hell! was this in your carport?
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Wow! I've seen corroded computer stuff, but nothing like this.
                  Yeah that kind of corrosion can definitely make contacts on slots (CPU, RAM, etc.) not connect properly to whatever they are connected to. Could also be rust that has fallen from the ports and partially shorting signal traces. Give it a wash and scrub and see what happens.

Comment

mouse pee?

Comment

Yes, the PC was in the carport, on the floor, working hard, with ocean less than a mile away to the north, east, and south, and mad dogs running round the dusty windy yard all day long.
                      I was recovering from a serious accident, that's why i was working/living in the carport. And I like to keep the doors and windows open, and I hate air-con.
                      Hence, corroded, dirty mobo.

Comment

Here is the PSU from said computer. Oddly enough, it is reluctant to start. Methinks time to discharge caps and give it a bit of a clean.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is the PSU from said computer. Oddly enough, it is reluctant to start. Methinks time to discharge caps and give it a bit of a clean.
                          Looks like the stuff that can literally cause things to go bang!
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Yes, the PC was in the carport, on the floor, working hard, with ocean less than a mile away to the north, east, and south, and mad dogs running round the dusty windy yard all day long.
                            I was recovering from a serious accident, that's why i was working/living in the carport. And I like to keep the doors and windows open, and I hate air-con.
                            Hence, corroded, dirty mobo.
                            As you now probably know. Probably not the best idea to have a PC running and operation outside. You would get all that lint build up. Living near the ocean just seems to make it worse I guess.

Comment

Working...
                            X