PXE server that isn't DHCP server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PXE server that isn't DHCP server

Trying to configure Microsoft RPK. Using Windows Server 2008R2.
    The computers use PXE to connect to it and install.
    But the PXE server is not the DHCP server. We have a NETGEAR UTM25 for that.
    We have a switch connected to the Netgear with all of our crap on it.
    But when a computer tries to boot from network it should go to the Windows server.
    IP of Netgear is 192.168.1.1 and it gives out 192.168.1.2-100.
    IP of Server is 192.168.1.200.
    Thanks!

Re: PXE server that isn't DHCP server

use FOG.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
      use FOG.
      This?
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/

Won't work because we need to create each Win7 computer with a Restore Partition and the official Microsoft RPK is the only way to do this.
      Thanks though I really wish Microsoft would actually support their proprietary confusing shit.
      Last edited by shovenose; 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        Trying to configure Microsoft RPK. Using Windows Server 2008R2.
        The computers use PXE to connect to it and install.
        But the PXE server is not the DHCP server. We have a NETGEAR UTM25 for that.
        We have a switch connected to the Netgear with all of our crap on it.
        But when a computer tries to boot from network it should go to the Windows server.
        IP of Netgear is 192.168.1.1 and it gives out 192.168.1.2-100.
        IP of Server is 192.168.1.200.
        Thanks!

If it's outputting "192.168.1.2-100" and I'm hoping this is just a typo then it sounds like a misconfiguration on your pxe/tftp server or typo in netgear switch/router/gateway, you should use option 66,67 on a Microsoft dhcp server OR use whatever is provided on netgear, I know in pfsense it's just put in the ip and the filename under network boot server.

Frankly you're not going to get any network booting Windows images/deployment working on anything else but windows servers, unless you use FOG or hack your way and jerry-rig it with linux, which is what I did. But I wanted the ability to just run Windows Setup for fresh installs and Wipe&Reloads along with pxe booting all my diagnostic tools and linux distros.

There's not much to tftp booting it's either configuration, files or network.

Also goon and I were talking about this
        http://www.fogproject.org/
        Last edited by Mad_Professor; 03-07-2014, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Which RPK kit have you got ? https://store.pcrr.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=37
          It's not something i think covered in MCSE as MDT,WDS or SCCM are whats used in industry. We used WDS at my last place.

Comment

Working...
          X