This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

yea! thats a US$1399 gpu right there! had to look up wikipedia's video card list and the prices on amazon for that!! what the hell, topcat!! im so jealous!

EDIT: it should be US$1599 now. the 12gb version of that is $1399. the 24gb version is $1599!
    Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 03-01-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

More scores:

- Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100 - smashed LCD, perfectly working LCD + USB daughterboard - $4

- Samsung Galaxy S3 4G GT-I9305 - glass is pretty cracked, but LCD + touch assembly works just fine - $4

- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800F - totally dead - $6

- LG G4 - dead mobo, good LCD - $3

-dead Toshiba L300D w/ AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 - $2
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

check the L300 for tokin caps under the cpu socket.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          ...And it works?
          If so I think we can close this thread now because you win!
          I tested it today, it's good.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            check the L300 for tokin caps under the cpu socket.
            Didn't have any. It was the UMA GPU (Radeon HD3100) that was bad. I threw it away though, but not before saving anything I could reuse. (CPU and WiFi antennas)
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
              yea! thats a US$1399 gpu right there! had to look up wikipedia's video card list and the prices on amazon for that!! what the hell, topcat!! im so jealous!

EDIT: it should be US$1599 now. the 12gb version of that is $1399. the 24gb version is $1599!
              The MSRP price was $5000 when it was released in 2016:
              https://www.anandtech.com/show/10179...b-quadro-m6000
              Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              I tested it today, it's good.
              Wow!
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

there are a lot of headless TESLA cards going very cheap these days,
                they are intended for CUDA computing - i wonder if the missing monitor outputs can be installed??

Comment

More free scores!

- Pentium 3 450MHz Katmai
                  - Leadtek PX9500GT 1024MB
                  - Gigabyte N95TOC-512H - Geforce 9500GT 512MB
                  - a fresh sandwich

L.E: tested the Leadtek. Dead mosfet near core (somewhat typical for the Geforce 9 series cards). The Gigabyte card works fine, just needed a good cleaning, a bit of MX4 and some bike oil on the fan (works wonders!!)
                  Last edited by Dan81; 03-03-2020, 02:21 PM.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

the PIII 450 sounds nice, funny how the PII 450 is always worth more because people want the fastest pentium II
                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Was given a goodie box this morning, I'm told it was surplus from the university.....mostly smaller DDR3 DIMM's, a couple I5 CPU's....but there was a jewel in the box, a Quadro M6000 24gb GPU.
                      Wow! That's insane! I had a pair of quadro 6000's in my CAD station and DOWNGRADED them to FX5800's -- save a few watts and move the 6000's to my video studio (e.g., do live "greenscreen" production)

It would be interesting to know what it was used for.

And, how YOU will use it!

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                        Wow! That's insane! I had a pair of quadro 6000's in my CAD station and DOWNGRADED them to FX5800's -- save a few watts and move the 6000's to my video studio (e.g., do live "greenscreen" production)

And, how YOU will use it!
                        Coming from the university, I'm sure it was something in the CAD department....its a university devoted to engineering & technology. Right now, its just sitting in a staticshield bag in the parts room. I may stick it into my 'future' office machine, which is a westmere rig I built new around 2011, and mothballed around 2015.....but replacing my office machine would be a horrendous task.....and not something I'd look forward to doing....so it'll sit for a while. If someone made me the right offer, I'd part with it....but I wouldn't be overly anxious to sell it, so it's take a very 'right' offer!
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

I present my IBM 2133 that I found a while ago, a week ago I started to improve it, I originally had a 486SX, but I changed it to a 482DX2, then I added 8MB of ram, then I put a 345MB Maxtor HDD (as a curiosity, it has a Pontiac GTO serigraph on the PCB).
                          It has a 486dx2 at 66 mhz, a sound blaster 16, a network card by isa.
                          The AOC CRT screen, was given to me by a person yesterday who had it published on a buy and sell website, and it looks great on MS-DOS! I am very happy with the monitor.
                          I uploaded these videos in operation:
                          https://youtu.be/mEFTgU2XVok
                          The sound of the hard drive simply, I love it! Then showing the operation of the SB16 midi synthesizer both Windows 95 and MSDOS, at the same time the operation of the mouse.
                          https://youtu.be/C6Sipm1wEwE
                          Here showing a game of DOS in action. (I played this game as a child, I have very good memories at school playing this game.
                          https://youtu.be/45HsLbsxy8Q
                          And the sound to turn it off, sorry, I don't know why, but I would like to join in a single file, but I don't know why the mobile separated the files.
                          Attached Files
                          Gaming pc:
                          nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                          Workshop PC:
                          Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                          Server:

Comment

Coming from the university, I'm sure it was something in the CAD department....its a university devoted to engineering & technology. Right now, its just sitting in a staticshield bag in the parts room. I may stick it into my 'future' office machine, which is a westmere rig I built new around 2011, and mothballed around 2015.....but replacing my office machine would be a horrendous task.....and not something I'd look forward to doing....so it'll sit for a while. If someone made me the right offer, I'd part with it....but I wouldn't be overly anxious to sell it, so it's take a very 'right' offer!
                            Yeah, I think, nowadays, folks want "instant results" and have lost the skill of knowing how to "work smarter". I.e., wanting to continuously render models (photorealistically, no doubt!) instead of working from wireframes and rendering when you think you're close to "done".

I can recall waiting 24-36 hours in the mid80's to render some of my 3D models. If I had to wait to see everything raytraced and rendered with "suitable lighting", I'd never have been able to do the work that I was doing, at the time!

Likewise, I see folks who now write code and immediately compile it -- to see if there are any (syntax) errors in what they wrote... instead of KNOWING how to write it correctly to begin with!

Machines can do more than one thing at a time. But, it seems that most HUMANS can't! <frown>

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              ...And it works?
                              If so I think we can close this thread now because you win!
                              Agreed.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                              Really?!

That's crazy! If you look up the specs, it's more or less the same thing as a GTX Titan X optimized for CAD/rendering, and just slightly faster than a GTX 980 Ti.

I guess gone are the days of taking a cheap Radeon or GeForce card, and flashing its BIOS to the respective FireGL / Quadro card, getting a "workstation" video card for cheap.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                              - a fresh sandwich
                              Nice!

I'd just stick it in a powerful i5/i7/i9 or Ryzen rig and use it for gaming.
                              Should still play all AAA titles from 2019 comfortably at medium-high settings. Maybe even 2020 titles, depending on what comes out. Cyberpunk 2077 will definitely be a heavy one on resources.

I had a pair of quadro 6000's in my CAD station and DOWNGRADED them to FX5800's -- save a few watts...
                              Don't know if that actually is saving you any power.
                              Sure the Quadro M6000 is rated for 250W TDP (vs. 190W for the FX 5800). But that's under full load. In idle, the older manufacturing process of FX 5800 may actually make it waste more power. But maybe not, if it's downclocked and undervolted very aggressively.

Probably a good experiment to run with a Kill-A-Watt meter and see the outcomes.

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                              I present my IBM 2133 that I found a while ago, a week ago I started to improve it, I originally had a 486SX, but I changed it to a 482DX2, then I added 8MB of ram, then I put a 345MB Maxtor HDD (as a curiosity, it has a Pontiac GTO serigraph on the PCB).
                              It has a 486dx2 at 66 mhz, a sound blaster 16, a network card by isa.
                              The AOC CRT screen, was given to me by a person yesterday who had it published on a buy and sell website, and it looks great on MS-DOS! I am very happy with the monitor.
                              That's a really awesome piece of vintage gear there!
                              And holy crap, you were actually able to get it to show you something online. That is amazing!

Comment

I found something nice at Goodwill today (technically yesterday). For $2.99 US, I got the SkyScan 88800 atomic clock. When I got it home and put batteries in it, I was surprised the radio chip still worked -- it received the signal from the US Government nuclear clock in Colorado and set itself. I didn't really NEED another atomic clock, but after paying ~$50 for my other two (brand new), this one was a bargain, although it is probably an older model.

The lower right of the LCD display shows the reading from an external thermometer that was not included. I already have an external thermometer that works just fine with my other two atomic clocks, but that thermometer might be incompatible with this clock. This is not a big problem.

I know this is something that anyone here (Ratdude is an example) could probably pick up easily, but I don't get many good deals like this. There is a little dust/dirt on the LCD display, but I can clean that with soapy water and a microfiber cleaning cloth (like you would use for your camera lens or automotive glass).

Don't forget to change the batteries in all your smoke detectors once a year. I do this in the springtime, and I change the batteries in the atomic (and other) clocks too -- the LCD displays become very faint when batteries are weak.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Hondaman; 03-06-2020, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Fixed the 9500GT 1GB that had a blown FET. Works fine, although someone did try a reflow beforehand. Replaced the old STONE 470uF 16v cap with a poly cap from a old MSI 775 board just to be on the safe side, and replaced the passive heatsink (missing fan) with a Gigabyte HSF.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post

L.E: tested the Leadtek. Dead mosfet near core (somewhat typical for the Geforce 9 series cards).
                                    Really? I would expect a dead MOSFET for power-hungry video cards! WTF! I would for maybe the 9800GTs, but definitely not the 9500GTs!

I heard that Radeon R9 290/Xs and Radeon R9 280/Xs for example, are more likely to have a failed MOSFET.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                      Really? I would expect a dead MOSFET for power-hungry video cards! WTF! I would for maybe the 9800GTs, but definitely not the 9500GTs!

I heard that Radeon R9 290/Xs and Radeon R9 280/Xs for example, are more likely to have a failed MOSFET.
                                      Yeah, popping mosfet seems usual for 9800GTs but otherwise, I was suprised that 9500GTs do that too. Maybe there's something that makes them fail? At least my Inno3D 9800GT would pop FETs if the HSF wasn't adequate.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        Agreed.

Really?!

That's crazy! If you look up the specs, it's more or less the same thing as a GTX Titan X optimized for CAD/rendering, and just slightly faster than a GTX 980 Ti.

I guess gone are the days of taking a cheap Radeon or GeForce card, and flashing its BIOS to the respective FireGL / Quadro card, getting a "workstation" video card for cheap.

Nice!

I'd just stick it in a powerful i5/i7/i9 or Ryzen rig and use it for gaming.
                                        Should still play all AAA titles from 2019 comfortably at medium-high settings. Maybe even 2020 titles, depending on what comes out. Cyberpunk 2077 will definitely be a heavy one on resources.

Don't know if that actually is saving you any power.
                                        Sure the Quadro M6000 is rated for 250W TDP (vs. 190W for the FX 5800). But that's under full load. In idle, the older manufacturing process of FX 5800 may actually make it waste more power. But maybe not, if it's downclocked and undervolted very aggressively.

Probably a good experiment to run with a Kill-A-Watt meter and see the outcomes.

That's a really awesome piece of vintage gear there!
                                        And holy crap, you were actually able to get it to show you something online. That is amazing!
                                        Totally agree, this vintage computer is wonderful, and besides being IBM, it is very well built with quality parts, the source has nippon chemicon capacitors, and the motherboard with nichicon.
                                        Yes, it is incredible to be able to load images with the 486 xD, best of all I do it with the original Windows 95 browser lol.
                                        To enter the internet I used a realtek 8039AS ISA 10Mb network card with coaxial connection.
                                        What surprises me most about this computer, is that it has counted the year 2020 without problems, the date is still marking well, I have 2 motherboards of 486 generic, and none is able to pass from 1999 (for that reason I do not use them for retrogaming , they give a lot of problems), IBM has done a great job with its machines.
                                        Last edited by kevin!; 03-06-2020, 01:41 PM.
                                        Gaming pc:
                                        nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                                        Workshop PC:
                                        Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                                        Server:

Comment

Good week for GPU's, picked up a new-in-box & shrinkwrapped voodoo 3500 for $100....seller had no clue that it was worth atleast twice that.

The $25 from a couple weeks ago went into a system and was sold....looked for a replacement and BAM!
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X