Bad Laptop PCH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Laptop PCH?

Tried other BIOS and EC as obtained upon request. No luck, still same issue.

Comment

Hold on, you said pin 7 is pulsing, and pin 7 is hold signal? That is not normal at all, is the PCH resetting continuously? Maybe a good time for a scope on the rest of its signal lines?

Comment

Originally posted by emestee View Post
        Hold on, you said pin 7 is pulsing, and pin 7 is hold signal? That is not normal at all, is the PCH resetting continuously?
        Yes, it is. Pulsating only in OFF state, its a steady 3.3V once laptop is turned ON. As for the PCH resetting, I am not so sure since all the signals coming out of the PCH (as per repair guide) are stable.

Maybe a good time for a scope on the rest of its signal lines?
        Which signals? The once where you would expect to see activity (LFRAME, etc) shows none. Any suggestion as to which I should test/scope?

Comment

Frankly I am out of my depth here. This is definitely not supposed to happen, and if the PCH is doing that, it's either because something causes it to reset repeatedly, or an internal damage to the chip. It is possible that some passive element around it is broken and causes a power reset or something like this. But I dont know how to debug this other than oscilloscoping the hell out of it looking for clues.

Comment

Update:
            Am definitely sure issue is now PCH related. The replacement PCH ended up being faulty. I am still waiting on receiving another replacement but in the meantime I got a donor board with an almost similar chipset.

More info here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88548

I tried it out of curiosity (and also hoping it would work) but no dice. I do however now have healthy BIOS signal at start up.

Comment

Originally posted by Spider1211 View Post
              Its a stable 25MHz when the laptop is turned on, please see "clock" in the first post.

Same for X2001 which is a stable 32.768KHz both in ON and Off state.

+V1_05S_PCH_VCC
              0V in off state
              stable 1.06V in ON state
              Sir out topic what if you dont have a 24mhz reading what will happen to the laptop , noob question sir

Comment

Working...
              X