Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what LEDs an LG 55LM5400 uses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone know what LEDs an LG 55LN5400 uses?

Originally posted by Daveleone View Post
    Unfortunately, I've already taken things apart again. Do I need to test the voltage with the TV on?
    forget it if you taken them out from the tv. led tester reading are always different from power boards fixed currents.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
      forget it if you taken them out from the tv. led tester reading are always different from power boards fixed currents.
      Ok, I haven't taken them out of the TV yet, but I did take the panel apart again. I'll try powering it on later and taking the readings directly.

Comment

Ok, I haven't taken them out of the TV yet, but I did take the panel apart again. I'll try powering it on later and taking the readings directly.
        then u can turn on with out lcd and read them direct on powerboards socket

Comment

then u can turn on with out lcd and read them direct on powerboards socket
          3 full A-B strips (36 old LEDs): 78.9v = 2.1917v per LED (~2.2v per LED)
          4 full A-B strips (42 old LEDs + 6 new LEDs): 110.0v
          So, 6 new LEDs = 110v - (42*2.1917v) = 17.95v = ~3v per LED
          Last edited by Daveleone; 02-02-2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

3 full A-B strips (36 old LEDs): 78.9v = 2.1917v per LED (~2.2v per LED)
            4 full A-B strips (42 old LEDs + 6 new LEDs): 110.0v
            So, 6 new LEDs = 110v - (42*2.1917v) = 17.95v = ~3v per LED
            are you sure from the wiring.. it make no sense to me if the power boards had 2 channel LED per yours wiring 36 LED + 48LED, at least it should 42 LED each.

can you show clear photo on yours powerboards at the LED Sockets from both side please.
            Attached Files

Comment

can you show clear photo on yours powerboards at the LED Sockets from both side please.
              The wiring goes from end to end of the LED strips up the chain (in series) with a terminator at the end of each of the 2 the chains. 1 chain is 4 A-B strips, the other chain is 3 A-B strips.

The blue/white pair of wires powers the 3 strip chain, while the blue/black pair of wires powers the 4 strip chain.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Daveleone; 02-03-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Re: Does anyone know what LEDs an LG 55LM5400 uses?

You LCD panel does not use the same amount of LED for each LED string, if you look at the Voltage chart and the Voltage rating of the filter caps for the two boost converter circuits you will see the two LED drive Voltages for the Low LED string and High LED string, thus different LED drive Voltages.
                Pictures provided by shopjimmy.
                LG EAY62810701 (3PAGC10124A-R) Power Supply / LED Board
                https://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-eay6281...ply-led-board/
                Attached Files
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Just to close this thread out, I got the replacement original LED strip and everything works great. No hot spots. Case closed.

Comment

Just to close this thread out, I got the replacement original LED strip and everything works great. No hot spots. Case closed.
                    Thanks for the follow-up.
                    So where did you get the correct replacement strips from so in the future people will know where to get them?
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                      Thanks for the follow-up.
                      So where did you get the correct replacement strips from so in the future people will know where to get them?
                      I ended up buying the exact replacement strip for mine, by part number (LZ5501LGEPWA-DL84-R-REV.0) off of eBay, instead of using the "updated" POLA2.0 parts. Found a guy selling the A-side strips for $21.99 or best offer w/free shipping. I offered him $10 for one and he accepted.

Comment

Let me ask a stupid question but why can you not use the original diffuser that were on the led strips and see how that would work on the replacement led strips

I realize that this might be some work but would be justifiable to do that
                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-11-2021, 06:03 PM.
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply
                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                          Let me ask a stupid question but why can you not use the original diffuser that were on the led strips and see how that would work on the replacement led strips

I realize that this might be some work but would be justifiable to do that
                          Actually, I did try that with one strip (see post #17 and #18). It didn't work because the LEDs themselves that are used in POLA2.0 are brighter (Diah explained this in post #16) and still created a hot spot even with the wider diffusion pattern. The 55LN5400 just doesn't have adequate diffusion layers to diffuse the brighter LEDs used in POLA2.0.
                          Last edited by Daveleone; 02-11-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Actually, I did try that with one strip (see post #17 and #18). It didn't work because the LEDs themselves that are used in POLA2.0 are brighter (Diah explained this in post #16) and still created a hot spot even with the wider diffusion pattern. The 55LN5400 just doesn't have adequate diffusion layers to diffuse the brighter LEDs used in POLA2.0.
                            I must have missed this part sorry about that
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply
                            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

My set is a 55LN5710 and after replacing the LEDs with the POLA2.0 strips it looks exactly like the pics in post #10 of this thread. The problem is the light from the POLA2.0 strips is more concentrated than the OEM strips. This set has 3 diffuser sheets, and I think adding another translucent silver/grey sheet would fix this problem. Anybody know of a source for these diffuser sheets?

Comment

OMG, Now I know I was very lucky on my set of replacement strips for my INSIGNIA 50 TV NS 50DR710NA17. I looked closely at Shop Jimmy's replacement package and used those serials to find mine on Aliexpress. This is when I realized that Shop Jimmy has half of the strip numbers WRONG in the title of their out of stock package. I ordered from Aliexpress before I even broke down my unit to actually see the strips that mine actually used . Wow you had a complete nightmare and I would have chucked the whole thing. Kudos for your tenacity.

Comment

I've ordered several LB style strips with big lenses from aliexpress and all of them had problem with light uniformity. Sometimes you can find more expensive "originals" but I haven't tried those.
                                  I did get once a really good result with real originals from broken screen TV.
                                  BTW, LED brightness has nothing to do with light uniformity, but it's still a good idea to lower it to prolong life of LEDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee M. View Post
                                    My set is a 55LN5710 and after replacing the LEDs with the POLA2.0 strips it looks exactly like the pics in post #10 of this thread. The problem is the light from the POLA2.0 strips is more concentrated than the OEM strips. This set has 3 diffuser sheets, and I think adding another translucent silver/grey sheet would fix this problem. Anybody know of a source for these diffuser sheets?
                                    If it's really annoying, you can try a layer of matte shower curtain or plastic mattress box cover from Dollar Tree.

Comment

Originally posted by captainKKK View Post
                                      OMG, Now I know I was very lucky on my set of replacement strips for my INSIGNIA
                                      Yeah, not to mention, both the seller and Alibaba disagreed with me that those LED strips were unusable on my TV and refused to provide a refund. So that was $35 down the drain. At least I got the TV fixed in the end.

Comment

Glad to hear ur set is still working with the OEM LED's. My set had 2 bad LED's on different strips. I called a couple of shops to see if they might have a cracked screen set and would sell me a couple of strips. They said don't waste ur time just replacing one or two strips as the rest will fail and the repair won't last, the OEM LED's are crap and the replacement LED's aren't much better. They said the only way the repair might last for a while is to get the kit and replace all the strips, do a firmware update which turns down the BL, and run the BL at 80% or less. So I did all that and the set is "working" but if u pull white screen u can see a bright spot for each LED just like in the pics in post #10. When watching normal programming I guess it's not too bad. I probably notice it more since I'm looking for it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X