Mother Board Recapping Question Yes No Maybe feedback wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mother Board Recapping Question Yes No Maybe feedback wanted

I have this computer that I inquired them from my employer when they did a computer upgrade

They have been sitting in my shed for a couple of years now

I just bought me a battery tester that I want to use this computer to do the data logging with

I recapped the power supply and all of the capacitor that were less than 100uf were at least 2X higher or more in ESR value than it should be

My question is should I recap the mother board

My success rate results doing this is 50 / 50

The question is should I do this or not

I can load the windows operating system disk and goes to the screen where if you had a hard drive in it would load the data

But I do not have a hard drive for it right now but I will be buying one next week

I do have a question about a hard drive for this computer could I use a solid state drive in it had windows xp on it

It only uses SATA drives it does not have any IDE connectors for this type of drives

I will be giving this mother board a very good cleaning
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-16-2020, 02:30 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Mother Board Recapping Question Yes No Maybe feedback wanted

clean the poor thing!

then see if any caps are domed - if not then just try it.
    i see it already uses a lot of polymers.

Comment

Re: Mother Board Recapping Question Yes No Maybe feedback wanted

Remove the motherboard from the case and disconnect all peripherals/cables from motherboard. Use a high power blower and a brush to clean the motherboard. You can reseat the heat sink on the CPU if required by applying a new heatspread paste.

Dont see a need to recap based on the current image, recap only if you are facing issues.

As per the specs of the PC (here), it supports SSD upto 160GB. It also uses the Intel Q67 Express Chipset.

If the motherboard is very old then you may have to replace the onboard battery, but do that only if you face issues (PC time getting reset, BIOS settings getting reset etc).

There is nothing stopping you from going to the latest OS. It only depends on how much RAM you have in the 4 SLOTS. You can Install windows XP but you might have trouble finding all the drivers you need for the motherboard, chipset, and other onboard peripherals for windows xp.

Comment

Working...
      X