Replacing Fake Sanyo's in a SMPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Fake Sanyo's in a SMPS

I have a cheap chinese T12 soldering station that I really like and use a lot. It has (clearly) fake Sanyo WG caps (1000uf 35v) on the secondary side that I'd like to replace with authentic caps. What should I use?

They are 10mm width but could probably squeeze in 12mm caps and they are super short for a 1000uf 35v cap but I could probably fit 30mm max height.

It also has an unpopulated spot so I assume 3 good ones can make up for two. I have some KZE 35v 680uf. Even with three would I be okay on capacitance?
    Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryzen 3600x
    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
    Rosewill Capstone 750W
    Hakko FX-888D Station
    FX-8802 Iron
    MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Re: Replacing Fake Sanyo's in a SMPS

The enclosure sets a height limit about 27mm. Caps were talked about in this thread and Panasonic FS 10x25mm 1,000uF 35V was suggested. I would put in the "optional" 3rd cap as well.
    I am still running the original (fake?) caps they only see part-time 6A load. The 22uF has to go lol.

What version PSU is that? I drew schematics of V2.04, V2.05 power supply but they are bigger (no need to fit big IEC) and look like the same circuit.

Comment

If it gets hot inside the enclosure, KZE and other water-based electrolyte caps might not do well. Nichicon PA series caps would be the closest non-aqueous low impedance parts, and PW or UCC LXZ the next closest non-aqueous series.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        The enclosure sets a height limit about 27mm. Caps were talked about in this thread and Panasonic FS 10x25mm 1,000uF 35V was suggested. I would put in the "optional" 3rd cap as well.
        I am still running the original (fake?) caps they only see part-time 6A load. The 22uF has to go lol.

What version PSU is that? I drew schematics of V2.04, V2.05 power supply but they are bigger (no need to fit big IEC) and look like the same circuit.
        This is not the normal KSGER T12 unit. It's the one with 3 digit 7 segment display. It was a kit and I think it was $23 total or something super cheap. Unfortunately it didn't have the same wiring as the KSGER handles so the KSGER handle I bought (blue and black one) needed to be rewired and the reed switch was in a different place too. Otherwise I love it.
        Attached Files
        Ryzen 3600x
        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
        Rosewill Capstone 750W
        Hakko FX-888D Station
        FX-8802 Iron

Comment

FS is the only cap that is small enough.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
            This is not the normal KSGER T12 unit. It's the one with 3 digit 7 segment display.
            Quicko ??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              Quicko ??
              Whatever this is
              Attached Files
              Ryzen 3600x
              16GB Patriot 3600MHz
              MSI B450 Gaming Plus
              MSI Air Boost Vega 56
              Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
              Rosewill Capstone 750W
              Hakko FX-888D Station
              FX-8802 Iron

Comment

It should be using the usual extruded aluminium enclosure and I measured max. 27mm height so 25mm high caps will fit fine in there.
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=901736

It's the enclosure length that seems to come in long (with mains PSU) and short (controller only with DC jack on the back) sizes.

Did you check if the secondary-side is PE grounded? I see the jumper blob at the GX connector so hopefully that works.

Comment

Those Panasonic's are impossible to find and don't have a restock data until December. I just used the chubby 680uf 35v KZE's I had. They fit fine with some angled installation.
                  Ryzen 3600x
                  16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                  MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                  MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                  Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                  Rosewill Capstone 750W
                  Hakko FX-888D Station
                  FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                    They are 10mm width but could probably squeeze in 12mm caps and they are super short for a 1000uf 35v cap but I could probably fit 30mm max height.

It also has an unpopulated spot so I assume 3 good ones can make up for two. I have some KZE 35v 680uf. Even with three would I be okay on capacitance?
                    Yeah, that should be fine.

I'm pretty sure the fake Sanyo's are nowhere near as good as the KZE's, so those KZE's should be OK.

Comment

Working...
                    X