Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Repurposing a 2004 Athlon 64 system in 2021

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
    And you can still watch YouTube under Windows 2000 today, if you can believe it. Serpent web browser + Windows 2000 Extended Kernel.
    Thanks for sharing this!
    Yes, I just got a hint of that in another thread on here. Haven't tried it myself yet, but would certainly be interested to someday. Apparently Serpent browser can support even more ancient CPUs. Seems like retroPC / 3rd party software coders for older OSes have really picked up more steam in the last few years. I suppose everyone is getting tired from MS'es tactics at this point, and we just don't want a new OS only for the sake of saying we have a new OS.

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    Youtube on my Pentium-M and Atom (both 1.6GHz single core; Atom is HT) are just about unusable, chew up 100% of CPU... Linux/Firefox 91 ESR, 32-bit. Pains me when someone brings a youtube link when I'm using one of these to browse. Sigh.
    I feel you - my main PC is still a s478 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 Prescott... which is probably on par with your Pentium-M there. Same experience when I try to follow a YT link. Though it seems the majority of the CPU hogging is happening only in the beginning of the video, while the silly scripts try to load their stuff (i.e. comments, "related" videos, and etc.) Once they load, video isn't that heavy for me on the CPU - at least 360 and 480p. 720p (@30 FPS only) is playable, but sometimes choppy at high-bitrate parts. So I always have to manually set the quality to 360 or 480p to avoid CPU hitting 100%.

Interestingly enough, today I just learned there are a few "alternative" front-end sites/apps to YT that are much more lightweight (e.g. https://piped.kavin.rocks/)
    Don't think I'm going to replace me visiting YT main page just yet... but good to know such alternatives exist.

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    The old-school FXes=They were so expensive, just like video cards now!
    Kind of and not exactly.
    Yes, they are over-priced... but that's because they're getting more and more rare. Also, the FX CPUs are pretty tough and won't go bad on ya, unlike modern video cards.

Comment

Even managing to stream YouTube Music with fairly light CPU load!
      Attached Files
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Damn... I think my P4 is a bit more stable with a weaker video card. Swapped out the Radeon X800 with a Radeon HD6350 and seems a bit more stable. Now need to see what it does booting into 64-bit Linux...

I now have 9 hard drives in it "just because" - 4 IDE and 5 SCSI/SCA - mainly because the SCA bay is in this machine. It's stressing the 400W PSU in it, saw it using 300W at times, idles a bit under 200W. Sad that the failing 2TB HDD I have exceeds the capacity of all the trash drives I dumped into the machine...

---

And as soon as I posted... poof. Crash. Not stable. Oh well, don't need this P4 anyway.
        Last edited by eccerr0r; 03-19-2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Even managing to stream YouTube Music with fairly light CPU load!
          Nice!

Classic Windows GUI FTW! And I see you're playing Barracuda by Heart - that's another classic. I prefer WinAmp for MP3's, though - more customizable/options and some nice add-ons / skins.

BTW, I see the CPU pinned at 100% for a little bit - I'm guessing that's at the beginning when the YT page loads? I get the same thing on my 2.8 GHz P4 Prescott. Once it loads, my CPU utilization is pretty low - especially if streaming music and the tab with the YT video not active or the browser minimized. The only thing I do like better about the P4 Prescotts is that they have HT, which IME pretty much deals away with audio stutter due to high CPU usage. With my Athlon 64 FX-57, the YT page loads much much faster, but video is stutter-y and very easy to make the audio stutter too if I do something else that loads the CPU very high.

BTW x2: I'm guessing you didn't OC the CPU?

BTW x3: I tried both Basilik and New Moon on a P3 laptop, getting a hint from your thread here. Basilik is OK, but New Moon really flies on that P3 laptop, despite it having only 512 MB of RAM. Or at least I can get online on most websites without errors, FWIW. Many still peg the CPU @ 100%... but what can you do - it's a 20+ year old laptop.

Originally posted by eccerr0r
          Damn... I think my P4 is a bit more stable with a weaker video card. Swapped out the Radeon X800 with a Radeon HD6350 and seems a bit more stable. Now need to see what it does booting into 64-bit Linux...

I now have 9 hard drives in it "just because" - 4 IDE and 5 SCSI/SCA - mainly because the SCA bay is in this machine. It's stressing the 400W PSU in it, saw it using 300W at times, idles a bit under 200W. Sad that the failing 2TB HDD I have exceeds the capacity of all the trash drives I dumped into the machine...
          Well, you're "doing things" that probably aren't good for your "400W" PSU (loading it down too much), and yet you wonder why the system is unstable. Maybe time to check the caps in the PSU and probably back off on the # of HDDs?
          Last edited by momaka; 03-19-2022, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            I prefer WinAmp for MP3's, though - more customizable/options and some nice add-ons / skins.
            I still run 2.81 on everything. Clean, simple, no telemetry telling big brother what I'm listening to.....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Nice!

Classic Windows GUI FTW! And I see you're playing Barracuda by Heart - that's another classic. I prefer WinAmp for MP3's, though - more customizable/options and some nice add-ons / skins.

BTW, I see the CPU pinned at 100% for a little bit - I'm guessing that's at the beginning when the YT page loads? I get the same thing on my 2.8 GHz P4 Prescott. Once it loads, my CPU utilization is pretty low - especially if streaming music and the tab with the YT video not active or the browser minimized. The only thing I do like better about the P4 Prescotts is that they have HT, which IME pretty much deals away with audio stutter due to high CPU usage. With my Athlon 64 FX-57, the YT page loads much much faster, but video is stutter-y and very easy to make the audio stutter too if I do something else that loads the CPU very high.

BTW x2: I'm guessing you didn't OC the CPU?

BTW x3: I tried both Basilik and New Moon on a P3 laptop, getting a hint from your thread here. Basilik is OK, but New Moon really flies on that P3 laptop, despite it having only 512 MB of RAM. Or at least I can get online on most websites without errors, FWIW. Many still peg the CPU @ 100%... but what can you do - it's a 20+ year old laptop.

Streaming an Internet radio station, hence the song. Not many stations that get through on ports 80/443. (My firewall system has nearly all Internet ports locked out.) Definitely going to install WinAmp on this system, as well as Pinnacle Studio 6 or 8, whatever the oldest version I happen to have is. Also going to install a FireWire 400 card in this system just because I can.
              (P.S., said Pinnacle Studio software is currently sitting in a box full of other stuff that would otherwise be obsolete in this day and age, including some stuff which was ALREADY obsolete in 2004 when this system was built. So it *might* be a little bit before I happen to have the time to dig it up and install it.)

And yes, the CPU was pinned @ 100% during page loads, but settles down quite nicely otherwise.

CPU is not O/C'd. Haven't had time to get into that with this system.

I'll give New Moon a try and see how it runs on this system. I don't expect anything much of a difference, seeing as a 17 year old system has a rather low (and hard) speed limit compared to today's hardware.
              Last edited by TechGeek; 03-21-2022, 06:09 AM. Reason: software
              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Well, you're "doing things" that probably aren't good for your "400W" PSU (loading it down too much), and yet you wonder why the system is unstable. Maybe time to check the caps in the PSU and probably back off on the # of HDDs?
                Actually the board crashes with only 1 hdd attached or with another PSU ... I did not find any really bad caps on the board either, in fact I replaced the worst one and it didn't improve the reliability of the board. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  I still run 2.81 on everything. Clean, simple, no telemetry telling big brother what I'm listening to.....

Have you found a way to get it to successfully perform CDDB lookups these days? I certainly haven't been able to.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Have you found a way to get it to successfully perform CDDB lookups these days? I certainly haven't been able to.
                    No, that's been gone for ages. For ripping CD's, I used MMJB, that was the last functional one, and that died decades ago.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Enjoying some time on the Win2K side of the system.
                      Attached Files

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Enjoying some time on the Win2K side of the system.
                        If there was a 64-bit version of Win2k for the x86 platform (there was an itanium version), I'd still be running it!
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Hotrodding the XP side of things now...

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a full version of WindowBlinds or Object Desktop 5? Can only find a trial version of the software and of course you can't buy it anymore because it's well past obsolete.

P.S.: Stay tuned, something cool coming up soon!
                          Attached Files

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Coming together nicely, and got the WindowBlinds situation sorted out.
                            Attached Files

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Dual monitors!
                              Attached Files

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

It's been nearly a year since I've posted to this thread, and several things have happened since then.
                                First, I rearranged the Tech Room back to what it was before this whole thing began, and so the system got demoted to secondary use. But the thing that prompted *that* was the fact that all the Windows bootloaders exploded when I took disk images of the system's hard disks and the only thing that was left bootable was the Debian Linux installation that I had on a separate hard disk.

Fast-forward several months from that point onwards and in preparation for another major excursion with the 1993 Gateway 2000 80486 system, I dragged out a Dell Dimension 2400 that I got from a friend of mine's house that I had installed Windows 2000 SP4 on about 9 months ago, and prepared to boot Debian Linux on the Athlon 64 system with the intention of performing a salvage operation on whatever was left behind.

I got everything set up, fired up the A64 system, and just out of curiosity, I decided to see if any of the Windows OSes (that I actually cared about) would boot. I selected Windows XP x64, and it actually booted to my complete surprise. I diddled around in there for a bit, and then decided to see if the Windows 2000 side of the system would be willing to boot. And sure enough, it booted right up! So for the past day or so, I've been working on getting everything migrated over to the Dell Dimension 2400 system, as that will be the Windows 2000 workstation from here on out.

I'm going to simplify the (fragile and rather shaky) OS situation on the A64 system down to just be Windows XP, and I'm not sure if I want to use x86 or x64. Serpent, IIRC, is only distributed in an x64 variant, and I've already got a working x64 install in place with all the drivers for the system located (and locating the Nvidia GPU drivers for x64 was a royal pain and a half), so I'm fairly tempted to just keep the existing WinXP x64 installation and maybe see if I can't migrate it off of the RAID 0 that's in place to a more stable RAID 1, or maybe move that entire shabang off to the Sil3114 card in there and create a 3-disk RAID 5 out of the whole deal.

Anyways, here's a couple of screenshots. One from the Dell Dimension 2400, and another from the A64 system, complete with the Event Log showing the last time that the system booted.

Dell Dimension 2400:

Athlon 64 System:
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by TechGeek; 03-12-2023, 01:01 PM.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

But the thing that prompted *that* was the fact that all the Windows bootloaders exploded when I took disk images of the system's hard disks
                                  Curious... what program did you use?

I'm going to simplify the (fragile and rather shaky) OS situation on the A64 system down to just be Windows XP
                                  to this.
                                  It's definitely a Windows XP era PC, so I'd keep it just with that.
                                  Sure XP can take on much newer hardware... but this one is era-appropriate for the build, IMO. As for whether X86 or x64... well, if you've already found and installed all of the x64 drivers, then keep it x64. From what I've heard, that's really the hardest part about x64 XP.

I'm still not sold on Serpent browser yet. Mypal has been doing pretty good so far - even the older Pale Moon -based version. I haven't tested the newer one that's based on FF Quantum engine. But this being a single-core machine, you wouldn't see any gains going to the Quantum -based version, which is purely just to get multi-threaded support.

BTW, you could also do Windows 98/SE as a secondary OS on that PC. Would be quite the performer for Windows 98 era games. If I recall, you had a GeForce 4 video card in there. So the system is begging for some late 90's / early 2000's games.

Anyways, cool systems. Keep on rocking them!
                                  Oh, and I'm curious about the specs on that Dimension 2400. Don't recall you posting its specs (or maybe I missed them somewhere?)

Comment

Curious... what program did you use?
                                    Clonezilla. Best disk cloning tool that I've ever used, hands-down.

to this.
                                    It's definitely a Windows XP era PC, so I'd keep it just with that.
                                    Sure XP can take on much newer hardware... but this one is era-appropriate for the build, IMO. As for whether X86 or x64... well, if you've already found and installed all of the x64 drivers, then keep it x64. From what I've heard, that's really the hardest part about x64 XP.
                                    I'll keep it x64, then.

I'm still not sold on Serpent browser yet. Mypal has been doing pretty good so far - even the older Pale Moon -based version. I haven't tested the newer one that's based on FF Quantum engine. But this being a single-core machine, you wouldn't see any gains going to the Quantum -based version, which is purely just to get multi-threaded support.
                                    The only reason that I'd go to the Quantum-based version is simply for support with websites.

BTW, you could also do Windows 98/SE as a secondary OS on that PC. Would be quite the performer for Windows 98 era games. If I recall, you had a GeForce 4 video card in there. So the system is begging for some late 90's / early 2000's games.
                                    GeForce 4 Ti4800SE.

Anyways, cool systems. Keep on rocking them!
                                    Thanks!

Oh, and I'm curious about the specs on that Dimension 2400. Don't recall you posting its specs (or maybe I missed them somewhere?)
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=11

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Not sure how much longer but there are still 32-bit Linux around and Firefox still runs in 32-bit on Linux - as long as you have SSE2 (which includes 32-bit only P4s). Should put up a video of my Atom 1.6GHz netbook running Firefox 102.7 ESR... slowly...

Comment

I am very pleased to report that the new VBulletin software still plays nice with Windows 2000 running Basilisk!

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

I am very pleased to report that the new VBulletin software still plays nice with Windows 2000 running Basilisk!
                                          Firefox 12 on Win2k does not....neither did FF24.x on XP didn't either. I didn't even bother trying any of my NT systems.

I am happy to see that system cranking along though!
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X