Acer Spin 5 - Turns on and off after a few seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Spin 5 - Turns on and off after a few seconds

I have an Acer Aspire Spin 5 that turns on, displays the Acer logo, and turns back off. This happens in approximately 5 seconds. It won't turn on by itself after that, it stays off.

The mainboard is Drift_SKL 16801-1M.

I've already tried disconnecting everything, including the battery. I've also removed the CMOS battery for a while, and still no luck.

The only thing I could find is that the caps behind the CPU all seem shorted out. If this is the case, would it still display the logo?

Other than this, I also noticed that the voltage around the CPU (after it power off) keeps fluctuating between ~0.3V - ~0.9V. Measured at one of the coils. Other than this I don't know what else I can check.

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Last edited by DanFen; 07-10-2022, 02:09 PM.

Re: Acer Spin 5 - Turns on and off after a few seconds

the caps behind the CPU all seem shorted out. If this is the case, would it still display the logo?
    No. Most likely the caps are fine as the measurements may be misunderstood. You are checking the resistance to ground values ?

What is the scale used on your multimeter ? Use the lowest scale.

What are the resistance readings in ohms ?

CPU rails = low voltage rails and low voltage rails are often low in resistance, by design.

Having the logo up is a good sign.

A few suggestions:

1) Remove the battery and drives, etc. to remove them from the equation.

2) Boot up normally -> confirm you see the logo on the display screen.

Focus on sheet 44 of the schematic = TI Charger IC (PU4403).

3) Check the voltage @ 19V_DCBATOUT - what is the voltage ?

4) After the logic board shuts down, review this 19V_DCBATOUT voltage again. Measurement ?

5) What is the voltage on pin # 24 (PWR_CHG_REGN) of PU4403 charger IC ?

Comment

I checked them in beep mode, and disregarded the reading. Maybe that's why I thought they're short. Resistance is 3.2 on lowest scale.

At this stage everything is disconnected from the mainboard, including battery, RAM, m.2 SSD, and the rest.

For some odd reason at one point it stayed on but nothing on screen, now it's doing the same thing but no display.

Unfortunately I don't have the schematics for this board.

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      No. Most likely the caps are fine as the measurements may be misunderstood. You are checking the resistance to ground values ?

What is the scale used on your multimeter ? Use the lowest scale.

What are the resistance readings in ohms ?

CPU rails = low voltage rails and low voltage rails are often low in resistance, by design.

Having the logo up is a good sign.

A few suggestions:

1) Remove the battery and drives, etc. to remove them from the equation.

2) Boot up normally -> confirm you see the logo on the display screen.

4) After the logic board shuts down, review this 19V_DCBATOUT voltage again. Measurement ?

Comment

Referred to datasheet of that IC, and REGN is 6V.

EDIT: Downloaded a similar schematic from this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1083332
        Last edited by DanFen; 07-10-2022, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Review this thread for possible schematic & BV files for your logic board.

Does your logic board look the same as what was just posted ?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...86#post1147886

LOL - you posted at the same time - is your board the same ?

Comment

Yes, the same as that person's And now I have the BV :P (of course)

Review this thread for possible schematic & BV files for your logic board.

Does your logic board look the same as what was just posted ?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...86#post1147886

LOL - you posted at the same time - is your board the same ?

Comment

Post the voltage readings requested in #2 above.

Comment

Checked EC8910 for 19V_DCBATOUT and it's 19.49V

REGN on the charger IC is 6V.

This is after it shut down.

Last edited by DanFen; 07-10-2022, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode (start with the lowest scale).

Check the resistance across the mosfet pins @ PU4401.

This is a 8 pin device (4 on each side).

Check the following for resistance:

source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8)
                  source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
                  gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

Post each measurement and the scale on the multimeter used for the test.

Repeat the same tests on the battery mosfet @ PU4402.

If you see '1' or 'OL', then switch to the next higher resistance scale on your meter.

We are checking for a low resistance on the mosfet = defective.

see here for reference (review the resistance chart):
                  http://electronicsbeliever.com/how-t...0good%20MOSFET.

Comment

PU4401

between source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8): 9.64 (in 20K mode)
                    source (1-2-3) & gate (4): 100 (in 200K mode)
                    gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8): ~.975 ( in 2M mode)

PU4402

between source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8): starts at 75 (in 200K mode) and rises very quickly until out of range
                    source (1-2-3) & gate (4): starts at 175 (in 200K mode) and rises very quickly until out of range
                    gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8): starts at 75 (in 200K mode) and rises very quickly until out of range

Hope I did it correctly. Is it normal it keeps on rising? Is the meter charging it the moment I start measuring?

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode (start with the lowest scale).

Check the resistance across the mosfet pins @ PU4401.

This is a 8 pin device (4 on each side).

Check the following for resistance:

source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8)
                    source (1-2-3) & gate (4)
                    gate (4) & drain (5-6-7-8)

Post each measurement and the scale on the multimeter used for the test.

Repeat the same tests on the battery mosfet @ PU4402.

If you see '1' or 'OL', then switch to the next higher resistance scale on your meter.

We are checking for a low resistance on the mosfet = defective.

see here for reference (review the resistance chart):
                    http://electronicsbeliever.com/how-t...0good%20MOSFET.

Comment

PU4401

between source (1-2-3) & drain (5-6-7-8): 9.64 (in 20K mode)
                      Replace PU4401 - this leg is too low for a normal mosfet.

When using the replacement - check the same pins to compare while it is out of the circuit. The same testing should show the 'fresh' mosfet to be a much higher resistance reading than this (defective) one.

Is it normal it keeps on rising? Is the meter charging it the moment I start measuring?
                      Yes - not a mosfet expert but you can review the numerous articles including this one:

https://www.engineersgarage.com/test...et-part-16-17/

Comment

In this case I'll try to find something similar on some other boards I have around.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't find any P-Channel mosfet with that package on any of the boards I have. So that means I'd need to order a replacement.

Comment

Something odd happens when the battery is connected now. The system turns on with high fan spin, but no display still. The battery is also not charging. PU4402 drain starts at 12V and drops to 0.83.

Another thing I noticed while poking the probes around and trying to analyse measurements (voltages), is that there is voltage anywhere I could check other than at PG4707 & PL4801.

PR4802 is 2.49V (I thought this should be 5V?).
                            Last edited by DanFen; 07-11-2022, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Replace the noted mosfet and test again.

Comment

A lot of weird power issues on Acers are usually keyboard related, as power button is integrated. Original fault fits what I’ve seen. Disconnect keyboard and power on by shorting the 2 end pins of the connector with tweezers (usually pin 27/28) to rule it out.

Comment

On order from AliExpress.

Replace the noted mosfet and test again.

Comment

The power button on this laptop is not on the keyboard, but a dedicated board. It has the power button, power and charging LEDs, a card reader, and two other buttons. It's connected to the mainboard with a flex cable. It's quite a wide flex cable.

Images

It is also powering on without pressing the power button (even with this little board disconnected), when the battery is connected. So it powers on the moment you plug the DC jack. Only if the battery is connected, otherwise without the battery connected you have the press the power button yourself (and in most cases, it will just power itself off after 5 seconds). With the battery it stays on with a high fan spin. Keyboard is always disconnected. You can feel the warmth on the inductors around the CPU, and the CPU itself.

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
                                    A lot of weird power issues on Acers are usually keyboard related, as power button is integrated. Original fault fits what I’ve seen. Disconnect keyboard and power on by shorting the 2 end pins of the connector with tweezers (usually pin 27/28) to rule it out.
                                    Last edited by DanFen; 07-11-2022, 11:06 AM.

Comment

As a suggestion, consider to order spare mosfets to rebuild the entire charger circuit - including the charger IC. The total BOM costs are very low if sourcing from Aliexpress so that you are 100% covered.

Comment

Good idea.

As a suggestion, consider to order spare mosfets to rebuild the entire charger circuit - including the charger IC. The total BOM costs are very low if sourcing from Aliexpress so that you are 100% covered.

Comment

Working...
                                        X