Intel Arc Graphics Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel Arc Graphics Discussion

I've been following it since they announced it, very intrigued. In fact I pre-ordered this A380 last week and it's currently floating around somewhere between UPS and USPS thanks to "Mail Innovations"...

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-arc-a3...82E16814930076

The ASRock card is not as nice build quality as the "Gunnir" brand A380 that launched in China last month that's been reviewed all over the internet, but it is officially available here in the US through normal retail channels at MSRP, so that's a win.

The A380 being a budget card, I'm probably going to try gaming on it for fun, but then relegate it to my Plex server as it supports all the modern decoding/encoding features. I am not sure if Plex even supports it yet, but I'm assuming it will because Plex does support using QuickSync on Intel HD Graphics, so we will see..

I am in the market for a new GPU in the future for my main desktop, as the Tesla M40 12GB is great, but it would be nice to have a proper GPU in there not a hacked up repurposed server card. I'll probably end up with an Arc A770 for that when they finally do release it. The A380 just isn't going to be powerful enough to keep up with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020!

The competition to the Arc A380 being the RX6400 and GTX 1630, well, Arc is a better value than both of them. At the expense of driver optimization and mediocre performance for DX11 and older games.

All that said, there are rumors Intel already wants to kill off Arc. I really hope that's BS. They should have known that competing with AMD and Nvidia is not so simple, cheap, easy. And I think they do, so I suspect those rumors are BS. Because overall I think these Intel graphics cards are probably one of the most exciting and interesting things in the desktop/gaming graphics market in many years.

I'm interested if anyone else has or intends to get an Arc GPU and what you think of the whole thing?

Re: Intel Arc Graphics Discussion

It's crap and the drivers suck, it's been all over the news for months.

Comment

The features are nice, but Intel has never been able to make decent drivers for anything (not just graphics).

I don't think they will succeed because of the drivers and because the PCMR types won't give them a second chance. They've already been labeled "bad for gaming," and that sticks in the enthusiast/gamer market. Nvidia is basically the only choice for professional applications just because of their specific hardware features, so Intel is stuck with the tiny "content creation" buzzword bullshit market.

I don't have any plans to buy one or any graphics card right now. I'm fine with integrated graphics for what I do.
      Last edited by lti; 08-25-2022, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Intel never managed to make one good graphic card ever since the integrated 740 from the i810. I highly doubt they can make something that will hold a candle against AMD and nVidia, IMO.

It's about one of the biggest reasons that when it came to iGPs I'd much rather stick to HD3200 or 4250. Or anything AMD/nVidia - ypu're basically getting 2x GPU performance for the same price of a Intel iGP.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

It depends....I agree too that Intel is not know for good GPU...BUT It is the first generation.I am curious to see the next generation of Intel GPU (Battlemage)

Comment

I forgot to mention that the power consumption is ridiculous for the 3D performance it provides, and it doesn't make any sense to me that the power consumption would be just slightly over the limit for power draw directly from the PCIe slot.

Comment

I am feeling this will be just another i740 fiasco.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                I am feeling this will be just another i740 fiasco.
                Well, the card is here, and it's disappointing. Why? Well it doesn't work. I suspect it's not actually dead, as there have been reports of Arc GPUs simply not working with certain monitors, but I have no display output either to my Samsung 32” TV through HDMI nor a Dell 24” monitor through DisplayPort. So it may as well be dead.

I'll try it on an HP monitor if I can find the power supply for that monitor. If it works I'll keep it. If it doesn't work on that either it's going back.

I'm rather bummed.

Comment

Yeah, I got it to output twice but after installing the driver it went back to nada.

Already opened an RMA with Newegg... I give up.

Comment

Intel graphics has always been my least favorite GPU's.........and after the crap GPU comes their unmentionably sucky drivers.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Meh, I can age of mythology on my i5 10th gen laptop. I've never really had trouble with intel APU's. Just don't expect to play AA-AAA titles on them and get decent performance
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                        Meh, I can age of mythology on my i5 10th gen laptop. I've never really had trouble with intel APU's. Just don't expect to play AA-AAA titles on them and get decent performance
                        Allot of the more recent integrated graphics are on par with something like a GeForce GT1030 or Radeon RX550, not exactly "high-end" but not nearly as crippled as many iGPUs once were.

As for Intel Arc GPUs, they just don't really seem that competitive with Nvidia/AMD from a price/performance capability, and who knows what the driver situation will be early on. Perhaps prices will end up being marked down to be more competitive, or future generations will be better, but as of now I don't see any compelling reason to buy an Intel Arc card.

Comment

well the specs are more like that of a budget entry level video card. first, they used a 96 bit mem bus for the intel A380. for some onboard graphics, if u run the system mem in dual channel mode, that effectively means its a 128-bit mem bus for the onboard graphics too.

second, the gpu is clocked really high at 2.2 ghz. running such high clocks esp. on a gpu is just asking for trouble with regards to power consumption, so no wonder the A380 is such an energy guzzler. so it looks like intel is still just a crawling baby toddler when it comes to gpus and they still dont have the manhood to stand up to the big gpu bois like amd and nvidia but we all had to start somewhere right?

anyway, i think i'd rather buy an airbus A380 cargo plane to keep all my comp stuff safe by hanging them in mid-air from the coming apocalypse. an A380 plane is still a much better investment than the intel A380 at this time. intel gpus are still not ready for prime time yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X