Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin dog training collar.ID help with SMD, Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ID help with SMD, Please?

Continuing with the garmin collars...Here is another TT10 everything working except shock and tone. I'm posting this also hoping that it may help others with these issues.

Replaced the GPS module and collar will connect with handheld Alpha100 and able to track but the shock and tone functions are still not working.
    I found 4 components (capacitors) that are reading short to ground (marked with red marker), 1 on one side the board near the SN9B019 chip (multi-voltage power controller) and 3 more capacitors on the other side of the board.
    I see no cracks in the inductors on this board, like is seen on the other boards.
    Yet the same issue with the shock and tone functions..???????? Hmmmmm????

Attached Files

Comment

Re: Garmin dog training collar.ID help with SMD, Please?

Did some further trouble shooting and found that the 0402 component that the arrow is pointing to in the image below is shorted on all the units that I have tested so far.
      Replacing it with good ones from donor boards fixes the issue of the non-working tone/shock function of the collars.
      Also...some of the collars with cracked inductors work after replacing the 0402 component.

Attached Files
      Last edited by Macroman; 09-12-2022, 07:21 PM.

Comment

looks like a resistor or inductor.
        meter a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          looks like a resistor or inductor.
          meter a good one.
          okay..thanks!
          I plan on metering one today.
          I hope to learn the value of the component, then maybe purchase replacement smd..it will help my friend to save a lot. New collar is $300 USD each.

Comment

The inductors are damaged. This is the hull design.
            There is not enough space between the battery and the board.
            When used and any strikes are damaged.
            Last edited by UserAlexandr; 09-20-2022, 03:57 AM. Reason: Supplement

Comment

Originally posted by macroman View Post
              did some further trouble shooting and found that the 0402 component that the arrow is pointing to in the image below is shorted on all the units that i have tested so far.
              Replacing it with good ones from donor boards fixes the issue of the non-working tone/shock function of the collars.
              Also...some of the collars with cracked inductors work after replacing the 0402 component.

resistor 1Ω

Comment

Re: ID help with SMD, Please?

[QUOTE=Macroman;1162737]Continuing with the garmin collars...Here is another TT10 everything working except shock and tone. I'm posting this also hoping that it may help others with these issues.

Replaced the GPS module and collar will connect with handheld Alpha100 and able to track but the shock and tone functions are still not working.
                I found 4 components (capacitors) that are reading short to ground (marked with red marker), 1 on one side the board near the SN9B019 chip (multi-voltage power controller) and 3 more capacitors on the other side of the board.
                I see no cracks in the inductors on this board, like is seen on the other boards.
                Yet the same issue with the shock and tone functions..???????? Hmmmmm????

3 capacitors according to the scheme are in parallel with the inductors. they will be read to the ground. You don't need to be here. This part of the circuit is responsible for the emission of the radio signal.

Update the collar firmware via WebUpdater

Comment

The TT10 collar is the most unfortunate of the entire line. Can only work with Alpha 100.
                  He thinks his firmware for a very long time. He slows down. Do not torture the components on the board! Most likely they are correct.
                  If the main components fail, the device does not turn on!
                  Update firmware. Change ID in settings. Check if the feature is enabled.
                  Go outside and wait for satellites and communications on the collar and Alpha 100.
                  Check.
                  Does not work? Track the circuit from the output of the function.

Comment

Originally posted by UserAlexandr View Post
                    The TT10 collar is the most unfortunate of the entire line. Can only work with Alpha 100.
                    He thinks his firmware for a very long time. He slows down. Do not torture the components on the board! Most likely they are correct.
                    If the main components fail, the device does not turn on!
                    Update firmware. Change ID in settings. Check if the feature is enabled.
                    Go outside and wait for satellites and communications on the collar and Alpha 100.
                    Check.
                    Does not work? Track the circuit from the output of the function.
                    Thank you very much!!..
                    I have found NPN transistor that is not giving correct reading when tested.

Comment

Did some more testing with multimeter in diode mode and found that there is a BJT-NPN transistor on the board that is not testing correctly..
                      The attached image shows the readings I recorded and the placement of the red and black leads during the testing.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Macroman View Post
                        Did some more testing with multimeter in diode mode and found that there is a BJT-NPN transistor on the board that is not testing correctly..
                        The attached image shows the readings I recorded and the placement of the red and black leads during the testing.

Have you looked at the datasheet for the transistor? Have you disconnected the transistor from the electronic board? There are no exact measurements on the electronic board in the circuit. For an accurate determination, separate the part from the electronic board. Use a device such as the ESR LCR-T4 tester on the Atmega328.
                        Is the component installed near the audio speaker? On a 3.3 Volt power circuit? If there is a beep when turned on, do not touch it. He is a worker.

Comment

Originally posted by UserAlexandr View Post
                          Have you looked at the datasheet for the transistor? Have you disconnected the transistor from the electronic board? There are no exact measurements on the electronic board in the circuit. For an accurate determination, separate the part from the electronic board. Use a device such as the ESR LCR-T4 tester on the Atmega328.
                          Is the component installed near the audio speaker? On a 3.3 Volt power circuit? If there is a beep when turned on, do not touch it. He is a worker.
                          Thanks..
                          I did remove it from the board and test out of circuit. I tested with LCR-T7 ESR meter...Readings were...
                          BJT-NPN
                          hFe=207
                          Ube=698mV
                          Ic=5.9mA

There is no audio, except for beep tone when turning unit on and off.
                          It has 3.7V input power

Data sheet:
                          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...be5f171f21.pdf

Comment

hello friends I just joined you I have a request from you I need garmin t5, tt15, dc50 and tt10 mainboard schematics

Comment

Originally posted by zeko542 View Post
                              hello friends I just joined you I have a request from you I need garmin t5, tt15, dc50 and tt10 mainboard schematics

Is there anyone who can help with this

Comment

Originally posted by zeko542 View Post
                                Is there anyone who can help with this
                                Garmin has protected their products well. Schematics for these devices are not freely available. Repair of devices is possible without service manuals.

Comment

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I have replaced GPS antennas on some of these, mostly TT15. I also repaired some of the LNAs and a few boards with liquid damage. Working without schematics is a real pain.
                                  UserAlexandr seems to be very familiar with these units, I hope you will share more of your experiences with us.
                                  Almost all of them I worked on had the same coil cracked but it does not affect the functions, I guess that's why the EMF shield has a piece of neoprene on it.
                                  The 1ohm resistor referenced to previously is connected to GND so it's not a short. If the functions worked after replacing it, most likely heating up the board in that area caused something to work.
                                  Currently I'm working on one that is not powering up, there's a 30ohm short on the input/ vcc to the SN9B019. Nothing is heating up with 2.5V/ 2.5A, only drawing about 70mA, I compared with a known good board and the resistance should be in the Mohm range.

Comment

Working...
                                  X