New Super Capacitor 5v DC Battery Spot Welder with a 12 volt power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Super Capacitor 5v DC Battery Spot Welder with a 12 volt power supply

This is a new item at Battery Hookup that I bought I have always wanted to buy a good capacitor battery stud welder but they are to expensive for my budget that I want to spend on one this was surprisingly moderate price for what it can

It came by FedEx today so I decided to try it out on some tabbing that my battery stud welder has a little issue making constantly welded with out having to redo some because it would not get hot enough to do it properly

Well right out the box when the super capacitor charges up with the setting as follows does a very good job the first time

Power level set to ten the range is one to 80 however the it goes up to 120

Time before the unit turns on to weld when the tip probes are on the tabbing is as follows

1=0.5 seconds
    2=1.0 seconds
    3=1.5 seconds
    4 =2.0 seconds which is what I have it set on
    5=2.5 seconds
    6=3.0 seconds
    7=3.5 seconds
    8=4.5 seconds
    9=5.0 seconds

So far I only done tabbing on two different types of tabbing that I normally use and I have not so far done a battery pack yet one note the battery cells were cleaned from the old tabbing with a grinding stone

Here is the website link to it

https://batteryhookup.com/products/s...0v-spot-welder
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-21-2023, 05:04 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: New Super Capacitor 5v DC Battery Spot Welder with a 12 volt power supply

"Always wear glasses when spot welding. Keep out of reach of children. Don't eat the spot welder."

LOL

What is actual capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by harp View Post
      ”Don't eat the spot welder."
      You take all the fun out of it

What is actual capacity?
      What do you mean what type capacity are you talking about
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

F per capacitor

Comment

F per capacitor
          Absolutely nothing on the heat shrink tubing but what I can tell you when you remove power from the capacitor board there are two green LED lights that stay for hours and one red LED light that stays on for many many hours
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I tried 0.2F and a SCR trigger, did not seem to be enough ... It's wicked, so much current flows that unpaired segments sometimes twitch when triggered.

I'm using computer grade capacitors, thought supercapacitor/ELDCs were not very good for this purpose ...

Comment

Well I going to be doing a couple of battery packs this weekend coming up and I will let you know how well it works but one thing I can tell you about the super capacitor is that it holds a charge very well with a single LED light glowing all night and all day today and it still was at 4.5 volts and it charges to 5.5 volts when power is applied to the capacitor board
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-22-2023, 07:17 PM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                I tried 0.2F and a SCR trigger, did not seem to be enough ... It's wicked, so much current flows that unpaired segments sometimes twitch when triggered.

I'm using computer grade capacitors, thought supercapacitor/ELDCs were not very good for this purpose ...

Did you design and build this or did you buy the capacitor controller board and you just add the capacitors
                I tried to build one myself but I could not find the right SCR circuit to control the SCR or SCRs

One thing that I noticed about the capacitor board is that the reason it has a cooling fan on top of buck converter there are some probably some mosfets that have a aluminum heat sink that gets extremely warm almost to point that you can not keep your fingers on it for very long periods of time

One thing I noticed when I tried it couple of times is that the voltage did not drop at all on the voltage meter that is on the capacitor board

I think that I am going to remove the buck converter and move it to cutting board and use a bigger heat sink with a cooling fan this is when it is changing the capacitors

The only thing that you control on this battery tab welder is the amount of time that is before it turns on the output to the welder leads and the amount of current going to the output welder leads that is the only two things that you control on this battery tab welder very simple to use
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-22-2023, 07:23 PM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

hodge podge build with whatever i had... i did have a bunch of random parts around so I tried with what I had...
                  The SCRs I tried was a 2N6504 abusing its surge capacity. I have some others now that I could try which look a bit more powerful than a 2N6504, but it didn't seem close and didn't kill the 2n6504...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                    hodge podge build with whatever i had... i did have a bunch of random parts around so I tried with what I had...
                    The SCRs I tried was a 2N6504 abusing its surge capacity. I have some others now that I could try which look a bit more powerful than a 2N6504, but it didn't seem close and didn't kill the 2n6504...
                    Can you please give me an example of how you hooked up 2n6540 or something similar to this part number what did you use for the timing of the discharging of the capacitor or did you just use the total discharge method by using a voltage calculation for how hot your welds are
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

For capacitor discharge with SCRs it is understood that it's total discharge and solely dependent on ½CV² for energy in the weld ...

Comment

Update I just had to modify capacitor tab welder could not get over the fact that the mosfet was getting extremely hot and I wanted to see the charge rate for my self and the need for a fan is not necessary for the charging up the capacitor but will be needed for welding function however so fan will be mounted on the bottom of unit and it will be a temperature controlled fan unit senses i already have some of these type of fans just have to modify it as well so more to come later

With the current set to one amp it gets very warm I have not re-hooked up the original buck converter to see what it was set to when I re-hook it up I posted the results

I will have to wait until I have the cooling fan hooked up before I really start using it

Of course it takes about twice as long to get full charged but I am not necessarily in a big hurry anyway so this might not matter but we will see if it can keep up with how fast I want to be able tab and how well the welds come out

The way the person put the fan it would really only cool the buck converter ic chip and very little on the heat sink on the negative power rail I already have a small heat sink on the buck ic chip anyway
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-27-2023, 12:29 PM.
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

creating a short circuit through semiconductors is always going to be a challenge unless you spend a fortune on IGBT's designed for electric cars or trains!

Comment

I finally had time to find out what the current on the buck converter was set to and it was 500 milliamperes so I am going to set it considerable lower than this so I do not have to worry about the mosfet from over heating or screw a heat sink with fins on it for better cooling ( this is the aluminum bar that runs under the current meter on the capacitor board )

Now I have to decide on how I am going to make the holder for the capacitors and the welding cables and tilt the capacitors so it is easier to read the very small screen that has the voltage/time in seconds/current setting yes the voltage/current meter on the buck converter is upside down to battery tab welder controller but there is nothing that I can do about it unless I want to totally redesign it and that is to much trouble to do this modification and this is not that important to me that it is upside down I can read it upside down anyway

I really did not need two voltage meter but it would be more trouble to disable either one so that will be the way it is

One note that when the voltage gets to 5.3 volts two green LED lights up to let you know that it is ready to go

With the buck converter it has two red LED lights one is the power LED the other one is the current LED light indicator

The buck converter that this person used only has one LED light that is for power it does not seem to have the current one

Until I solve the over heating issue on the mosfets I not going to use it because this is used to charge the capacitors and when you are doing the welding function

I personally think that it would have worked better if a through hole device was used instead of a surface mount device especially since it used the hole time the device is turned ON and the device was mounted on the heat sink bar instead of just next to them
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-27-2023, 07:09 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update

As you can see in the picture I installed some tape style heat sinks on the mosfets array and this took care of the heating issue that it was having while changing the capacitors in the circuit

Which I am pleased with I have cranked up the current from 500 milliamperes to 1000 milliamperes and now I going to fine tune the voltage so when it reaches 5.3 volts and the green LEDs light up tell you that it is ready to use that the current goes down to almost nothing because I know my self well enough that I will probably have it on for hours at a time so that is the reason for being picky about how the voltage/current is setup
                              Attached Files
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is the battery tab welder sitting idle for an hour or so

The mosfets are only slightly warm to the touch and the voltage is set for 5.3 volts @1.0 amps when charging up to cutoff voltage ( the temperature controlled cooling fan will be add the design of the enclosure as I am building the enclosure )

I would say that it is ready for use when I get the holder enclosure for the battery tab welder and switching power supply mounted as well and slots for the welder leads

One note unfortunately the idea about the current going down to almost nothing apparently is not going to take place I am thinking that the combination of capacitors and the controller and the meter display is making it run a little bit more current than what I expected it to be more like 200 to 300 milliamperes at the most

It might drop a little bit more as the forming of the capacitors are completely done it stay this high for a while because what I noticed is that as the capacitor voltage got to around 5 volts the current dropping off was a lot slower than with voltage when it was lower

Then I will be ready to rock and roll

I have bought a second battery tab welder same exact model unfortunately I do not have enough heat sinks to complete the second one right now

The reason for two of them is that I going to put one of them in a battery tab welder that is made for pouch batteries but unfortunately the controller board took a shit and I was about have it ready to put back into service but this capacitor tab welder does a better job of welding than the transformer type

I also used the battery tab welder to do the cross section of the tabbing for more than one battery cell because it made for doing this job as well as the pouch batteries

So I will have to think about how I going to put this in enclosure for the battery tab welding machine this might be a challenging endeavor to say the least
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-04-2023, 04:46 PM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

There still seems to be an issue with the power supply rail when the voltage goes above a center voltage which is unknown at this point I still have a heating issue just not as bad
                                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-05-2023, 08:00 AM.
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

The mysteries is solved to why the power rail was heating up and the two green LED lights on the board if you have green LED lights on you are bleeding excess voltage as heat to keep the capacitors from over voltage conditions and how I realized that is because I have some of exact same type of capacitors that I bought surplus a couple of years ago when I was thinking about building a capacitor tab welder the maximum voltage 2.7 volts so if you multiply that 2 you get 5.4 volts well sure enough that is what is going I was pushing to much voltage to the capacitors because the current had come down to around 700 milliamperes from 1000 that I had it set to the power supply rail was very warm but not only that the capacitors were also a little warm also this is how I put 2 plus 2 equals 4 yea I know I should have realized that earlier but did not but you would have thought that the engineer would have known this as well so I have it set to 5.2something and a current of about 40 milliamperes which just makes the two green LED lights are not on and the bleed resistor or resistors are just a little warm and if you put a incandescent light bulb on the capacitors of about 200 milliamperes the current slowly goes up to value if you leave on there long enough so I finally have it where I want it now if the capacitors get a little warm again running all night long like I did last night I will back the voltage down a little bit more so I have the voltage as high as I can with out generating heat which is just a waste of energy which is not what I am looking for I looking for fairly fast recovery from doing a weld and then doing the next weld and you have one end of the battery cell completely done and while you are going to the next battery cell you have recovered most if not all the charge that you originally had when you first started welding the first battery cell well at least that is the plan let see if this pans out or not
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Test results from running the voltage set to 5.2 versus 5.3 to 5.5 volts
                                      No heating issue what so ever at idle which is what I was looking for
                                      If I load the capacitors with a M16 light bulb it slowly increasing the current from the buck converter from 40 milliamperes to over 200 milliamperes which is what I expect to happen

So now it time to make the enclosure and start putting battery packs together
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I have left the capacitor battery tab welder on power without using for 4 days now and it is 30 milliamperes each time I look at it and it is at room temperature each time I touch the capacitor board and power supply rails so this is the solution for the issue that I was experiencing with it when it came out of the box originally
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X