My new (Very used) Fluke 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new (Very used) Fluke 27

Thanks to a timely PM from a prominent forum member I was able to pick this meter up from Ebay for $22 including shipping costs. The leads that you see in the first picture came with it and are probably worth the price I paid by themselves. Although it may look rough on the outside and it is old this is a heck of a meter. It is drop rated for 3 meters and water proof for 1 meter and it is my understanding that the FM version is true RMS also. Dave at eevblog has a review of this meter. http://www.eevblog.com/2012/10/18/ee...view-teardown/

Anyhow the meter arrived yesterday, not surprising, it did not have a battery in it. So before I powered it on I wanted to see the insides. My first cause for concern was the fact the fuses were blown. I did not let this bother me too much as someone may have just decided to throw some duds in and keep the expensive Fluke ones.

My second cause for concern was when I got to the LCD screen. You should be able to see the cracked LCD glass in one of the attached pictures. I was wondering what kind hit this meter took to do damage this deep considering the 3m drop rating. Once I saw this I did not want to mess with the screen any more so I quickly reassembled that portion of the meter.

I continued to disassemble the rest of the meter but I did not find any other problems. It appears it was manufactured sometime in 1989 as the main chip appears to have a manufacturing date of the 19th week in 89.

So after I got it back together it was time to see if it worked and how bad the screen was damaged. I was able to catch a shot of the screen during its' POST so as you can see it appears to not show any sign of being damaged. I then compared the DC voltage reading to that of my Fluke 175 as you can see in another picture. It is not quite spot on, but close enough that I do not think I am going to mess with the adjustments at this time. Overall I am very pleased with it and think I got much bang for my bucks.

Attached Files

Re: My new (Very used) Fluke 27

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
    The leads that you see in the first picture came with it and are probably worth the price I paid by themselves.
    The TL75 leads that you received are fairly new. 05/12 denotes May 2012. While they are not silicone, they do last a long time and are robust. All my TL75s were purchased used/abused and they all show 0.2 ohms when shorted.

In Canada, a new set of TL75s cost $25 CDN + taxes.

Although it may look rough on the outside and it is old this is a heck of a meter. It is drop rated for 3 meters and water proof for 1 meter and it is my understanding that the FM version is true RMS also.
    Your multimeter is true RMS. The Fluke RMS chip is shown in your front pcb photo.

Anyhow the meter arrived yesterday, not surprising, it did not have a battery in it. My first cause for concern was the fact the fuses were blown.
    The last 5 or 6 multimeters I have purchased have all come with heavy duty batteries that barely power on the multimeter.

As for fuses, I always ask if the fuses are good or not, but with a low BIN, sometimes you can't ask and wait otherwise the BIN price is gone.

Since you have 3 other multimeters that can measure mA, I suggest using a regular fuse for the uA in the Fluke 27/FM if you are going to be measuring low current and low voltage.

My Fluke 27 came with pre-blown fuses as well.

I was able to catch a shot of the screen during its' POST so as you can see it appears to not show any sign of being damaged.
    Press min/max. Min should show up on the top left hand corner.

Measure a standard AA battery, but put the red probe on the negative terminal and black probe on the positive terminal. The - sign should be displayed.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Also, measure something that is 3.000V DC or close to it. Let's make sure the most significant digit shows 3 properly. I'm concerned that damaged glass is potentially affecting the zebra strip.

Here is a picture of my power up screen. Note the left hand side I see MIN, the - sign, battery icon, the "funny" 8.

If it is damaged, I would contact the seller and show him the evidence by pointing to this post.
      Attached Files
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        Also, measure something that is 3.000V DC or close to it. Let's make sure the most significant digit shows 3 properly. I'm concerned that damaged glass is potentially affecting the zebra strip.

Here is a picture of my power up screen. Note the left hand side I see MIN, the - sign, battery icon, the "funny" 8.

If it is damaged, I would contact the seller and show him the evidence by pointing to this post.
        Yikes!! I thought the display was sort of bare, but I did not see any anomalies so I did not think much about it. After looking at your picture I can see quite a bit of difference between the two.

I will test it when I get home tonight. I am hoping that that part of the display turned off before I took the picture, but that sure would be coincidental.

Comment

I am hoping that that part of the display turned off before I took the picture, but that sure would be coincidental.
          That is possible, but I have switched mine on/off about 10 times and cannot get that theory to work.

Since the seller lists "All settings work" then it should work.

If MIN doesn't appear and the number 3 doesn't appear as the most significant digit, then I would consider it broken. The MIN isn't that important, but you certainly want to see "3" and "2" as the most significant digit.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I hate to say it, but that LCD is toast. There are 4 segments and 3 annunciators missing, including the minus sign, which is to be expected, considering the busted glass.

Comment

Originally posted by modemhead View Post
              I hate to say it, but that LCD is toast. There are 4 segments and 3 annunciators missing, including the minus sign, which is to be expected, considering the busted glass.
              As much as I hate too admit defeat, I have to agree with your diagnosis. I was able to do a little testing just to confirm what Retiredcaps already suspected.

The thing to do now is figure out how to repair it and what kind of meters could be a potential doner. My Fluke 21 is from the same era as the Fluke 27. While the LCD is mounted completely differently, I wonder if the guts are the same? Since my 21 works just fine, I did not want to risk tearing into it more than I did in the pictures to see if it would interchange. However it would mean there were a lot more options available if it would.
              Attached Files

Comment

The 21/23/75/77 LCDs do not have all the annunciators that the 27 LCD has, so I would not expect that to work. As far as I know, only the 8025, 25, 27, and 37 have that particular layout of numbers and symbols.

You're on EEVblog forum, right? Maybe a PM to Excavatoree would net some more useful advice.

Comment

The 27 can be usable if you are willing to accept it is now a 2,000 count manual range multimeter and not a 3,200 count multimeter.

In order to use it, you will have to press the manual range button at least twice. Press it once and it puts you in 3.2V DC mode. Press it twice and it puts you in 32V DC mode.

So instead of seeing 3.003, you will see 3.00 when in 32V DC manual range mode.

Personally, I would contact the seller and see what he says (he will have to register to see all the photos here). It is possible that the glass was broken in transit, but that doesn't explain the blown fuses. I estimate that 95% of the Fluke sellers on ebay think the fuses are okay because the multimeter powers up. They don't understand that measuring ohms and voltage does not require a good fuse.

If all else fails, PM me.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You're on EEVblog forum, right? Maybe a PM to Excavatoree would net some more useful advice.
                    Yes, Excavatoree has a lot of Flukes if you haven't seen this picture. Scroll to bottom of the page at

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/po...'s-do-you-own/

He might have a couple of spare LCDs from broken Fluke 27s? Tell him, modemhead and retiredcaps sent you. He should know both of us from eevblog.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The thing to do now is figure out how to repair it and what kind of meters could be a potential doner.
                      For the older multimeters, Fluke and others make excellent service manuals with theory of operation, schematics and parts lists.

So there is no need to take apart working multimeters to see if the lcd are interchangeable.

Since I'm interested in learning more about how multimeters work, I like the older models with all the above wealth of information. It is also easier for me to work on the larger through hole components than the 0603 or smaller smd stuff.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

My second cause for concern was when I got to the LCD screen. You should be able to see the cracked LCD glass in one of the attached pictures. I was wondering what kind hit this meter took to do damage this deep considering the 3m drop rating.
                        I don't remember if I brought your attention to these 2 eevblog videos. It is well worth the time to watch them to see what makes the lcd on a Fluke multimeter break (2nd video).

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/02/28/ee...view-teardown/

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/03/07/ee...ke-multimeter/
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The 21/23/75/77 LCDs do not have all the annunciators that the 27 LCD has, so I would not expect that to work. As far as I know, only the 8025, 25, 27, and 37 have that particular layout of numbers and symbols.

Thanks for the information on which models would work for replacements. I did not have much hope that something similar to the 21 would work but I do not know much about how they operate.

The 27 can be usable if you are willing to accept it is now a 2,000 count manual range multimeter and not a 3,200 count multimeter.

In order to use it, you will have to press the manual range button at least twice. Press it once and it puts you in 3.2V DC mode. Press it twice and it puts you in 32V DC mode.

So instead of seeing 3.003, you will see 3.00 when in 32V DC manual range mode.
                          I do not mind the lesser number of digits, I will just have trouble remembering to use the manual mode button. It may become my 5vsb output meter, at least until I get it repaired.

Yes, Excavatoree has a lot of Flukes if you haven't seen this picture. Scroll to bottom of the page at

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/po...'s-do-you-own/

He might have a couple of spare LCDs from broken Fluke 27s? Tell him, modemhead and retiredcaps sent you. He should know both of us from eevblog.
                          Wow, if someone has a screen to spare I think it would be him. I will take you up on Modemhead's and your suggestion.

For the older multimeters, Fluke and others make excellent service manuals with theory of operation, schematics and parts lists.

So there is no need to take apart working multimeters to see if the lcd are interchangeable.

Since I'm interested in learning more about how multimeters work, I like the older models with all the above wealth of information. It is also easier for me to work on the larger through hole components than the 0603 or smaller smd stuff.
                          I did not know about the manuals, although I figured the military model(s) would be well documented if could get them. I still have my 21's owners manual and I threw the box out within the past year.

I don't remember if I brought your attention to these 2 eevblog videos. It is well worth the time to watch them to see what makes the lcd on a Fluke multimeter break (2nd video).

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/02/28/ee...view-teardown/

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/03/07/ee...ke-multimeter/
                          Those videos were very entertaining and make me wonder even more what was done to my meter. I would love to find one of those 28II's at my local pawn shop.

Thanks for all the useful advice guys!

Comment

It may become my 5vsb output meter, at least until I get it repaired.
                            You can use it on the 12V ATX rail without any resolution loss.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Well, Excavatoree was kind enough to find me a replacement LCD that he was willing to sell to me. I got it today and was able to try it out. It now seems that the meter is working correctly, at least the display.

I now know to pay closer attention to the display when I get a new used meter. I want to say thanks to Retiredcaps and Modemhead for helping me out on getting this meter repaired.

Attached Files

Comment

I now know to pay closer attention to the display when I get a new used meter.
                                Unfortunately with mis-priced Buy It Now (BIN) items, you really have to rely on an accurate description from the seller because if you ask questions, someone else is likely to buy while you are waiting for an answer.

When I see a mis-priced BIN, I read as fast as I can and quickly check out feedback. Depending on the item, I price in worst case scenarios like two blown fuses which cost $10 each and then decide if the BIN is still worthwhile or not.

For example, if a Fluke 87V was listed at $50 BIN and described as "used" and working, I would buy it. Even if it came with no probes and two blown fuses, it would be worth it. There could be more wrong with it, but I could accept the $50 risk.

PS. When checking a multimeter, you normally press and hold a button during power up. All the segments should light up and be evenly lit.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have seen this guy on ebay selling displays for Fluke 29 or 79 multimeters for quite some time if it helps anybody.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-QTY-lot-8...2#ht_495wt_679

Comment

Originally posted by volkswagenvan View Post
                                    I have seen this guy on ebay selling displays for Fluke 29 or 79 multimeters for quite some time if it helps anybody.
                                    The numerical descriptions over the bargraph, looks messed up on those LCD,
                                    but if they work, then possibly they can be considered as alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by volkswagenvan View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-QTY-lot-8...2#ht_495wt_679
                                      Before when they were listed as "LF7722G" only, I gave someone here mentioned in this thread a "heads up" and he managed to get 50 (fifty) of them for 99 cents.

After the seller realized they were for Fluke multimeters and changed the description the bidding went up significantly.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

a replacement LCD
                                        Yes it is an original part and by 99% made by OPTREX as they are the most Fluke LCD of that era.

I am happy for you too, now it is time to buy an soft-bag for it with zipper in the side, so to protect your meter and keep it safe.

Comment

Working...
                                        X