No announcement yet.

EBC-A10H BatteryTesting Machine Mosfet Failure when activate dose not turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EBC-A10H BatteryTesting Machine Mosfet Failure when activate dose not turn off

Oh wel… sometimes things don’t go very well as planned. In my post 39 I complained about being busy. geez… nothing changed here… still busy as eff.

Comment

Re: EBC-A10H BatteryTesting Machine Mosfet Failure when activate dose not turn off

I have not abandoned this project just some more important things have gotten in the way and were more important to deal with but hopefully I will have some more time and will get some of these modules mounted in a couple of enclosures and do some BMS testing because I have some that I recently bought and want to see just how good they are in controlling cutoff voltage in the charging mode and what the cutoff voltage in the discharge mode and how well the temperature sensor behaves under torquer testing externally heat source

I also plan on testing the Milwaukee BMS protection board for the same type of testing that I mentioned above I have plans to test the Ryobi packs the same way and the other tool battery packs that I have so stay tuned more to come these testing results are in the future when I get my shed setup for this type of project battery testing
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-07-2023, 01:29 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I had emailed the company about getting replacement parts for this model and another model that I have and did get a response but when I went to respond to there email I now get a non delivery notification and now there website does not have there email address posted anymore so I have wondered if they are about to go under or it is being sold to someone else and who knows what will happen next with there product line

This is unfortunate because they have a decent graphic display for there battery testing machine but they have some issues with there with either the mosfets / charging board or the controller board that controls that section of the device and to make matters worse is there manual make it seem like you can charge battery packs with BMS protection board but it does not say this in actual words but in reality this should be avoided at all cost because it spikes the voltage when turning off the charging current or the BMS protection board does not want to turn on because of to high of voltage and then you see the voltage spike on the graphic display chart so in reality it should only charge naked battery cells and nothing else

If you only charge and discharge naked battery cells you will not have any issues with the battery testing machine but I found this out the hard way the bright side of this story is that I learned how this system works for the most part and more importantly I learned that you can not use this battery testing machine to charge battery packs that have BMS protection boards the other side of this story is that the EBC-A10H is around $100.00 well worth the money if use with the understanding that you can never use it with battery packs that have BMS protection boards on them

The fortunate thing is that if the mosfets / charging board malfunctions you can still use the battery charger but you have to remove the mosfets from the board and do a little bit rewiring to the board in the monitoring mode and then you can use it to test battery packs that have BMS protection boards but you also have to manually adjust the charging current and then you have to have a discharging device to load test the battery pack

I have a few things left to do in my shed so that I can do the type of battery testing on battery power tool packs I still have to run power on one wall and put a power strip on the battery back up for the computers that are going to be used for this battery testing stations so stay tuned for to come maybe in couple of months
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-16-2024, 07:06 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Update I finally got the switching power supply in it own enclosure and now I am doing a burn in test it is Mean-Well switching power supply 12 volts @ 5 amps and the enclosure came from Electronic Goldmine which this the first time that they have had this type of enclosure made for small switching power I have seen them on AliExpress before but were a little pricey for what they are and what is nice about these enclosure is that they have holes with stand offs but they are not that long but not long enough to use 3mm screws to switching power supply enclosure so I had to use some short stand offs that are threaded on one end the other end takes a thread screws as you can see in the pictures below

I removed the LED light from the board and mounted a LED light on the enclosure lid so it is easier to see it which also came Electronic Goldmine that I bought many years ago when they were practically giving them away I have a lot of them and I used them when I want an indicator light on the enclosure so I can see weather or not it has power or not

So now I need to make the power supply distribution center for the battery testers that I am going to hookup to it but that is for another weekend might not be very soon because I have other projects that need to be finished but yesterday and today it has done nothing but light rain so I got busy and finally finished this part of the project and the soldering / desoldering stations that I finally finished yesterday and I am using one of today for this project

I probably buy a couple more of these enclosures before they are finished at Electronic Goldmine for a couple of other switching power supplies that have the power connections at one end of enclosure I like this type of switching power supply but I do not like the idea and fact that electrical connections are done this way and make using them very limited but these enclosures make it a lot safer to use them

The enclosure that I used for this project The second link is the other enclosure that they also sell and third link is the switching power supply that was used for this project

https://theelectronicgoldmine.com/products/g27675

This is the other size of enclosure that they also sell

https://theelectronicgoldmine.com/products/g27643

Here is the switching power supply that I use for this project

https://theelectronicgoldmine.com/products/g27679
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-18-2024, 02:11 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update on the larger power supply enclosure I not sure exactly what version of switching power has this screw pattern because the switching power supply that is larger does not match so will have remove the standoffs and replace them in the right configuration so I can mount the switching power supply that has voltage and current adjustments and mount the voltage and current meter module on the outside of the enclosure with an external power lightbulb

I will post some pictures of the finished project when I have it completed and ready to install in the shed with the battery testing machine and its switching power supply and it charging switching power supply as well with the computer system setup and a battery pack with a BMS protection board installed

The plan for this weekend is to run the power for the wall outlets so I can hook up the computers and monitors and battery testing machines and maybe do some test runs on testing battery packs that have BMS protection board and see how well this setup works

I had done this as a proof of concept about a year ago and the results were satisfactory which is why I pushing full speed ahead and hopefully this will work as I hope that this will be the case

I still have to finish modifying the battery testing machine that the mosfets boards that are damaged and use them in this new configuration I have one more that I found recently that was also damaged slightly that I still have the mosfets still on the board but the 24 volt switching power supply was replaced with a 12 volt switching power supply just to power the controller board and the battery power supply for the charging function will now be done with a switching power supply that has an adjustable voltage and current control this is one that I did the proof of concept on the reason I forgot about this one was I had misplaced this one and found it again a couple of weeks ago but that is reason I bought another battery tester that only does discharging function which is the version that uses an external switching power supply and I will switch them around but I also have to modify the communication cable because the pin outs are a little bit different from each other and the length of the cable is also different as well
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-23-2024, 11:18 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
            X