BAUER 20V Brushless Cordless Air Compressors modifications that I am doing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAUER 20V Brushless Cordless Air Compressors modifications that I am doing

I had bought one of them about a year ago and the one thing that I do not like about it is that the battery made for dose not have very long running time even though it has two 5 amp hour battery packs which the battery packs do test at 5 amps each it is that this air compressor takes a lot of power to run ( Harbor Freight I will post a website link if anyone is interested in buying one and doing the same thing )

JX9 Multi Wire VTOL Pro Connector w/ Servo Extension Plug Signal Wire Is the second picture this can be found on EBay if anyone is interested in this connector I will post the website link for them

The third picture is the battery pack and they did come with the enclosure but now Battery Hookup does not sell them that way anymore so I will will not list the website link it but they still sell them however they are in lots of 40 and you have to bid on them ( I have to modify this battery pack from 48 volts to two 20 volt battery banks )

The four picture is the other battery connector that I going to use from the air compressor to the battery pack ( this item can also be found on EBay as well

I have wanted to build a battery pack for this battery operated air compressor and in another post I mentioned it but could not find a connector that I could link the BMS protection board to the battery charger until today when I found this battery connector this just what I was looking for now I can make the battery pack for this air compressor

I have used this air compressor a few times where to find a AC outlet would have been a challenge to complete the job I was doing on my sons semi truck and his tires and repair his air conditioning system

I will post some pictures of these modifications when I am completely done with this project and have it worked the way I want it to work
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-22-2022, 08:00 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: BAUER 20V Brushless Cordless Air Compressors modifications that I am doing

This is an odd tool...
    hmm. I never measured how much energy it takes to fill my 8 gallon air compressor's tank, but it's a lot of energy relatively speaking, probably on the order of 300-400 watt-hours. Since your tank is smaller, only ΒΌ the size, yours probably takes 75-100Wh. This is still a hefty battery pack (large laptop battery) and can only fill the tank ONCE.

Oh now see that it's 20V so looks like at 5Ah, each pack is 100Wh and can only fill the tank once... 2 batteries = fill twice... ahh.

Comment

The two battery packs can fill the tank about 4 times and then it time to recharge the batteries
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Eh close enough
        I really should measure how much energy it takes to fill my compressor's tank, maybe it is only 150-200 Wh? These are all wet finger guesses, maybe it doesn't take 10 minutes to fill and more like 5 minutes. Have to more accurately, curious now. But still significant at 150-200Wh, at $0.11/kWh it's around 2 cents per fill, unlike filling a cell phone battery which is almost negligible.

Speaking of air tools, you can empty my compressor's air tank in 30 seconds with a really hefty tool, so it's like being able to draw 20KW (28HP) in your hand for 30 seconds, granted efficiency of air tools has the same limitation as otto cycle engines and suffer some inefficiencies when converting to motion.

Since you're only using for blowing air around, that's a bit different use model...

Comment

I was using my compressor to clean off my lawnmower for the season.

Oh man...

My compressor made my Kill-A-Watt cry for mommy. Peak power is way overflow and it blinked, steady state on power is slightly overload (> 15A = ~2HP) and also blinked.

Was using it for 15 minutes and it ate 0.33kWh for just blowing off dirt and dust off my mowers - the gasoline one is of course much more oily than the electric, but in any case the one time I let it refill without using it, took about 50Wh to fill from ~50PSI (whatever the low threshold is) to 125PSI (or whatever the high threshold is), took 2-3 minutes or so. Of course when cleaning my mowers, it was pretty much continually running so it was chewing power madly.

Though the duty cycle wasn't exactly 100%, this eats about as much power as my small space heater and heat gun (both around 1400W).

Comment

Yes they do and can tell when it starts and the lights dim when start
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

some things shouldnt be run on batteries - including dewalt zero-turn mowers!
              https://www.protoolreviews.com/dewal...-catches-fire/

Comment

That was unfortunate, but I don't think it should preclude running on batteries.

Not so sure about air compressors yet, at least if the air compressor is used for certain power tools... Definitely if the air compressor is used for cleaning or painting, that's fine, but for impact wrenches and die grinders I don't think it's the right way to do things...

Comment

The battery operated air compressor is not intended to run air tools and I not using for those purposes anyway

I use it mostly on air in tires and and flushing out air conditioning systems which it good for those purposes
                  and blowing something off
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Speaking of airing tires, I know even with an 8 gal tank I can't fill many tires before hitting low pressure, must mean that it takes a whole pack or so to fill a tire? Wow...

BTW for those tools that have more than one pack, does it require both at the same level or does it waste energy by putting in a diode in series with each pack...

Comment

It has a controller that some how drain both batteries to the same voltage level I am not sure exactly how this controller works and it is encased in black potting so I can tell you much more than this except that it has two long and some what large capacitors that sticks out of the potting

One other thing I can tell you about this controller is that it does not have a direct connection between the two positive or the two negative terminals or to the negative to positive terminals

I can not tell if you have to have both batteries to the same voltage or not because I have not tried this yet but I might just see what happens if I did this
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-26-2022, 07:38 AM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

maybe it runs them in parallel through some fets

Comment

Ideally it should use fets else it's not safe...

Comment

Update on air compressor battery pack modifications higher amp hours

I had bought one of them about a year ago and the one thing that I do not like about it is that the battery made for dose not have very long running time even though it has two 5 amp hour battery packs which the battery packs do test at 5 amps each it is that this air compressor takes a lot of power to run ( Harbor Freight I will post a website link if anyone is interested in buying one and doing the same thing )

Well I finally found some time put this project together I had bought couple of HERCULES 12 amp hour battery packs when they were on sale and I also bought the new 4 amp battery charger also when it was on sale replace the crape cooling fan it got up graded

Now I can use the air compressor and push the fuel gauge while it is running and it still a fully charged battery packs when I have another project that needs a air compressor and no electrical outlet I will see how well it works then
                            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-09-2023, 07:43 PM.
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is a picture of the completed project

Yes I know that the battery packs are not the same brand but I want to have the most running time on a set of battery packs
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-23-2023, 08:47 AM.
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                Here is a bigger overkill for this project

Yes I know that this battery pack is not even close to what was originally intended to be there I want to have the most running time on a set of battery packs
                                Here is another offer from Battery Hookup

https://batteryhookup.com/products/1...0-3-7v-5000mah

Yes I am going to modify this battery pack and use a BMS balancing protection board for both sides of this battery pack

It is a 40 volt battery pack I just have to remove the middle tabbing that joins the two 20 volt battery cell banks together and have them completely separated

Yes this battery pack module is somewhat expensive but to me from my testing battery cells from the first battery pack that I bought it well worth the money to have smaller profile with this battery pack setup
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

come to think of it I do wonder how those double pack battery multiplexers work for maximum efficiency... two possible theories, one more expensive than the other, but would like to see some two to one circuitry to see how it works...
                                  Well a third theory too: assuming both batteries are kept at the same SoC. Then this one is easy.

Comment

Well unfortunately the module that does this is potted and I not going to mess with it because it working ok right now but in the future if it stops working correctly I might consider removing the potting and seeing how it was done

One note if someone thinks that they can just use a bigger battery on the original battery charger no you can not because they have a charging timer and when it reaches a certain amount of time it errors out so you have to use a charger that does not have a charging timer on it and use your own BMS balancing protection board when trying to use a bigger amp how battery pack

One other note Bauer has a 8 hour battery pack coming out soon but this is not going to help this very much and you would be better off building your own battery pack for this compressor unit

One other note Bauer does have a better battery charger coming out as of right now so I would like to know if the battery charger that do have will heat up even more because of the bigger amp hour battery pack

Because I tried this first and found out the hard way
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-28-2023, 06:48 PM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

One correction about the battery charger from Bauer it was supposed to be that they do NOT have a new battery charger but they do have a new 8 amp hour battery pack coming soon
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well here is the battery pack modification that I was going to do for the second battery pack for the battery operated air compressor that I have part one

Here is the battery pack that I got from Battery Hookup. com that is a 36 volt battery pack turned into two 18 volt battery packs

https://batteryhookup.com/products/1...0-3-7v-5000mah
                                        Attached Files
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X