Any kind of IC programmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any kind of IC programmer

I recently watched a video, which claims the possibility of programming different types of chips with arduino - just unsolder the atmega328p and connect to the rx and tx pins is a summary...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yJ4GbJH_TU

however, there are universal programmers that supposedly can program many chips, even over 100000+ are listed...
    https://www.advin.com/universal-prog...list-6100N.htm

Since they all work automatically through the software, the interior of the programmer is very complex, but it indicates that many chips can be programmed according to the same principle only by adjusting certain settings, eg voltage, frequency, additional signals, pin layout, etc.

for the needs of DIY and occasional programming, it is not at all important that the device is automatic, but that it can program what is needed, whether it is 27xxx... 25xx, 24xx, 93xxx, 95xx, kbxxx various sio startup ic, at..., pic. .. smbus, uart, 1.8v, - 24v, etc... so one thing for all without additional adapters with electronics.

my question is, is there already any such project for DIY self-builders that has been developed, tested, supported and reliable?

Re: Any kind of IC programmer

the adapters are mainly because the pinouts of each of the ICs are different, and then the rest of it is in software.

The reason why universal programmers can be expensive is because they can control each pin as needed for any chip -- these are actually quite complex to be fast...and safe. The easy way out is adapters which has the added benefit to sellers as they can sell each as an added cost.

For the DIY and occasional programming most likely you have to deal with the individual pinout. A programmer that's tailored to one specific kind of chip is much easier to design/make.

Still doesn't make sense what you want to give up for cost. Seems you still want universal programming for any IC and you don't want custom adapters or electronics, but you have to give up something to get price to go down.

Comment

it's completely fine that what I'm writing makes no sense - I don't have enough knowledge about this topic, but I want to get some information through the discussion and maybe give an idea to someone who has the knowledge and the ability to create a new generation of DIY programmers.

as for the signals on the pins and the waveforms, I don't know anything about it at all and I wouldn't pay attention to that at the moment. I think that for most protocols, 8 separately controlled channels, such as cheaper DIY microcontrollers or arduino uno, nano... along with power lines, are quite enough.

but, I think that the design itself can be improved a lot, to get a much more flexible device with which any desired chip can be programmed. my basic assumption is that if the datasheet of the chip is publicly available and if the chip is intended to be read/programmed, then there must be a way to do it without constantly buying various adapters that always fail... always needs some "specific" you dont own...

for example, changing the clock frequency and timing would should be adjustable via programmer software, while the voltage could be adjusted by hardware - from 5v from the usb connector to any voltage using 34063, 1117 and similar.

My original idea is that the software interface enables you to input of new data from the datasheet in order to create new conditions for communication on each channel. and it should be made as simple as possible, clear and intuitive as possible for all important parameters.
      therefore, there would not be a list of thousands of supported chips, but only groupings, categories that include the same characteristics.

eg if the i2c protocol is created, then it doesn't matter if any chip from the 24xx series is programmed or accessing the temperature sensor or the BQ eprom of the battery.
      if an individual chip requires an additional signal in addition to the i2c protocol, it can easily be included on a free channel, as well as changing that i2c protocol as needed.

I see the different layout of the legs as the smallest problem. first you need to come up with a basic "bare bone" model that will not change, and that can be easily modified or add an adapter as needed. here's how I imagine it right now in attach.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've found this interesting project, so look
        https://www.instructables.com/DIY-UN...VR-PROGRAMMER/
        It is based on PIC18F2550 and connect with usb to pc.

Supported devices:

PIC Devices :
        PIC 10-12-16-18-24, dsPIC 30-33

3.3V devices : PIC12F1xxx, 16F1xxx,18FxxJxx, 18FxxKxx, 24Fxxxx, 24Hxxx, dsPIC33xxx.

AVR Device :
        It supports serial and HV serial programming.

AT90Sxxxx, ATmega- 48, 8, 88, 8515, 8535, 16, 164, 168, 32, 324, 328, 64, 644, 1284.

ATtiny- 11, 12, 13, 313, 24, 25, 26, 261, 4313, 44, 45, 461, 48, 84, 85, 88, 861.

EEPROM Device :
        24xxxx, 25xxx, 93xx6, DS24xx, 11xxx.

I found another one, PonyProg, which comunicate with pc over serial RS232 cable, but covered a very much adapters...Its purpose is reading and writing every serial device. At the moment it supports I2C Bus, Microwire, SPI eeprom, the Atmel AVR and Microchip PIC micro.

All are DIY programmers, and good base for developer

Comment

forget it,
          for anything not serial your gonna need 22-42 pindriver circuits and your not gonna find decent software to run it anyway.

best bargains are the XGecu units, if you dont need more than 40pins then T48 and if like me you get 42pin roms then T56
          and software updates are regular with new devices.
          https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004419266579.html
          https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000802208288.html
          to get better than that your looking at 600+ for something like a UXP48, and even they arent great because they charge for software updates! (bastards)

Comment

Yeah, the XGECU T48 or T56 are easy, cheap and they work. I use an older TL866II.

Comment

i just sold my 866II to put the money towards a T56,
              i got almost what i paid for it because the buyer needed it fast.

Comment

Nice upgrade! I thought about upgrading too, but then on a second thought I don’t need it to program anything that I could not program already. I’ve got the TL866II and the RT809H. I guess, I am good for now.

Comment

it's great until your programming 48pin tsops with a stack of adapters or 42pin eproms with manual bankswitching!

Comment

In this mentioned programmers tl866, rt809, t48, t56... or others, is there a option to make or add manually to list some config/setup file with custom timing for specific signal, not binary, some human readable?

Comment

not sure, but you can run the software in demo mode - try it
                      http://forums.xgecu.com/viewthread.php?tid=20

Comment

Working...
                      X