• Show
Clear All

Harbor freight Needle picks

Today, I found this at harbor frieght:

They also happened to be on sale this week... $2.99 instead of $4.99

Logically, one would aim for the striaght pick:

Which can be used like a dentist's pick:

... But on most boards will not go all the way through:

This is a problem... It makes it easy to accidentally push out the hole liners, which can kill a board.

However, the other picks work better on small holes, this one especially:

In addition to having a seemingly more gradual taper, they also prevent pushing too far:

The other non-straight picks also work to varying degrees. The straight pick also works well on larger holes (like on modern dual layer PSU boards).

I thought I would let the community know that this exists... heck, they work better thent he electronics soldering picks a few Aisles over. They also are a lot easier to come by than dentist picks, which can be hard to source locally.

Comments?
    Attached Files
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Harbor frieght Needle picks

they look a little big in the pics.....which is why I use the dental picks. Some boards have really tiny holes that I know those wouldn't get through without damaging the through holes....nice find though, worth the beans to try for sure.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      they look a little big in the pics.....which is why I use the dental picks. Some boards have really tiny holes that I know those wouldn't get through without damaging the through holes....nice find though, worth the beans to try for sure.
      the straight one, yes.

The tip of the angled one is actually small enough to fit any capacitor hole that i have seen while recapping...
      sigpic

Comment

Nice. I used to have a pick a bit like that (only it might have been a bit smaller), but I lost it. I just use braid now.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I actually have a set of those EXACT same ones (and a few others). Not good really for that. Too big.

I use the smallest sewing needle I can find, held by a pair of wide pliers.

those joints look kinda bad rat. This is why I <3 my hakko 808 so much. After walking a cap out, I (with the hakko turned up to max) just suck that excess shit out after its wetted with good flux and leaded solder. I was doing a video card the other day with TERRIBLE solder and tiny joints. Was one time I had to actually use my hakko more then once on a few holes
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

That Board was a dead one that I had in the junk pile. no caps were actually re-installed on it. The joints look bad because they aren't completed joints. Besides, when I use this style of recapping

I previously used the needle+ pliers routine for this style recapping, IMHO it sucks. it is too clumsy and due to the local unavilabilty of SS needles (only nickel plated), It is a last resort. Not to mention that the needle snap in half really easily. I don't recommend it at all.

I don't have the $$$ for a hakko 808. I mainly use braid (now that I have a 60W iron).

Uranium, if you have a dead board, try the angled pick. it is NOT too big if you use it as I showed. Yes, the straight one is too big, as I demonstrated in post #1.

The only reason I did this was as a guide for those who don't have the $$$ for a nice professional iron/station or a Hakko 808. I actually think it works really well.
            sigpic

Comment

Harbor FrEIght even has them....
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Re: Harbor freight Needle picks

I just wanted to point out something RatDude said so people who are new to soldering/recapping know it. Stainless Steel is what should be used because solder will not stick to it. Good job with this find RatDude.
                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                  Harbor FrEIght even has them....
                  Fixed. I guess the rule about engineers being unable to spell is true for Engineering students too.

-----------------

I took some more pics, this time using another dead Board:

Yes, it had some stupid stuff done to it in the past. I will performing a hole clearing on the hole marked by the silver arrow.

After heating the joint with a heavily tinned tip and getting the tip of the pick to go in, we get this:

After twisting out the pick, we get this:

Which this capacitor:

... fits right into:

I see no issues with this method.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
                    I just wanted to point out something RatDude said so people who are new to soldering/recapping know it. Stainless Steel is what should be used because solder will not stick to it. Good job with this find RatDude.
                    It won't stick to nickel either... the problem is that such needles are PLATED and the plating easily wears/flakes off, revealing plain steel, which solder DOES stick to.

I am not sure what the picks' tips are made from but so far I haven't had wicking issues.
                    sigpic

Comment

I will add a little note to the usage- on some boards the angled pick goes most of the way through with 1mm left. The key is to be close, as the method is about allowing leads to fit, not eliminating all of the solder.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        Today, I found this at harbor frieght:

They also happened to be on sale this week... $2.99 instead of $4.99
                        They're also great to use as finger extensions in places you can't get your fingers into. I recently used them to jimmy a cap into a spot behind a heat sink that no human could have accessed without them. Saved me allot of time by not having to unsolder the heat sink, remove the transistors, etc. Pain in the ass, but still a life saver. I love my HF picks!

Comment

I actually bought a second set of these awhile back... because the first set I abused the crap out of... the old ones still work for soldering but since I was replacing my needle files anyway, I figured I'd grab a fresh set. a fresh set which I have yet to solder with (since the old set is in my desk and right in front of me).
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X