Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue ESR Meter assembly problem

Hi everybody!

Yesterday I assembled my blue esr meter according to the instructions and stumbled upon initial checks section (with only integrated circuits left to install), precisely: "Set both VR1 and VR2 to their mid-range positions and connect a 9V supply to the battery connection. Press the pushbutton. You should see something on the 7-segment LED displays, hopefully “-” on the left hand one.".

Well, my meter doesn't show any signs of life and I couldn't locate any soldering mistakes or wrong placement of components. What to do next? I will provide pictures later if necessary!

Re: Blue ESR Meter assembly problem

Just basic suggestions:

If you're using a battery, make sure it's not flat (dead, weak, etc.) I don't mean to insult your intelligence here, it's just that dead batteries can look just like fresh batteries.

If you're connecting a DC power supply to the battery clip, remember that the big terminal is positive and the smaller terminal is negative, which is opposite from the battery itself.

Comment

Unfortunately, the battery is fine!

Comment

Photos would probably be a good idea. Maybe a sharp-eyed member might see something you missed.

Comment

Yes Picture Please - how to post is as follows

Welcome to the forum-
          We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Ok, so here are the pictures...
            Attached Files

Comment

It is very confusing since on some pictures it might look like there's solder on board, but it's only light reflection from flux!

Comment

Hi - On the diagram (Revision 1)I have for the blue the cap at the top just under the left hand "8" is oriented with the negative leg at the bottom?

Also check the other two I have ringed The small cap on my diagram is the only one on the board which shows the negative leg (ringed in pink)all the others it show the positive. If so that could be the wrong way around.
                The Big Cap (Ringed yellow) just has a + at the top so could be either leg.
                Is your diagram better.- perhaps you can post it?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by selldoor; 07-23-2012, 02:50 AM.
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Great observation selldoor, thanks! Capacitor on the top left side indeed had wrong orientation. I corrected that, but nothing shows up on LED display yet. The small cap is fine, it's a + sign underneath actually, and the big one is bipolar!

Diagram I used is slightly different, I will post it!

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the ICs drive the 7 segment display so aren't they required for it to light up?
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Maybe having the cap reversed has damaged it? following quote from ELNA capacitor site

DC usage for aluminum electrolytic capacitors have polarity.

If the polarity is reversed, the electrical current across the capacitor will be extreme. Thus, possibly causing shorts or damage to the capacitor. Do not use a DC polarized aluminum electrolytic capacitor in circuits where the polarity is unstable or unclear. Also note that the bipolar aluminum electrolytic capacitors for DC usage cannot be used in AC circuits.

Comment

Hi, I think the Blue meter kit notes leave something to be desired (I didn't write them but I should have). After putting all but the ICs on the board, the idea is to connect a battery and hold down the button while checking that you see very close to +5V (relative to battery negative) on pin 5 of IC2. At this point you won't see anything on the displays because the IC which drives them has not been installed yet.

If the +5V test is OK, then you install the ICs and push the button and hopefully you'll see "- " on the displays.

NB! In your photos, it looks like the socket's pin 1 notch for IC2 is on the right-hand side. Pin 1 of IC2 absolutely MUST be facing the left, not the right otherwise there's a good chance of destroying it. The same goes for IC3. Double check the pictures in the kit notes. Disregard the position of the paint dot (which is probably at the wrong end)... pin 1 is indicated by a small notch on the IC itself!

I hope this info helps....
                        Last edited by Bob Parker; 07-23-2012, 11:51 AM.
                        It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Bob is quite correct ( well he would be the one to know).

You MUST read the above post and turn your IC socket

Comment

You don't really have to unsolder and reverse the socket, just as long as the IC itself is facing in the correct direction.

The time is 4AM here and I need to sleep after driving for 5 hours. I'll have a closer look at the photos when I'm more awake....

Comment

IT WORKS!!! I have checked pin 5 on IC2, +5V as you say it should be, mounted IC's, and that's it! Thanks Bob for clearing that up and selldoor for spotting a cap!

Tomorrow I will upload a photo of it!

Comment

Finally assembled unit and diagram...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Well done !- one of these days I will get around to getting one myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Moustahil View Post
                                    IT WORKS!!! I have checked pin 5 on IC2, +5V as you say it should be, mounted IC's, and that's it! Thanks Bob for clearing that up and selldoor for spotting a cap!

Tomorrow I will upload a photo of it!
                                    Well done.

If it's functioning properly then most likely all the components are in the right places. I'm away from home so I can't check your photos against my 'master' photo of what goes where on the PCB until I get back.

Good luck using the meter for what it's designed to do. The earlier Dick Smith Mk2 ESR meter is almost identical and you can download its detailed kit notes (which I did write) from

Comment

Originally posted by Moustahil View Post
                                      Finally assembled unit and diagram...
                                      Are those green/yellow caps made by Sanyo/Suncon? If yes, did you buy them from ebay? Most of them are fakes on ebay. It would be interesting to see a picture of the top, bottom (bung), and your ESR measurements of those caps.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Most of the pictured caps have curled leads which suggests they were rocked out of motherboards.
                                        sig files are for morons

Comment

Working...
                                        X